Shot Clock

Post suggestions you have here that relate to the game's mechanics
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Shot Clock

Post by Watermelon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:18 pm

I would prefer it to be visible from 30 to 0, so both teams know exactly how long is left. (Scenario: theres 60 game seconds left, a big click battle ensues and winning team gets the puck at some point, losing team should be able to know 100% when the shot clock started in order to make a strategical decision)
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by Tenkz » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:49 pm

on second thought im not too sure about this

ive been trying new things on offense with a couple of my friends in IHs and we've hit 60%+ possession and at least 30 seconds of possession multiple times in a few games
id really prefer a 45 second shot clock, but it drains 2x as fast on ur half
the current 30 second shot clock is really punishing for a possession-based team
ilvsntrs
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by ilvsntrs » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:58 pm

Last edited by ilvsntrs on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watermelon

Post by Watermelon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:34 pm

Tenkz wrote:on second thought im not too sure about this

ive been trying new things on offense with a couple of my friends in IHs and we've hit 60%+ possession and at least 30 seconds of possession multiple times in a few games
id really prefer a 45 second shot clock, but it drains 2x as fast on ur half
the current 30 second shot clock is really punishing for a possession-based team
I don't think it's very punishing tbh, but send me a replay and I'll take a look

ilvsntrs wrote:"zealot hockey is a fast paced game"
-30sec shot clock
-45sec shot clock
r u guys serious whats the point of the shot clock if u just gonna hold the puck for 30sec then shoot this makes no sense. i look at waters data
-The average time for all possessions was ~9.5 seconds, with an average standard deviation of ~5.4 seconds.
-The average time for possessions resulting in a shot on net was ~9.6 seconds.
-The average among recorded maximums was ~22.8 seconds, with the highest raw maximum being ~27 seconds.
like pls , MAXIMUM is 27!!!!
if u rly want a fun challenging game put a 15sec shot clock anything above that wont change anything in the current playstyle

all i see is a thread with a fake solution. if this is added to the game ppl will be like "lolumad we aint bitchwalking there is a shotclock bro". Shot clock wont help. u can say the referee calls are subjective all u want but you dont need a fucking degree in medicine with fucking 9years study to know when one guy is bitchwalking.
Referee calls is by far the most legit efficient and logic way to stop bitchwalking rather than a pseudo antibitchwalking system (ur shot clock bs). like i said above everyone can tell when somebody is bitchwalking its not fking rocket science. fk u and fk this useless thread.

You're missing the point entirely. The shot clock is to nerf excessive bitchwalking, not to "change the current playstyle". I think most ZH players are happy with current non-bitchwalking play. I'd also like to point out that no bitchwalking took place in the games I recorded, meaning the raw maximums are not reflecting bitchwalked possessions, they are reflecting the longest legitimate offensive possessions observed.

The following quote is basically a retrospective rebuttal of the actual substance in this post (all I'm really seeing is "people will hold the puck for 30 whole seconds! wow!")
Watermelon wrote: What a shot clock does, that caster rulings can never do, is it ensures that every player in the game understands what is allowed and not allowed to take place. No longer will a team thats losing have to sit there and wonder, "are they stalling or looking for a pass? will the caster call it if this guy holds another 20 seconds, or do i have to yolo?". This confusion of rule enforcement should not exist in a video game.

Nice ad hominem though! It really makes your case! :D
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
ilvsntrs
Battle.net Name:

Post by ilvsntrs » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:53 pm

i dont know why u use the bitchwalk as an excuse to add a shotclock to the game when your team used it in the zh3k tournament lol.
doesnt look like a problem to u right?
Watermelon

Post by Watermelon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:56 pm

ilvsntrs wrote:i dont know why u use the bitchwalk as an excuse to add a shotclock to the game since your team used it in the zh3k tournament lol.
doesnt look like a problem to u right?
Why do you think it's mutually exclusive to both use something and also recognize that it needs to be nerfed? Have you never played any video game where something was overpowered so you chose to use it until it got nerfed, but you also conceded that the game would be better if it were nerfed? Does that not make sense to you? Quit with the ad hominem, it's embarassing.
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
ilvsntrs
Battle.net Name:

Post by ilvsntrs » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:57 pm

i never bitchwalked in this game no
the fact that you dont feel bad about it is sad
Watermelon

Post by Watermelon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:01 pm

ilvsntrs wrote:i never bitchwalked in this game no
the fact that you dont feel bad about it is sad
How is this even relevant to the discussion? I rebuked your "logical" criticism so you resort to attacking my character? Please do yourself a favor and read this: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacie ... minem.html

I won't be responding to any more personal attacks from you. If you want to debate this like men, then provide an actual argument.
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
ilvsntrs
Battle.net Name:

Post by ilvsntrs » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:05 pm

just reply : do you feel bad when your team bitchwalk?
A : yes
B : no
easy
MoS
Battle.net Name: MoS
Battle.net Char Code: 671

Post by MoS » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:33 pm

Actually another argument for putting a shot clock at a higher duration like Tenkz proposed is that puting a timer at 30 seconds or the possession gets turned over might turn defensive games to trash. Indeed, why do I need to attack that much the puckholder if I'm gonna end up with the puck by just staying in front of the goal?

Shotclock nerfs bitchwalking, but also makes defense even easier. Right now, if the 2 skaters stay around the net, defending the lowest possible, my team will probably never get the puck from it, but will probably concede less goals, and the opponent to take less shots. Though thats a viable strategy, it's not encouraged by the current game with aims at a more fast and offensive gameplay (counter, interception...).

But with a timer, defense will literally NEVER commit in a league or important play if the timer is low enough. No point taking risks if your team ends up with the puck after 25 or 30 seconds. Just let them skate around, fail their shot in a very tight and cluctch defense around net, and get the puck out of it. So putting it up to 45 might be better to encourage an healthier, imo, or at least more spectacular and intense gameplay.

Of course this is debatable for I have no data about this. Just an idea of what could happen. Though we have to make sure that by getting rid of bitchwalk we don't create another abuse of the game rules.