Curious If Im Crazy, Would like some veteran player opinions

BeeGeePi
Battle.net Name: BeeGeePee
Battle.net Char Code: 1182
Battle.net Server: NA

Curious If Im Crazy, Would like some veteran player opinions

Post by BeeGeePi » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:42 pm

So, I am newer to Zealot hockey, and I love it.

However, there are two things I feel like could slightly improve the game experience.

1. Making the physics a little tighter. By that, I mean, making turning/stopping/Starting just slightly quicker. I know there is already the buttons to turn quick and the boost, but it still feels a bit "floaty".

2. Making the charge up on passes and shots be a lot quicker. In real hockey it doesn't take a ton of time to make a faster pass/shot. Maybe the game would be to hard to play goalie with this change, but passing feels a bit frustrating.

3. Adding offsides and/or icing. This is probably the most controversial, and might make the game too complicated. I would only want this change if the above to were implemented to make a quicker tighter gameplay making it easier to stay onside.

Anyways, feel free to call me an idiot/newb etc. I'm curious if the community has discussed anything like this in the past and what the general consensus is. Also, is anyone still actively working on the game mode? Thanks!
ZachSmack
Battle.net Name: ZachSmack
Battle.net Char Code: 340

Re: Curious If Im Crazy, Would like some veteran player opinions

Post by ZachSmack » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:18 pm

First off welcome to the forums and the community! I've been playing this game about 3 years now, and I do have some tips to help you out with the movement, and especially passing.

1. Truth be told I do think the movement isn't very new player friendly but it does allow for some interesting maneuvers and to change it would lower the skill ceiling quite a bit.
Movement is floaty but it allows for more nuance, for instance if you wish to move faster you're going to want to hit x as little as possible, only using it for sharp turns, dekes, etc. A good example of this is clicking on a point that you want your zealot to stop at. Once they reach this point you may notice that they automatically spin. Veteran players can use that added spin to angle a shot around a defender and setup a clear line to the net. (Every click you make while charging lowers the charge drastically, so the less clicks you can do while maintaining control is huge.)

2. Cursor distance is a factor:
Most players don't know about this until someone points it out. What this means is that the the further out you put your cursor the faster the shot power. So for example let's say you want to make a really fast cross the rink pass. Simply charge up for about a second, and have your cursor way past your intended target. This is something that takes a lot of practice to get used to, but once you master cursor distance it will help you make plays quickly, and effectively.

3. As far as penalties that's something we have discussed in the past, but most players seem to prefer the game without penalties and with a much more arcadey pacing. It's something that I think could definitely be brought back up again though.

In conclusion I hope this helps you somewhat with managing the quirks of Zealot Hockey. There's a few more minor details that you'll pickup just with playtime and I'm sure within a few games of actively practicing these tips, you'll notice improvement in no time as it becomes second nature. :)
forumusername
Battle.net Name: kwakster
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by forumusername » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:40 pm

get gud
[+] ruckLUL

LF mediation
BoooM
Battle.net Name: BoooM
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by BoooM » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Welcome to zealot hockey, the best sc2 arcade game! :P

1. Getting used to the movement needs a bit of practice. After you get used to it, you probably won't perceive it as floaty. Using X properly is key for this.
- Pressing X when turning already allows you to do sharp turns
- Pressing X+S allows you to stop basically on the spot
- Holding X on faceoffs allows you to start a bit faster than without it
Additionally, as ZachSmack said, in some situations not using X and instead taking advantage of the "floating" mechanic allows for some trickier moves to get past opponents, which adds more depth to the game.

2. Maybe, the shot charging can be a bit quicker, but there are some things you can use to increase the strenght of your shots/passes:
- cursor distance as ZachSmack said
- the shot power increases with the speed ot the zealot: e.g. a shot with the same charge will be the slowest when your zealot is standing still, a bit faster when your zealot is running at full speed, and even faster when you shoot during a boost
- as pointed out above, clicking while charging a shot makes you lose charge. Additionally, your shot will charge power significantly slower after you have clicked during the charging. For quick passes, you should aim to not press the right mouse button (for changing directions) after you have started charging the shot. The advantage is twofold: your power bar fills up quicker and you do not lose any charge.

3. We do not have any issues with icing as far as I know. And as far as offsides are concerned, I feel like it will chop up the gameplay too much, but you are free to have your own opinion :)
LittleDicky
Battle.net Name: LittleDicky
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by LittleDicky » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Zealots and goalies already turn instantaneously, so you're basicly asking for a faster acceleration, which imo would be fun to try but in my opinion game is by no means floaty. I have to disagree on the shot charge speed though, as it's timing is a core part of gameplay. Both goalies and defense assume your current shot power and depending on your movement/position they have to adapt to possibility of you trying for a snipe. Goalies would have absolutely 0 chance if you could shoot puck like in real life, and -5 chance if you added faster acceleration on top of that.
Blitz
Battle.net Name: Blitzerg
Battle.net Char Code: 713

Post by Blitz » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Join the ZH union.

The only two links you ever need to click:
https://puu.sh/zFTwQ/57cfb6dd4f.png
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2556
Resteral
Battle.net Name: hgtm
Battle.net Char Code: 1265

Post by Resteral » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:09 pm

If you tighten up, there would have to be shorter cool down on using the x, and when you do that you could walk faster by spamming x while moving, instead of hitting x then moving then hitting x again. This also happens it the acceleration is picked up after an x.
NA Season 7 Probe All Star
NA Season 8 Probe All Star
NA Season 13 Probe All Star