2v2 Redline Mini Tourney - Monday 3/28

TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: CN

Re: 2v2 Redline Mini Tourney - Monday 3/28

Post by TeeKay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:37 pm

Thanks for playing -- hopefully its the first of many.

Congrats to Three and Tenkz for winning the first mini redline tourney after beating Tom and Rush in a hard fought 3 game series. It ended up being bigger than expected with the Mini name -- with 17 teams involved.

I want to say a special special shoutout to Krazy for casting the tourney and Jmoney/Kwak for co-casting. Thanks to Marker and Meepo with helping run the scores/lobbies with me and thanks to all my goalies (Carlito, Eric, Salokin, Daggius, Meepo, Marker) for helping out too.

Bracket/Results:
http://challonge.com/miniredline

I definitely want feedback on what we can do better. Like i said this was a quickly put together dry run and I'd take any and all considerations into what we can change and improve.
Zhaftus
Battle.net Name: Shaftman
Battle.net Char Code: 1739
Battle.net Server: NA

Post by Zhaftus » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:09 am

more tourney asap! too fun too good and revenge is needed for many.
Meepomart
Battle.net Name: Meepomart
Battle.net Char Code: 550

Post by Meepomart » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:04 am

Seeing as how quickly this was able to be set up, I'm thinking this should be perhaps a bi-weekly or monthly mini-tournament. 17 Teams done in just over 2 hours, pretty manageable if you ask me; 1 day of ZHL can take longer. I also noticed there was no massive amount of bitchwalking, whining, ddos'ing, qq'ing, pause-walking, or general shenanigans in the finals like there seem to have been in past events. Other than the classic afk-vapour ruining everybody's predictions, things went really well. #where'smyringvap

I could be very wrong though, if regular tourneys are too much work for you TK then obviously it's more than OK for it to be a once-in-a-while thing. My other concern for a regularly occurring redline tourney would be lack of hype. I've seen before in Starcraft 2 that regularly scheduled tournaments often lost steam after a while. They'd be popular for 2 months then die off, only to revive again 6 months later for another 2 months. That would be sad for ZH :(

More immediately, I think the main thing we lacked for this tourney was casting. Krazy, JMoney and Kwak did a great job for every game they casted, but with so many games happening simultaneously, I'm certain there were many great games that our casting crew didn't have the opportunity to cast. In the same breathe though, I really liked how quickly this tournament went. Announced, registered, and completed in 2(?) days! I think this greatly contributed to the low-bm atmosphere and excitement -- low stakes and the hype was super fresh. So spreading out a tournament over several days to allow more games to be casted is not something I'd like to see.

Frankly, I'm not sure how we can get more games casted in such a short amount of time. I was going to suggest a second stream with a second set of casters, but I feel that since we are a relatively small community and had ~50 viewers last night, these viewers might get spread very thin between two streams and leave one casting crew feeling unloved :((((( Perhaps a better way is to have our casters hop between simultaneous games seamlessly? I've seen it done for Starcraft 2 tournaments but I don't have a good idea of how they do it.

Anyway, congratz again to Tenkz and Three and I'm super hyped for the next tourney TK! Thanks for putting this one together, you da real MVP.

*Side note: I just noticed gfycat got implemented in forums. WHO DONE DIS?! SHOUTOUT TO METS FOR BRINGING IT UP
**SIDE SIDE NOTE: DAMN PROF, BACK AT IT AGAIN WITH THE DANK IMPLEMENTATION *CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249

Post by krazymen » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:57 am

I assume that for casters to hop between games you would need 2 PC where each PC can stream and be in2 different games at the same time perhaps it was a big production tournament if not I'm not too sure how you would do that
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:

Post by TeeKay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:23 am

One thing I want to do in a bigger tourney is server flexibility. Ex If both teams are fine on east, especially where one team is EU and the other is east/central I want that game to be able to be on east. Or if both teams are west to let a west lobby happen. If teams can't agree then it'll default to central but I think a game like the semis between alassau and tenkz could have benefitted from being played on east. Thoughts?
daggius
Battle.net Name: daggius

Post by daggius » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:59 pm

Make goalies get eliminated based on how many goals they allow.

For example in the first round of the bracket if the median number of gpg for that round is 3, then every goalie who allowed more than 3 is eliminated from round 2. tie breaker is shots against.

it gives goalies a chance to win the tournament too instead of just skaters.

also have themusic make some sort of red skates that you get if u win the tournament for the prestige
htcp
Battle.net Name: htcp
Battle.net Char Code: 332

Post by htcp » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:22 pm

daggius wrote:Make goalies get eliminated based on how many goals they allow.

For example in the first round of the bracket if the median number of gpg for that round is 3, then every goalie who allowed more than 3 is eliminated from round 2. tie breaker is shots against.

it gives goalies a chance to win the tournament too instead of just skaters.

also have themusic make some sort of red skates that you get if u win the tournament for the prestige
I like this. Makes goalies try harder.
i'm tom
Marker
Battle.net Name: Marker
Battle.net Char Code: 164

Post by Marker » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:10 pm

krazymen wrote:I assume that for casters to hop between games you would need 2 PC where each PC can stream and be in2 different games at the same time perhaps it was a big production tournament if not I'm not too sure how you would do that
You can do this with 1 computer, and tab between each game, if it doesn't melt first.

PGP KEY

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BO0QBS9-l_SW03alNQMnF6Z0U/view?usp=sharing
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:

Post by TeeKay » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:02 am

I was thinking about how it might be possible to switch between games.

What if a player or a spectator in the game just had a stream running (mic off) and gave the twitch feed to the main caster and then the caster could switch to a feed if it is very interesting. It would be 30 sec delay per twitch, but it would be live to everyone not in the game (including the caster).

That might be a pretty low tech way to be able to switch between games.
Marker
Battle.net Name: Marker
Battle.net Char Code: 164

Post by Marker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:54 pm

Like a few choice people can run vlc player to stream it to a master computer, and then the streamer can switch in between those. Not sure how smart casters are if that could work. This is sort of how security monitor systems work.

PGP KEY

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BO0QBS9-l_SW03alNQMnF6Z0U/view?usp=sharing