ZH Amateur Tournament

percial
Battle.net Name: Squirtle
Battle.net Char Code: 181
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: ZH Amateur Tournament

Post by percial » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:24 pm

Yo jmunndog..
So what is the official start time? I'm hearing 4pm est, 6pm est, 8pm est..

Thanks you,
Purschelle
Image Percial, formerly known as Squirtle, formerly known as Percial.
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249

Post by krazymen » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:28 pm

4 pm est
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies
Demosthenes
Battle.net Name: Demosthenes
Battle.net Char Code: 852

Post by Demosthenes » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:02 pm

I will be there right at 4:05pm Wait for me! if kurt isnt playing i dont have the will to live..
JMoney
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by JMoney » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:44 pm

http://challonge.com/ZHAT

Final bracket for those that want to know seeding/follow along. People with a challonge account can report their own game scores. If you're not interested in making an account, let me,htcp or blitzerg know who won your series so we can record it.

Games until the winners final / losers final / grand final will be Best of 1 and uncasted. These games can happen simultaneously. As soon as both team's are ready, start the game. Games are expected to run in a timely fashion, so extended/egregious delays between sets will be dealt with.

Bo1 games must be played in league mode for 4 Minute OT. Games that exceed OT will be finished in shootout.

This tournament is double elimination, so if you lose once you drop to the losers bracket. If you lose again, your team is eliminated.

All games will be played on the Central server.

The Bo3 games (winners final / losers final / grand final) will be infinite overtime.
Last edited by JMoney on Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMoney
Battle.net Name:

Post by JMoney » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:48 pm

McSharp wrote:If any teams needs a replacement, etc., let me know. Skater or goalie...

-AnnaTosser
Team 3 may be needing a sub for Resteral. Can you contact me ASAP?
JMoney
Battle.net Name:

Post by JMoney » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Team 3 had some emergency changes. It's Entropy's birthday so he might not be around. Resteral had to bail as well. Tenkz (G) and Yoggi were put on the team as emergency replacements

Team 2 had to emergency sign Three (G) to replace Sidthekid
JMoney
Battle.net Name:

Post by JMoney » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:39 pm

Blitzerg added to tournament admins (me, htcp) , he can report scores from series.
JMoney
Battle.net Name:

Post by JMoney » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:47 pm

Post-Tournament Review / Wrap-Up Post

First thing's first; congratulations to Carlito's team of Tyrion, Slide, Asgarr, Angrytits, and of course Carlito himself.

I want to thank everyone that participated in the tournament today. Having as many people as we did show up to play in my tournament was great. I want to give a special shout out to all of the people that captained teams. Carlito, RusH, Gandalf, TwoDeuce, Lykingond are absolutely the people that got the tournament off the ground. Without people stepping up and forming their own teams I definitely wouldn't have gotten this passed the idea stage. I'd also like to thank the people that stepped up to play on the Free Agent teams. I think the tournament would have been a lot less exciting and less inclusive without you guys. A couple of players, namely Kurt and Kelvin saved two free agent teams from being disbanded, so without their help I would have gone into full panic mode. Additionally I want to thank the admins, Blitz, Krazy and htcp (and unofficially PeterDLai). The former two helped me with signups, to figure out limitations that teams would need to have & to keep things balanced - and the latter helped me run the tournament smoothly today - helping to stream games, and watch them to ensure everything ran smoothly. Also a final thanks to Meepomart, who helped me to cast the initial games of the tournament. The plan was for them to be uncasted, and I think that would have worked just as well, but I think casting those early games helped to create a better atmosphere. The Bo1 games were loosely/conversationally casted, then as we got to finals/elimination games, the gameplay was more emphasized.

"These aren't amateurs"

"Teams are imbalanced"

"Why can x play and y can't"

The original idea was to have this be a tournament exclusively for amateurs. As time went on, it became pretty clear that either A) amateurs weren't interested or B) they weren't aware. A lot of our signups were from experts that want to play on their off-position, or mid-level people that wanted to play for a team. This was obviously a problem due to the glaring lack of real amateurs. It took me until the last week to find out that the majority of newer players don't use the forums (at this point it was far too late to rebalance everything / kick teams out). If I were to do this again I would definitely advertise more aggressively in pubs, probe, and twitch chat. But the risk with that is that amateurs are more flaky than others.

From the level of play in this tournament, it was far more realistic to call it a mid-level tournament, but I opted not to re-brand as I was already pretty deep into the planning stage. So instead I worked towards balancing the teams. Ensuring that legit amateurs were not only able to play, but that they would have the chance to win games if they performed.

"When will I get my reward?"

This will be at the developer (themusic)'s discretion. I asked him when I first started the tournament if he would back it with a cosmetic prize, and he agreed. Last I heard he was working on it, and had ideas like an old school hockey/friday the 13th mask. I'm not 100% certain what the prize will be, but I am confident that themusic will work on it as he sees fit. themusic is our lord and savior. If he's not working on a cosmetic prize, he's working on something equally important, so pls dont harass him (also he's on vacation).

"x was clearly using AC, why wasn't he banned?"

AC users weren't punished this tournament for two reasons. 1) It's very hard to conduct an investigation in the midst of a tournament. Yes I am aware I was notified before everything started, but unless they were caught using during a tournament game there isn't much I can do. Time was a valuable resource in a long tournament like today. I can't imagine things would have gone well if I took an extra 30 minute break to investigate on such a polarizing topic. The run-time was already roughly 5.5 hours. 2) Banning someone mid-tournament puts a team at a heavy disadvantage. With rosters locked, they lose a player for the remainder of their tournament. Some teams may have been fine because they had subs, but other teams would have crumbled. I personally don't want to be the judge of whether AC positive effects one's game - or if it contributed to a win.

"Why didn't winners bracket champions have a bigger advantage?"

Tournament rules were pre-set saying that winners final, losers final and grand final would be best of 3. Because it was advised that we run a 1 day tournament instead of a 2 day tournament, having a best of 3 grand finals was our best option. Perhaps if there was a 2 day event for the semis / finals we could have ran a Bo5, or have the losers bracket champ have to beat the winners bracket champ twice in a row - but I think the way we did it was the most viable way to run things.

Hopefully that answers a lot of your questions.

As a final thought, I figured I'd rate my personal perception of the tournament.

Tournament Structure: 6/10

On one front, I think that the double elimination style of tournament was a success. But the poor distinction between mid-level and amateur players was a failure on my part

Stress Level: 8/10

Because of a lack of amateur players, the admins and I had to work especially hard to keep the tournament fair and competitive. I had doubts that things would run properly based on the moves I thought I would have to make to have the actual amateurs play on competitive teams. Scheduling also made things difficult. I had to make a couple last minute/last couple few days executive decisions without consulting the admins because they were busy.

Level of Play: 8/10

I think that the balance of teams is one thing that we got right. It was my personal perception that each and every team had a shot at winning games. Given the sketchy lines between mid-level & amateurs, there were also very few blowout games. Ideally I would have liked a team with legit amateurs to win the tournament, but I also felt like the teams with more amateurs weren't completely outclassed.

Downtime: 7/10

There were some extended breaks for some teams, but that is the nature of a double elimination tournament. Sometimes you don't know your opponent until a series or two finishes. Of course we weren't perfect, but I think the things within our control were handled well. The casted games were ready to go almost immediately after the last one ended (and I am definitely feeling it now after talking for 5 hours).

The only metric that really matters...do I consider the tournament a success?

Yes absolutely. However would I do things the exact same way again? Probably not. Mistakes were made, and there are always new & interesting ideas for tournaments.

PS: the team rush & friends curse is 4 real
Rigensis
Battle.net Name: Rigensis
Battle.net Char Code: 955
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by Rigensis » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:23 am

Was fun to watch from a twitch couch. Of course it was much more interesting for me - since carlito and eu friends played - i knew for which team to root. Kappa.
Golf story with an old man was made me laugh. "Did he win? You don`t know how gold works."

Big kudos on making this tournament happen - making an event is a noteworthy feat. JSuccess and great admins!
Slide
Battle.net Name: slide
Battle.net Char Code: 824
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by Slide » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:25 am

Great organisation jmoney, perfect idea you got there, first tournament for me without ANY Problem. The games were launched in a very fluid and fast way.
Well done !

love you j$ <3
Draft league (EUDL s2) : finalist
Draft league (EUDL3) : winner
Draft league (EUDL4) : winner
Draft League (ZHL8) : finalist
Draft league (EUDL6) : finalist (LUL)
Draft league (EUDL8) : winner
44 000 gambling Marker bot