Tips and Tricks for becoming a Top ZHL Skater

Counter_This
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: NA

Tips and Tricks for becoming a Top ZHL Skater

Post by Counter_This » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:33 pm

Hello everybody,

I've made this thread to share some knowledge on how to become a better skater. I have learned these different mechanics over the course of two ZHL seasons. This is here for everyone to learn at their own pace. Please note, you cannot do these well if you do not practice them. All of these mechanics can be done in practice by yourself. I converted everything into .gifs so that I could get them on here. That being said some of these may be difficult to understand. If you would like the .mp4 files I can share them with you through skype. If you ever see me online feel free to send me a PM and I will help you out with any of these techniques. If you have any other techniques you would like me to make videos for and at to this post please PM me on SC2. I do not check the forums very often, although I will try to stay up to date on this post.

Techniques and Mechanics:

Dribbling(Moderate-Hard difficulty)
Use: Avoid stealing, Controlled spam, Fast re-steals
Reason: Any time somebody comes near you they will be trying to steal the puck. By dribbling you are moving the puck out of your possession to avoid be stolen from and also keeping the puck in a controlled direction.
How To: Spam right click/left click in front of your zealot at a close distance. Zealot should not be turning due to your right click being to close. Puck should be chipped slightly in front of zealot so that possession is regained quickly.

Sweeping(Easy difficulty)
Use: Secure possession, Block snipes
Reason: Many beginners to mediocre players have issues with picking up the puck along the boards or in the center of the ice. Secure possession of loose pucks. Cover a larger area than just the zealot.
How To(Secure Possession): The puck being your target, right click 3x to the left, center, and right of the puck to sweep your stick in order to guarantee a pickup.
How To(Block snipes): 1 on 1 scenarios as defender. Retreat toward your own net and sweep stick left/right or up/down to cover the near or far side gap(whichever your goalie isn't blocking).

Wall Bounces(Moderate difficulty)
Use: Avoid stealing, Forward progress, Create offensive opportunities
Reason: If a defender is moving directly toward you this technique will keep the puck out of their possession and allow you to collect the puck with the defender now behind you.
How To: Right click the direction you want to go, hit the puck to the boards at the appropriate angle depending on your momentum to catch the puck again. After passing the puck to the boards keep right clicking toward your destination.

Efficient Turning(Easy difficulty)
Use: Efficiency!
Reason: Limit the amount of clicks for a turn. Maximize your efficiency for the direction you are turning.
How To: Right click approximately 170% behind your zealot.

Spinning(Easy difficulty)
Use: Juke goalie, Secure Possession
Reason: By spinning your goalie has no clue which direction you will move causing them to Z boost or stay in a single spot. This grants you the option to choose the direction to go and make the goalie react to you. You may also use half spins or full spins to secure puck possession.
How To: (see Efficient Turning) Right click in a triangle around your zealot.

Momentum Spins(Easy difficulty)
Use: Juke Goalie and/or skaters, Maintain momentum, Secure possession
Reason: This technique may be used to confuse goalies or defending players on the direction you are going. You may also conduct a spin in order to pickup a loose puck.
How To: Right click once, 2nd right click perpendicular to first click, 3rd click toward your destination.

Right Click Steal Evasion(Easy difficulty)
Use: Avoid stealing, Forward progress
Reason: Avoid the stealing radius of opponents while passing them.
How To: Right Click(above, below, behind) your zealot away from the opponents zealot then right click toward your destination.

Quick Puck Movement(Moderate-Hard difficulty)
Use: Avoid stealing
Reason: By performing this mechanic you will change the location of the puck quickly which also changes the area that you may be stolen from. This also starts your movement in a desired direction.
How To: Just as you gain possession of the puck, left click near your zealot the direction you wish to go, press x and then right click the desired direction.

Quick Pick Up(Moderate difficulty)
Use: Maintain momentum, Secure possession
Reason: Pickup the puck while maintaining your forward momentum. This does not slow you down by moving out of your way to collect the puck.
How To: As you are moving past the puck, right click on top of the puck and then back forward.

The Legendary Swiftwalk(Easy difficulty)
THIS IS PROVEN EFFECTIVE! In Season 6 of the Zealot Hockey League rules were created to stop this specific type of "bitchwalking". Excelsior!
Use: BM opponents, Create offensive opportunities, Kill time
Reason: This tool is used to frustrate your opponents to get their emotions involved in the game thus messing up their mechanics. It takes two opponent skaters to potentially get the puck on you or force you out of the Swiftwalk granting 2 on 1 oppurtunites. Run time off of the clock. *Only use if in the lead*
How To: Right click around the net hitting "x" on the corners to make tighter turns.
poopeybutt
Battle.net Name: cowsmoke
Battle.net Char Code: 1234
Battle.net Server: KR

Re: Tips and Tricks for becoming a Top ZHL Skater

Post by poopeybutt » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:49 pm

Tips and tricks for becoming an *average* zh player. While these moves are nice, they are nowhere near the level required to become a top ZHL skater. Good tips though.
I might be on in a week or so...
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:53 pm

Nice post swift
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by Tenkz » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:26 am

poopeybutt wrote:Tips and tricks for becoming an *average* zh player. While these moves are nice, they are nowhere near the level required to become a top ZHL skater. Good tips though.
gigidapopper: Gratz on playoffs win frnd
Lolololol jk!
Last Message 12:06 AM

And this is how you become a true top ZHL skater.
poopeybutt
Battle.net Name: cowsmoke
Battle.net Char Code: 1234
Battle.net Server: KR

Post by poopeybutt » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:37 am

Tenkz wrote:
poopeybutt wrote:Tips and tricks for becoming an *average* zh player. While these moves are nice, they are nowhere near the level required to become a top ZHL skater. Good tips though.
gigidapopper: Gratz on playoffs win frnd
Lolololol jk!
Last Message 12:06 AM

And this is how you become a true top ZHL skater.
+1
I might be on in a week or so...
mlgbx
Battle.net Name: ǷǷǷ
Battle.net Char Code: 1

Post by mlgbx » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:45 am

Thanks for writing this up. I'll be practicing all of these with hopes of improving a bit this offseason.
wawmoose
Battle.net Name: WaWMoose
Battle.net Char Code: 1878

Post by wawmoose » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:22 pm

quality post. im takin notes; although my goal is only to be zhpl hero :D
RIP Flyers
LinGuini
Battle.net Name: lingking
Battle.net Char Code: 166