Shot Clock

Post suggestions you have here that relate to the game's mechanics
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Shot Clock

Post by Watermelon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:48 pm

MoS wrote:Actually another argument for putting a shot clock at a higher duration like Tenkz proposed is that puting a timer at 30 seconds or the possession gets turned over might turn defensive games to trash. Indeed, why do I need to attack that much the puckholder if I'm gonna end up with the puck by just staying in front of the goal?

Shotclock nerfs bitchwalking, but also makes defense even easier. Right now, if the 2 skaters stay around the net, defending the lowest possible, my team will probably never get the puck from it, but will probably concede less goals, and the opponent to take less shots. Though thats a viable strategy, it's not encouraged by the current game with aims at a more fast and offensive gameplay (counter, interception...).

But with a timer, defense will literally NEVER commit in a league or important play if the timer is low enough. No point taking risks if your team ends up with the puck after 25 or 30 seconds. Just let them skate around, fail their shot in a very tight and cluctch defense around net, and get the puck out of it. So putting it up to 45 might be better to encourage an healthier, imo, or at least more spectacular and intense gameplay.

Of course this is debatable for I have no data about this. Just an idea of what could happen. Though we have to make sure that by getting rid of bitchwalk we don't create another abuse of the game rules.
This is definitely a possible issue that could arise; it's hard to really say until we have tested it extensively in-game. I definitely wouldn't advocate putting the shot clock directly into league mode as a mandatory option, but rather make it optional for awhile to identify any unexpected problems it introduces to the game (so on NA we definitely won't have a shot clock for S7, but perhaps S8 if testing goes well).
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by Tenkz » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Watermelon wrote:
MoS wrote:Actually another argument for putting a shot clock at a higher duration like Tenkz proposed is that puting a timer at 30 seconds or the possession gets turned over might turn defensive games to trash. Indeed, why do I need to attack that much the puckholder if I'm gonna end up with the puck by just staying in front of the goal?

Shotclock nerfs bitchwalking, but also makes defense even easier. Right now, if the 2 skaters stay around the net, defending the lowest possible, my team will probably never get the puck from it, but will probably concede less goals, and the opponent to take less shots. Though thats a viable strategy, it's not encouraged by the current game with aims at a more fast and offensive gameplay (counter, interception...).

But with a timer, defense will literally NEVER commit in a league or important play if the timer is low enough. No point taking risks if your team ends up with the puck after 25 or 30 seconds. Just let them skate around, fail their shot in a very tight and cluctch defense around net, and get the puck out of it. So putting it up to 45 might be better to encourage an healthier, imo, or at least more spectacular and intense gameplay.

Of course this is debatable for I have no data about this. Just an idea of what could happen. Though we have to make sure that by getting rid of bitchwalk we don't create another abuse of the game rules.
This is definitely a possible issue that could arise; it's hard to really say until we have tested it extensively in-game. I definitely wouldn't advocate putting the shot clock directly into league mode as a mandatory option, but rather make it optional for awhile to identify any unexpected problems it introduces to the game (so on NA we definitely won't have a shot clock for S7, but perhaps S8 if testing goes well).
i think 45 seconds still allows for bitchwalking but doesn't interfere with offensive play
THEREFORE
i think 45 seconds but drains 3x faster behind the net and 1.5x faster on ur half of the ice is better, but a bit more complex
LittleDicky
Battle.net Name: LittleDicky
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by LittleDicky » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:03 am

I don't see a problem in testing this just in non-league mode. We will see in weeks if it needs to be shorter, longer or removed. Too much theory crafting can be done about it.
Maybe Music can even add a vote at game start to pick between: disabled, 15s, 30s, 45s.
hatestabkill
Battle.net Name: hatestabkill

Post by hatestabkill » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:57 pm

I think attacking the puck would be, as it is already in a shot clockless game, a high risk high reward play. Think of about someone yoloing third man when he has the puck *cough* alerteyes *cough*. If you miss, you leave your defense outnumbered, but if successful, you end up on a you v goalie fast break. Having a shotclock wouldn't change this dynamic.

As for defenders sitting around the crease waiting for the shot clock to expire, this basically already happens with no shot clock; granted you aren't rewarded with a free turnover for just sitting there for 30 seconds. I proposed long ago in a thread far away that a "lane" be introduced around the crease similar to the "paint" area on a basketball court. If a defender sits in the "paint" for more than 3 seconds without guarding an offensive player who is also in the "paint," a penalty shot is awarded (in basketball it's a technical foul and the offensive team gets two free throws and possession of the ball back). I don't wanna get this thread off track since it's about the shot clock but it's an idea for another time since bitch defense is just as shitty as bitch walking imo.
Alassau
Battle.net Name: Alassau
Battle.net Char Code: 2398

Post by Alassau » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:56 pm

Im not very into this shotclock but testing it if devs have the time, is ok.
I think it should be let to casters to call it.
Also, watermellon, i dont really like the way youre bitchwalking a lot just to prove your point lately.
I've never seen that much bitchwalk since this post was released. But its true that i'm new

PS: im not very into shot clock because i think its very situationnal.
Example : if you do 5 turn behind goalie, its bitchwalk.
If you take the same amount of time to set up offense, it's not.
themusic
Battle.net Name: themusic

Post by themusic » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:11 pm

Walking is part of the game :D

:*(
LittleDicky
Battle.net Name: LittleDicky

Post by LittleDicky » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:25 am

themusic wrote:Walking is part of the game :D

:*(
Both puck and player cannot be behind his own goal line simultaneusly for let's say 10 seconds without enemy present.
This timer is cumulative until enemy goes behind your goal line OR puck crosses half line.

btw. what's up with EU patch?
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:05 am

timely bump
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Yoda
Battle.net Name: Yoda
Battle.net Char Code: 2605

Post by Yoda » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:43 am

I'd like to see the shot clock tested in the current ZH Test Map along with all the other changes :) !
“Judge me by my size, do you?”
themusic
Battle.net Name: themusic

Post by themusic » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:52 am

^