New Player Playstyle Theory

A place for people to introduce themselves or talk about other players.
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: NA

New Player Playstyle Theory

Post by Tenkz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:08 pm

I think a lot of why newer players are sometimes not invited to inhouses is because they try to play an offensive role which is usually subpar. A lot of what causes this offensive desire is that they play pubs, in which they are likely one of the most skilled players in their games. This leads to a sense of being a good offensive player, which is true only for that skill level. I think when exposed to a higher level of play, newer players may be more willing to play defense, as long as they have not been playing lower skilled games consistently. Therefore, players who have been playing mainly pubs for a long time, or players who succeed often in pubs, will be more attracted to play offense, regardless of skill level. If they are consistently in a level of higher play than they are shown in public games, which will be their standard of gameplay, they will likely adapt to whichever role, usually defense, is needed in their game.

The theory is basically as follows :

1. The newer the player is when they are consistently invited to inhouses, the more likely they are to adapt their playstyle to fit the needs of the game. In the end, they will become a more versatile player.
2. The longer players remain in "pub meta" or the higher their ratio to pub:inhouse games, the harder it will be for them to improve into a skilled, versatile player.
3. The process of stomping pubs artificially lowers the player's skill cap, which makes it much harder for them to improve past a certain point.
4. (obvious) Players improve faster or slower based on how high the skill level of the games they play are.

What this means :

-Get new players in inhouses ASAP or else they'll turn into limited players.
-Play more pubs.
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Re: New Player Playstyle Theory

Post by Watermelon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:11 pm

You elitist no life nerd! How dare you admit that anyone is more skilled than anyone else! You must be suffering from a god complex! How dare you, I'm so offended!
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz

Post by Tenkz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:13 pm

Watermelon wrote:You elitist no life nerd! How dare you admit that anyone is more skilled than anyone else! You must be suffering from a god complex! How dare you, I'm so offended!
It's okay, there are people willing to offer coaching for a small fee.
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by DerrocK » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:09 am

It is true that most players have that mentality but some others like myself, are bad losers and when I first started playing I dedicated to a def role in pubs which is rare and that let me and my pub team win often since there were a lot less breakaways
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
OptimusReim
Battle.net Name: Reimer
Battle.net Char Code: 367

Post by OptimusReim » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:25 am

With the 3k tourney there will probably be more people playing ZH than ever.

However it's hard to play a real "pub" with people ninja'ing onto each other. It makes for these blow outs where one team has 2 new players and the other team has relentless ZHL players. There should be some solution the community can come up with besides discouraging being unsportsmanlike to new players.
Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm
derpina
Battle.net Name: derpina

Post by derpina » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:42 am

"-Get new players in inhouses ASAP"

Scrubbest of the scrub pubs
:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
LittleDicky
Battle.net Name: LittleDicky
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by LittleDicky » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:45 am

So you're saying that if someone plays ih from game 1 he will be more versatile?
In my opinion such player is more likely to pick a role (or rather, people will pick for him) and he is gonna stay at it. Said role will be unlikely as an offensive player, since those will be already taken in most IH games he will play.

I believe in reality it's opposite of what you are saying. In pub games, you often need to play different roles, change roles in middle of game or even play on every position Kappa. Another thing is in pub you will often play goalie as well.
I agree that pub will block your skill growth but it can teach you play every position imo.
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:02 pm

Fun game if there's a few new people in the game is Most Passes Wins. Legitimate passing, not just farming.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
Vapour
Battle.net Name: Valour
Battle.net Char Code: 273

Post by Vapour » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:44 pm

I always believed higher skilled players should play more public games. There will always be games with stacked teams, you don't need to mercy the other team. Make the game a fun learning experience, breed further competition. If every ihplayer took the time to play one pub, and truly tried to make an entertaining experience for others, people will feel encouraged to keep playing. Allowing your teammates (or the other team) a chance to make some plays, even mentioning a couple things can really make people feel enlightened and continue to learn. #pubbieforlife
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:29 pm

In addition to what vap said, ih with observers was amazing when I first started. You could swap in players who sat and it gave a larger pool to balance games. Without observers, game slots are given to ninjas and whoever host picks. I think this lead to more exclusion.

About a year ago, there was inhouses, and then elite in houses. Elite in houses were extremely rare since there was such a small elite population. We've now moved into 3 categories of ih. Elite (still rare), advanced (generally 1st to 5th rounders), and average (2nd to 10th rounders) which Elite players often leave lobby or finish game and then say "1 for real in house." the reason why they've become separated like this is because of no observers. If a player joins an advanced lobby and doesn't do well, they're often written off in the next game and aren't invited.

Moving on to how players develop into their roles:

Offense:
Players who really want to play offense will play offense. However, this means they'll have to endure endless shit slinging from players until they can prove themselves good enough to score. This won't come instantly, and if you hold the puck a lot on the offensive zone, teammates will get pissed. Therefore offensive players should still join advanced in houses to try to improve, but expect that some people will give you shit and just hope they invite you back. If you join an average inhouse, you might not get as much shit for it, but you'll need to prove that you at least can score a few. Offensive players need to have a thick skin, like goalies if they want to excel at their position, but since there is a large quantity of skaters, it will be tough to guarantee consistent invites with a heavily offensive minded playstyle.

Support/Defense:

Often have played a decent amount of pubs to the point that winning isn't their main concern. They try to feed the puck around and recognize when their team is missing a third man back. These players will develop long passing and vision quite quickly and will not be great at clicking and 1v1 scoring initially. They will often be welcome in average and advanced in houses since they play the position that isn't very heavily analyzed. As long as they don't give up too many third man turnovers, these players won't encounter many shotstorms while developing. However, name recognition will be tough to come by since a lot of players opt for these roles (mostly support, defense isn't a wildly contested position because a lot get tired of being to be perma d with no rotations).

Goalies:

Basically word for word from the offensive player paragraph. HOWEVER, there is such a small population of goalies that they almost always get invited to advanced and average in houses. They will still endure shotstorms from teammates, but so long as they can shrug it off, they will continue to develop.

Conclusion:
The hardest position to develop into is offense since you will be shit on for not scoring and then often replaced and won't see the light of day in inhouses because benches aren't used.
The best way to help the community progress is by opening up to league mode and making sure the appropriate players are benches. This will give more players exposure to different playstyle this helping them learn. Second, we need to rotate in players who sat in previous matches. Even if it makes it semi imbalanced, do what you can and don't be too hard on them. Third, don't get out of a game and say "1 for real ih." it's belittling and hurts the community. Play the average in even if you're a top tier player and don't get mad if you lose. Trust your teammate to do his job (even if you're pretty sure they will fail) because of they don't get the opportunity, they don't get any practice and chances to improve.

*Disclaimer: this is all my personal opinion. I'm not saying any of this is fact.

/essay
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile