AC Steal, Vap steal?

Dalton
Battle.net Name: IBDerping
Battle.net Char Code: 2820
Battle.net Server: EU

AC Steal, Vap steal?

Post by Dalton » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:26 am

Hello there,

I was watching a bit of the Reim Time episode with Watermelon and he refers to two techniques called AC or spam steal and Vap steal. I am not familiar with either, and would like to know how they work.
Could someone give me a small breakdown of how/when to do them?

Thanks.
ZachSmack
Battle.net Name: ZachSmack
Battle.net Char Code: 340
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: AC Steal, Vap steal?

Post by ZachSmack » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:44 am

A "Vap Steal" is when a player is far behind the opponent and steals using the tip of their stick so that they can quickly turn away from the previous puckholder and skate out of range of a resteal. This technique requires a good deal of practice and experience to get the timing down correctly, it's called a vap steal because Vapour was the first player to do it effectively.

A "Spam Steal" (or ac steal) is when you just spam click with your stick on top of the puck, this can be very useful for crease defense and/or stopping breakaways, this technique can be used offensively or defensively but most prefer to use it on defense because losing control of the puck isn't usually as big of a deal.

I hope this clarifies things for you, and remember that you will need to use each steal in different situations... truly good clickers can do both kinds of steals effectively.
Dalton

Post by Dalton » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:01 am

Hey thanks a lot for these explanations, i was hoping there was a little bit more to it though:P
In the interview watermelon gives a short description of the AC/Spam steal as "When you approach someone you hold the X button, click both mouse buttons and drag away from them" http://www.twitch.tv/zealothockey/c/6846528?t=37m38s

So the most interesting part he mentions is the dragging away, i dont understand how dragging away does anything? i was not aware dragging the mouse has any sort of effect at all? or does he just mean he moves the mouse away while spamming both mouse buttons?

Thanks!
ZachSmack
Battle.net Name: ZachSmack
Battle.net Char Code: 340

Post by ZachSmack » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:25 am

I believe he means drag the puck out of their steal range which is the most important thing you can do in a click battle. What he could also mean is drag your stick away with the puck in preparation for their resteal. (Which will effectively change where the puck is allowing you to setup for a better resteal opportunity)

The biggest thing I do when I'm spam clicking people is try to not click through them but to position my stick in the way of not only where they want to go but where I want the puck to go. You want to try and use your stick as both a weapon and a wall, because that's the most effective way to remain in control of the puck. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure water is referring to this in his reim time episode. As for dragging having any effect at all... it doesn't it makes no difference however moving where your stick is can make a huge difference in any steal.
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:59 am

Edit: I explained it and saw that Dalton read my post, so I'm now retracting what I said. Perhaps I will release this in a guide eventually.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Dalton

Post by Dalton » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:41 am

Thanks for the explanation, I understand and recognize it now you described it so clearly and am gonna be working on adding this to my repetoire.
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by DerrocK » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:02 pm

Dultun you already do that Im pretty sure. I was one of the firsts to introduce the AC steal both offensively and defensively in EU (at least I had never seen it before).
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
Dalton

Post by Dalton » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:35 am

I use them as Zach describes yes, Melon's interpetation/execution of this steal is slightly different though and something i've only been doing mostly defensive but not very effeciently.