Powerplay Feedback

Post suggestions you have here that relate to the game's mechanics
spach15
Battle.net Name: elSPACH
Battle.net Char Code: 1255
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Powerplay Feedback

Post by spach15 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:36 pm

Lime wrote:I mean, i haven't play this yet so this might be completely wrong, but could this be basically a free goal if played right? , having an extra offending player means a free pass to a player since if spaced right the defender shouldn't be able to cover two people at once and having that extra attacker means more passes and more gaps for pretty much an "easy" goal, and even if the attack fails, the goalie can just go back and save like usual. Seems pretty imba and im sure a well synergy team can pull of a goal pretty often from this. But as i said, i haven't played which im probably retarded for posting this and not trying it out.
The other team still has a goalie and 3 defenders? Free?
Lime
Battle.net Name: Lime
Battle.net Char Code: 2821
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by Lime » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:43 pm

spach15 wrote:
Lime wrote:I mean, i haven't play this yet so this might be completely wrong, but could this be basically a free goal if played right? , having an extra offending player means a free pass to a player since if spaced right the defender shouldn't be able to cover two people at once and having that extra attacker means more passes and more gaps for pretty much an "easy" goal, and even if the attack fails, the goalie can just go back and save like usual. Seems pretty imba and im sure a well synergy team can pull of a goal pretty often from this. But as i said, i haven't played which im probably retarded for posting this and not trying it out.
Lets just put it , A free opportunity to get an advantage in the following attack. Assuming that the goalie is a good fielder as well as goalie, all fielders can use that extra one player as a free pass, no? and that free pass can lead to a player on the crease looking for a goal or a nice snipe. if each player spaced out during the attack the 4th fielder/goalie can look for a snipe on the goal, or pass to someone on the crease of the field for a 1t. And by free i mean the goalie can just go back to being in goal when the attack fails and the game continues. It doesn't matter if the team has a goalie and 3 defenders when they can't fully protect the goal.
Also to mention , my playstyle is probably way different which is why my perspective on this may sound retarded.
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by DerrocK » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:55 pm

U jst fkn suk lime but thx for carrying me in the redlime tourney ;d
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
Marker
Battle.net Name: Marker
Battle.net Char Code: 164

Post by Marker » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:04 pm

0/10 dont have my dragon armour

PGP KEY

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BO0QBS9-l_SW03alNQMnF6Z0U/view?usp=sharing
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:25 pm

Lime wrote:
spach15 wrote:
Lets just put it , A free opportunity to get an advantage in the following attack. Assuming that the goalie is a good fielder as well as goalie, all fielders can use that extra one player as a free pass, no? and that free pass can lead to a player on the crease looking for a goal or a nice snipe. if each player spaced out during the attack the 4th fielder/goalie can look for a snipe on the goal, or pass to someone on the crease of the field for a 1t. And by free i mean the goalie can just go back to being in goal when the attack fails and the game continues. It doesn't matter if the team has a goalie and 3 defenders when they can't fully protect the goal.
Also to mention , my playstyle is probably way different which is why my perspective on this may sound retarded.
you can call any situation "a free goal if played right". you're completely taking the meaning out of the word "free". i would definitely try it out before saying its op.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
maha
Battle.net Name: maharishi
Battle.net Char Code: 576

Post by maha » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:54 pm

Lime wrote:
spach15 wrote:
The team on powerplay still has to beat 3 defenders, which is always difficult against players with good zoning, lane coverage, and stealing. If played properly, it should create more options for scoring. Not at all a free goal, just an advantage.
"This is the most absurd piece of garbage that can't even be applied to the actual league. Great job embarrassing yourselves."
Meepomart
Battle.net Name: Meepomart
Battle.net Char Code: 550

Post by Meepomart » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:51 am

Generally speaking, I like any changes in Zealot Hockey that freshen up the meta and deepen complexity and teamplay. In that sense, I really like the powerplay mechanic because it opens up another layer of strategy for players to take advantage of. That being said, two concerns:
  1. Powerplay is unfriendly for new players.
    1. Goalie is already one of the most non-intuitive roles in the game, just the idea of using stop to position the stick is difficult to grasp for newer players. Granted, there are not many new players these days... :cry: Nonetheless, I can easily see powerplay becoming an issue in public games where rotational goalie is standard. New players might accidentally trigger a powerplay, let in a goal while skating, become frustrated, and get turned off from the game - not to mention frustrating all their teammates. Lots of potentially unpleasant shenanigans for pubs.
  2. Powerplay reduces the impact and value of high-level goaltending.
    1. Hear me out - in my eyes, the ideal way to utilize powerplay is to use the entirety of the 40 second duration so that the goalie is literally skating for 67% of the game. The more time that your team has possession, the better your team is taking advantage of powerplay. This should shift the meta towards favoring slow, methodical play with a very skilled skater in net. Using powerplay well also means that if a team in powerplay turns the puck over, it will always result in an even or favorable defensive setup. In other words, powerplays should never result in breakaways against the team that used it. So, in its current form, I see powerplay creating a meta where goalies will really only need to be capable of stopping snipes and rudimentary one-timer plays. Drafting a goalie for their goaltending ability would almost seem counter productive, since you ideally want them skating for 67% of every game. Furthermore, the most advantageous position for the goalie to be skating in is forward, since they are eventually going to be teleporting back to the defensive zone at infinite range. My concern is that the players that have specialized into learning goalie almost exclusively are going to be massively devalued in competitive play. I am also worried that powerplay will greatly reduce the incentive for anyone to learn goaltending at a high level. It would seem that with the powerplay mechanic, the path to becoming a high value goalie will be to first become a superior forward or support player, and only then to transition into mastering the powerplay mechanic as a goalie. To me, this is a very strange way to become a goalie and devalues all players that have focused on goaltending rather than skating.
Again, while I greatly appreciate changes that breathe new life into what can be a rather stale meta, I do not think that the current form of powerplay would improve all players' experience in Zealot Hockey. To me, the long term effects that powerplay would have on the meta and community make it unsuitable for the live version (despite how fun powerplay is).

I would ask that instead of goalies impacting offense by becoming skaters, they need a way to impact offense that is unique to goalies. If anything, it should be a mechanic that raises the skill cap of goalies rather than encouraging players to learn to play forward - which is arguably the most popular role anyway.
Bulbasaaur
Battle.net Name: Bulbasaaur
Battle.net Char Code: 615

Post by Bulbasaaur » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:27 am

hey ill lock goalie if u give me instant stop
Lime
Battle.net Name: Lime
Battle.net Char Code: 2821

Post by Lime » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Watermelon wrote:
Lime wrote:
spach15 wrote: The other team still has a goalie and 3 defenders? Free?
you can call any situation "a free goal if played right". you're completely taking the meaning out of the word "free". i would definitely try it out before saying its op.
You're right , you could call any situation "a free goal if played right" sort of.. as i said in my first post i didn't try it out which is why i might be wrong or i guess seen wrong. However i did rephrase what i meant to say to a reply to spach15 with " A free opportunity to get an advantage in the following attack" which was dull anyway as the opposite team also has the chance so ignore the posts,
maha wrote:
Lime wrote:
spach15 wrote: The other team still has a goalie and 3 defenders? Free?
The team on powerplay still has to beat 3 defenders, which is always difficult against players with good zoning, lane coverage, and stealing. If played properly, it should create more options for scoring. Not at all a free goal, just an advantage.

Thanks for agreeing that it creates more options and scoring opportunity's. and as i rephrased "A free opportunity to get an advantage in the following attack"
Marker
Battle.net Name: Marker
Battle.net Char Code: 164

Post by Marker » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:22 pm

Bulbasaaur wrote:hey ill lock goalie if u give me instant stop
ya know theres a -stop command right?

PGP KEY

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BO0QBS9-l_SW03alNQMnF6Z0U/view?usp=sharing