NSIC YOU SUCK

l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: NSIC YOU SUCK

Post by l)arkangel » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:51 pm

a good defender can often shut tempo passing down pretty quickly since it's just one lane between the two. As long as the defender doesn't lose too much speed to get into the lane quickly (is set up properly as the play develops), they can stay in the passing lane for most of the duration of the drive even if the opponents boost. If the defender can either intercept the pass or get both players to press "x" and slow down, he's succeeded. If the offense gets the defender to press "x" without both offensive players pressing "x" the offense wins.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
ZachSmack
Battle.net Name: ZachSmack
Battle.net Char Code: 340

Post by ZachSmack » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:22 pm

l)arkangel wrote:a good defender can often shut tempo passing down pretty quickly since it's just one lane between the two. As long as the defender doesn't lose too much speed to get into the lane quickly (is set up properly as the play develops), they can stay in the passing lane for most of the duration of the drive even if the opponents boost. If the defender can either intercept the pass or get both players to press "x" and slow down, he's succeeded. If the offense gets the defender to press "x" without both offensive players pressing "x" the offense wins.
+1
NSIC
Battle.net Name: NSIC
Battle.net Char Code: 318

Post by NSIC » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:20 pm

l)arkangel wrote:a good defender can often shut tempo passing down pretty quickly since it's just one lane between the two. As long as the defender doesn't lose too much speed to get into the lane quickly (is set up properly as the play develops), they can stay in the passing lane for most of the duration of the drive even if the opponents boost. If the defender can either intercept the pass or get both players to press "x" and slow down, he's succeeded. If the offense gets the defender to press "x" without both offensive players pressing "x" the offense wins.
I think this analysis is highly truncated. First, tempo passing is not passing back and forth with the same player. Although it can be used this way, rather effectively.

Second, if the defender doesn't commit to the person with the puck and just blocks the lane, then their is no reason to not hold the puck and keep going.

Third, and most importantly, if the situation develops as explained, the use of Z-boost is critical to create that necessary space and should be sync'd as close as possible with your teammates. Of course if the defenders executions are on point then nothing will have changed, but that's expecting that the two defenders will be flawless for a number of procedures which I find in practice doesn't really happen. Even if the defenders boosts are delayed by a second the necessary space will have been created. You can even coordinate the boost on teamspeak like a professional e-sport player would.

Fourth, are you assuming straight lines(no cuts) in one direction?

All this is done in the context of a defense/offense transition. Which means their are lanes open everywhere.

Of course if this style of play becomes common, defenders will try to adapt, but I consider that a really skilled trio can do things you guys haven't even seen yet.
BacKFisCh
Battle.net Name: BacKFisCh
Battle.net Char Code: 396
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by BacKFisCh » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:11 am

Pls show us a video / replay / gif , where you have multiple pass opportunites availalbe to do tempo passing, playing against a top tier defense.

Good defense should be able to cover all passing lanes with 2 players (needs a defensive thinking support player). when you have this setup, its hard for any offense to find passes.
People are happy when they get a single pass for a 1 timer. See Water + Art combo in S4.

So when you take this plays, where do you have room left for a pass combo?
#votedraftleague2015
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:16 pm

The OP is referring to a "fast break" offense in which quick passes off of defense generate 2v1's on the other end. In 2v1 you make the defender pick between the passing lane and the shooting lane, and exploit whichever he leaves open. All 3 skaters heavily involved on offense doesn't work though, because it's so easy for the other team to score on a breakaway from risky passes to the 3rd man.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
NSIC

Post by NSIC » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:08 am

I'll post gif's as I accumulate them from games, could be awhile :lol:

Yes, it could be described as a fast break offense. And as Watermelon keenly points out, the use of the third man in the offensive play needs to be done with precision and care.

My wet dream is to have a team that is fluent in every position. This allows a dynamic rotation which can adapt to situations as they come. I wouldn't advocate for 3 man charge with reckless abandon. Their still needs to be safeguards, for instance if a team decides to keep a shark up top, it will force the opposing team to have a player hold back a bit. I think their are new meta's to be discovered and fully thought out with this style of play. I'm happy to explore them.
NSIC

Post by NSIC » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:16 am

Pretty sad how much BM I am getting for this post.

I really am dumbfounded by the comprehension of some individuals. Even strawman'ing me by claiming that I said Watermelon can't pass, when I have nothing but respect for Watermelon.

Srsly, the depth of stupidity of some of the members of this community is outstanding. I wouldn't think twice about quitting this game and joining a different hockey community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eReJFo-ATFU
^ Apparently the average age of this community is like 10 years old and I still think I could have more mature discussion.
Blitz
Battle.net Name: Blitzerg
Battle.net Char Code: 713

Post by Blitz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:26 pm

did I miss something or did NSIC double post himself? I'm kinda lost.

The only two links you ever need to click:
https://puu.sh/zFTwQ/57cfb6dd4f.png
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2556
OptimusReim
Battle.net Name: Reimer
Battle.net Char Code: 367

Post by OptimusReim » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:16 pm

Blitz wrote:did I miss something or did NSIC double post himself? I'm kinda lost.
Maybe someone deleted their reply or just referring to something from the ZH in-game chat?

I like NSIC so it's a shame about the BM. I think the meta and play-styles will always be evolving so I wouldn't doubt there's potential and validity to what he is saying.
Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm
NSIC

Post by NSIC » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:45 pm

In game attacks of course and just an overall sense of being snarky assholes. I doubt they have any real criticism that can hold up to logic and reasoning otherwise they would post it on the forums for everyone to discuss.

Thanks for your kind words Reim.

Here is a replay, I played the game cold so be nice with your judgements:
https://mega.co.nz/#!LUByUDKQ!OrVYllDpX ... Bsx4Wq8Ldo