Meta Discussion

MoS
Battle.net Name: MoS
Battle.net Char Code: 671
Battle.net Server: EU

Re: Meta Discussion

Post by MoS » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:05 pm

Vapour and Junky posts are probably two of the most valuable comments on this website.
Knowing when to use the puck for yourself and when to pass it is key to correct play building, but it's not black and white. Sometimes you need to go for it, sometimes to wait, sometimes to pass. I've seen exceptional strikers fail a whole game, because they were just fed midfield and then tried to do it by themselves. Some moments you WILL end up with a decisive puck, and you WILL need to make the right choice. There is no running away from that ^_^
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918
Battle.net Server: NA

Post by Watermelon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:59 pm

The entirety of strategy in any team competition which involves "possession" of an object - a puck, ball, etc., whether it's a physical sport or a video game, rests on three concepts:

1. Identify opportunities, or lack thereof, given to you, personally, by the opposing team.
2. Take advantage of opportunities granted to you, until they have expired.
3. When you have no opportunity granted to you, personally, by the opposing team, or when your granted opportunity has expired and ceases to exist - pass.

The best support players are those who score goals when left open. Stat padding passes is actually really easy if you never look for shots - even in my unpracticed rust i can average 20 passes a game if i decide to never take a shot - but that isn't the most efficient way to play.

The best players in general are those who effectively do what's most efficient for the team at the highest frequency. There is an aspect of recognizing the limitations of each player on the team. However, usually when a team loses (these days) it's because their top player is getting double teamed and the support players aren't recognizing their own opportunities to push the assault- instead opting to pass into the double team and making the top player look selfish on the stat sheet and forcing inefficient plays on offense. Even lingking can't win against a cohesive unit if his teammates offer no complimentary threat on offense. No one can.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
BacKFisCh
Battle.net Name: BacKFisCh
Battle.net Char Code: 396

Post by BacKFisCh » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:20 am

I'm by far not the best reference in terms of theoretical knowledge and skill (especially not since I'm as good as retired).

But I have to agree and confirm what has been said previously. I never count myself the one of the best and most times when on offense I'll try to pass.
This can be good because sometimes passes will work in a spectacular angle leaving the goalie without chance, but most times I'll try to pass and fail and give it to the defence.
The biggest issue there is that I miss opportunities because I never search for the goal. There might be a gap but I'll most likely not see it and not take a shot at it.

That makes me a team player (in terms of passes) but at the same time I'm not doing the best for the team
#votedraftleague2015
LoOgiK
Battle.net Name: BlackPhilou
Battle.net Char Code: 2169

Post by LoOgiK » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:10 pm

passe lulgik
EUDL4 winner #10-0
1st best forum spammer
ZHCL 8 9 Winner
EUDL5 Manager