New Player Playstyle Theory

A place for people to introduce themselves or talk about other players.
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: New Player Playstyle Theory

Post by l)arkangel » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Also, play pubs sometimes and don't play greedily. Once players see how high the skill ceiling is, they might become more interested. One of my first games was with cerv, bobbyo, bucecampbell, and some other in players but we were in a pub. I immediately went looking for the forums and found out about the zeot hockey group because I saw how good players had gotten and wanted to join the community because it was also a friendly environment while also competitive.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by Tenkz » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:28 pm

l)arkangel wrote:Also, play pubs sometimes and don't play greedily. Once players see how high the skill ceiling is, they might become more interested. One of my first games was with cerv, bobbyo, bucecampbell, and some other in players but we were in a pub. I immediately went looking for the forums and found out about the zeot hockey group because I saw how good players had gotten and wanted to join the community because it was also a friendly environment while also competitive.
Agreed. Within my first 40 games I played with a few of the following people :

Ruckle (when he was skating as Levi), LingKing, Watermelon, Teroh

And seeing good players really made me want to play more.
forumusername
Battle.net Name: kwakster

Post by forumusername » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:29 pm

im triggered
[+] ruckLUL

LF mediation
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:11 pm

Players who play pubs too long develop bad habits that are hard to break. They operate on a self-affirming delusion of skill because their bad habits are effective in pubs. Their delusion is strengthened further when they beat a pub team with a good player on it, instead of recognizing the player lost because he, too, had these pubs on his own team (imagine Tom Brady playing with no one on his team who can catch - his stats look bad, he loses, but these facts don't reflect what actually happened - and imagine the quarterback of the opposing team thinks this means he's better than Tom Brady and should not strive to improve).

Their delusion is strengthened further by other players. Every time you tell someone "gj" when they make a terrible decision that just happens to work once, you hinder that player's improvement (imagine your 1 year old son runs into the street and then barely dodges a passing vehicle. you wouldn't say "nice dodge", you'd say he got lucky and shouldn't do that again). These players need someone to tell them what they're doing wrong, because they simply don't see it themselves. Telling someone "gj" over and over isn't exactly the nicest thing you can be doing for them.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249

Post by krazymen » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:23 pm

WEOW NICE DODGE M8 IR8 8/8 IWISH U MUM CULD SEE DAT DODGE NO H8
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies
Kholin
Battle.net Name: Kholin
Battle.net Char Code: 610

Post by Kholin » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Another problem for players transitioning from pubs to IHs is that a player in a pub who can score will quickly realize once you are facing Elite goalies like TK, CK, etc, and elite defenders (or just defense in general) that they can't score at all. Theres not much you can do to solve that, but there are things that you can do to help pub stars transition into the more competitive play. Pub offense will never work in a decent IH, and that needs to be explained. The first thing all new players should be taught to do isn't shoot, but to pass and defend. Puck mechanics needs to come first, all else can follow. If players can learn to pass, steal, defend, and position, then from there they can incorporate those skills into offense.
      • Dont worry, Im a Koalafied goalie
LinGuini
Battle.net Name: lingking
Battle.net Char Code: 166

Post by LinGuini » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:17 am

Watermelon wrote:imagine your 1 year old son runs into the street and then barely dodges a passing vehicle. you wouldn't say "nice dodge"
LOOOOOOL
LinGuini
Battle.net Name: lingking
Battle.net Char Code: 166

Post by LinGuini » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:18 am

KholinGoal wrote:Pub offense will never work in a decent IH

but pub goalie will. just ask water Kappa
iSpyGecko
Battle.net Name: iSpyGecko
Battle.net Char Code: 1819

Post by iSpyGecko » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:15 am

Watermelon wrote:(imagine your 1 year old son runs into the street and then barely dodges a passing vehicle. you wouldn't say "nice dodge", you'd say he got lucky and shouldn't do that again)
hey its me. new player. also this has to be the worst analogy ive ever read.

Gandalf
Battle.net Name: Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:38 pm

I concur with Darkangel! Observing was the key to my development...and it has changed so much in the past few years! Eric got me into ZH and taught me a few tricks as a goalie. I spent only a few weeks in pubs and got into IH's basically right away - mainly because 1) I knew Eric and he'd invite me, and 2) because everyone wants a goalie. However, many games Cafca, TK, CK, and other goalies were there so I'd be put (willingly) into the observing role. As creepy as this sounds...I'd just watch them and try to replicated their positions and ask a ton of questions. (I'm not saying I developed into a pro goalie - but I can at least easily stop a proster shot now)

Since whatever update made teams more than 5 people (league mode) + no obs besides league mode, the only person I've seen type "2" (or "3") is Goza (which I still don't know why he likes obsing so much). "2" was huge part of the rotation of players back when I started. If I sat one game, I'd generally get to play in the next 1 or 2 games. This opens up the player pool more than the current lobbies.

I think skill gap has more to do with the lack of low ih mingling with high ih player, than player position does. When lower skilled players join IH's, I tend to see more position rotation if anything.

How to lessen this skill gap..?...First off, this skill gap is decreased by league for sure. Splitting up the best players and putting high IH players with them makes these mid-high -> high ih players much better. I think the biggest issue is people like Waterfelon. Who will leave the lobby if there are not good enough players in it for another lobby...or even hopes of another lobby. Many of us are guilty of this and we should all def. try to do less of it. We just have to remember that we'll play a lot of high quality ih's in our lives and we can play a few lower.

#Dislaimer: this is all fact and no personal opinion