[GUIDE] Help! I've been a Pub for months and I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: NA

[GUIDE] Help! I've been a Pub for months and I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Post by Tenkz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Though most of them won't admit it, this guide applies to dozens of pubs on either server NA or EU. The biggest problem with pubs from what I can see is that they don't develop like other players for several reasons.
1. They don't realize they aren't nearly as good as they can be.
2. They don't recognize their mistakes.
3. They don't understand the game.

This guide should cover these main 3 reasons, albeit there are possibly infinite reasons for a pub being stuck where they are.
I encourage everyone that hasn't been drafted in ZHL recently to read this guide since there's a good chance you're a pub.

1. They don't realize they aren't nearly as good as they can be.

If you've ever played a pub, you might know that most games are quite possibly the shittiest thing you've ever experienced. It almost feels like nobody actually wants to win. Everyone is playing the same offensive hypercarry role, some might even intentionally let in goals while in net so they can get back on the ice faster. Those people who continually do that will NEVER improve beyond a certain point.

Despite how awful the game might be, a lot of people don't recognize that at first. Newer players (or even people who've spent months only in pubs) will think it's just the normal way to play. As long as they're scoring goals they're happy. This is made worse by the points system which encourages goals far more than assists, passes, saves, or steals. Nobody in this environment is going to realize they aren't doing well, they're scoring goals after all!

So when this pub player gets into a higher level game and are given their chance to shine, they show the world that they are quite literally the worst player in the lobby almost every game. And that's fine.. unless they're doing the same exact thing every game. When I started playing I was pretty bad, not quite 10th round bad, but still pretty bad. I tried my best as goalie and skater, and volunteered to play whatever role needed. When I got into my first few inhouses, I offered to defend. I got to watch better players play offense, and I got to practice my clicking and coverage. Ironic as it seems given the crease spam meta, defense is far more controlled than offense and lets you see how the game is played, while playing offense is more chaotic and is just habitual spamclicking. If you're playing offense every game and losing, or performing poorly, it's time to take a look at your play. Change your role for a few games, but absolutely DO NOT get complacent with your play in lower tier games.

2. They don't recognize their mistakes.

This mistake is often in conjunction with mistake #3, but it's more important to address since you can get pretty far despite not having a clue how to properly play the damn game. It's impossible to say whether a situation is your mistake or not, and I would definitely not advocating asking the rest of your team (in a pub especially) because they will always blame you. Ask someone on the other team (who you know doesn't hate you) since their opinion will be less biased. Here are a few universal mistakes that should help to ease this:
  1. Turnover on a 2v1
  2. Turnover on your half of the ice
  3. Completely unnecessary turnover
  4. Horribly missed pass (uncatchable)
  5. Out of position as 3rd man
  6. Not passing to a more open player
  7. Having less than 15% of your team's passes (this is a necessary skill to learn, offense or not)
  8. Missing an easy catch
  9. Not rotating back on defense
Notice how nothing mentions missing shots? Shit happens. No matter how much you try to rectify it, you're still going to occasionally miss shots, so it's not worth mentioning here. Point is, if you're going to improve, you need to stay humble.

3. They don't understand the game.

This is most likely the hardest part of a player to fix. After even 200 games you might find yourself in unbreakable habits which hinder your play and development. These will be hard to fix, and I know several top players who still make horrible mistakes due to this. Understanding the game is undoubtedly difficult, and there's many aspects that you need to learn. This becomes even more difficult when you realize everyone has different interpretations of how to play the game.
Lingking walks to the crease and releases left click.
Nova holds the puck for 2/3 of the game.
Ruckle passes to the other team.

I'm not saying any one of these interpretations is better or worse than the others, but it's important to look at what's consistently important in each player's interpretation.

The most important facets of the game that I've seen in most players' interpretations of how to optimally play the game. In just about every player's beliefs, you'll find that possession is one of the most important aspects. The team with dominant possession will usually win unless they are unable to spark offense or their goalie makes horrid mistakes. From here the consistency wanes, as some players will favor offense, defense, passing, goaltending, etc... In truth it's important to be strong at all roles, as it'll improve your play dramatically. Versatility is extremely important if you're to look at Vapour, Proster, RusH, or most other top players. Those 3 in particular can do just about everything, hence why they've all been top 5 picks consistently in the past. Just do not undervalue possession. Don't take horrible shots for no reason, pointlessly giving the other team possession. Don't make unnecessary turnovers. Possession doesn't mean your individual possession - don't hold the puck for 4 minutes, but instead do what you can to ensure that your team will have possession when you don't.

Hopefully this helps to increase the development of players, especially those who have seem to be skill capped for the past year or so.

TL;DR

If you're playing bad in your current role, switch your role for a few games, try to get a better understanding of how to play. This mainly applies to offensive players instead of playing support, defense, or even goalie.
Make sure to understand and recognize mistakes you make, if you didn't read this I would go back to section 2 and see that section (which is by far the shortest) just for a quick rundown of this.
Do not undervalue possession or versatility. Make sure you understand there's more to the game than just taking 100 shots and scoring a few.
TwoDeuce
Battle.net Name: TwoDeuce
Battle.net Char Code: 616

Re: [GUIDE] Help! I've been a Pub for months and I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Post by TwoDeuce » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Good Job!
I know a few players that can use this.......
C____
P______
L________

Fill in the blanks!
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz

Re: [GUIDE] Help! I've been a Pub for months and I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Post by Tenkz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:33 pm

TwoDeuce wrote:Good Job!
Cafca
Percial
Lightning
dayum
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by DerrocK » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:25 pm

TwoDeuce wrote:Good Job!
Coftea
Poodle
Logik

Fill in the blanks!
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
LittleDicky
Battle.net Name: LittleDicky

Post by LittleDicky » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:32 pm

I was thinking today about suggesting this pub idea of mine in forums.

I would like to try a Pub Week. Basicly, everyone plays only pubs for a week. Just by pressing Play or Play Again, no inviting.
+ Fast lobbies, one after another with constantly different player pool.
+ Some newbies would see for first time how the real skill ceiling looks like.
+ Lots of scouting opportunities for s10/euDL6.
+ If everyone participates, balance should not be a problem as number of regular and veteran players is higher than newbies.
+ No discrimination, try to open yourself for all players. Maybe the guys who tend to get kicked from IH, will have a chance to redeem.
+ ZH gets boosted to top games played. Maybe spotlights? More new players? Let's see what happens.

How to do it? If you read forums, just don't create IH for a week. Don't accept invites and explain the inviters it's a pub week.
OzyWho
Battle.net Name: Ozy Who

Post by OzyWho » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 am

LittleDicky wrote:I was thinking today about suggesting this pub idea of mine in forums.

I would like to try a Pub Week. Basicly, everyone plays only pubs for a week. Just by pressing Play or Play Again, no inviting.
+ Fast lobbies, one after another with constantly different player pool.
+ Some newbies would see for first time how the real skill ceiling looks like.
+ Lots of scouting opportunities for s10/euDL6.
+ If everyone participates, balance should not be a problem as number of regular and veteran players is higher than newbies.
+ No discrimination, try to open yourself for all players. Maybe the guys who tend to get kicked from IH, will have a chance to redeem.
+ ZH gets boosted to top games played. Maybe spotlights? More new players? Let's see what happens.

How to do it? If you read forums, just don't create IH for a week. Don't accept invites and explain the inviters it's a pub week.
Wouldn't do much on EU, too few active players. And those that do play - most of them only on weekends and/or late evenings.
And I don't think to make something like that on NA is possible, as they fight each other rather than working together. :lol:

Btw Tenkz. What about a player like me? I have found a playstyle that I enjoy playing, and I don't change it. (90% defense when on field basically).
I don't improve because I do the same thing over and over and over again.
But is it a bad thing? I don't improve, but I enjoy playing like that.
We experience something, evaluate it, and then we feel an emotional response according to that evaluation.
Reason is emotion's slave and exists to rationalize emotional experience.
Rationalize emotional response in the present experience.
BacKFisCh
Battle.net Name: BacKFisCh
Battle.net Char Code: 396

Post by BacKFisCh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:40 am

Join cws and improve, Ozy!

@Dicky: The issue I see with that that completely new players will not get 1 sek of posession as most priv players are to serious to waste an opportunity. Especially when there are good players on the other team aswell.
For people who know already the basic mechanics this might be a good thing as they see the posibilities of what top level players are capable off.
#votedraftleague2015
Mets
Commissioner
Battle.net Name: Mets
Battle.net Char Code: 1582

Post by Mets » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Too many newer players are concerned with mechanical skill/doing everything themselves. Because you can kind of 1v4 players in a pub game if you are skilled enough, I think this sticks with a lot of players. The most effective way to play the game is to play intelligently. If you don't turn the puck over as third man or support, you have a very good chance of winning vs any team.

I will use american football as an analogy. Alex Smith was the best college quarterback I had ever seen (until Cam Newton eclipsed him), he could completely and single-handedly dominate games. After he graduated, he was drafted first overall in the NFL draft (in a draft that included Aaron Rodgers.) He tried playing the same way in the NFL and failed miserably.
For the first five seasons of his NFL career he was the worst quarterback in the NFL (he had a combined record of 19-31 with more interceptions than touchdowns.) In 2011, he changed the way he played, with a greater emphasis on "controlling the clock" and not turning the ball over. Since then, he has a record of 60-25-1, with 68 more touchdowns than interceptions. Did Alex Smith become more skilled? No, if anything he has less physical talent than he did before. He just plays more intelligently.
handsumSnail
Battle.net Name: handsumSnail
Battle.net Char Code: 312

Post by handsumSnail » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Mets wrote:Too many newer players are concerned with mechanical skill/doing everything themselves. Because you can kind of 1v4 players in a pub game if you are skilled enough, I think this sticks with a lot of players. The most effective way to play the game is to play intelligently. If you don't turn the puck over as third man or support, you have a very good chance of winning vs any team.

I will use american football as an analogy.(cut)
and you were doing so well up until that point..........
chadgg
Battle.net Name: chadgg

Post by chadgg » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:38 am