Winter Classic Recap

Wildfire
Legend
Battle.net Name: WildFire
Battle.net Char Code: 427
Battle.net Server: NA

Winter Classic Recap

Post by Wildfire » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Ok lets get a recap on how the winter classic went! here were your teams not including subs!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

and our brackets for the winter classic! http://challonge.com/ZHWinterclassic

Congrats to our winners Team Maha!

Maha's Teams
Maha - Captain
Ruckle
Xapos
Kaioken

Please Team Maha post your ID when you get it. to get your prize type -myhandle to get it.
Xapos
Battle.net Name: Xapos
Battle.net Char Code: 1397

Re: Winter Classic Recap / LL

Post by Xapos » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:42 pm

1-s2-1-5352807 is My ID
Ruckle
Battle.net Name: Ruckle
Battle.net Char Code: 627

Post by Ruckle » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:10 pm

1-S2-1-1529911
Kaioken
Battle.net Name: Kaioken
Battle.net Char Code: 266

Post by Kaioken » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:13 pm

1-S2-1-1272111
reputed
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 696

Post by reputed » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:50 pm

You may go on the EU version of the game to type -myhandle as well if you want your skin to be shown on EU as well.
Cafca
Battle.net Name: Rhonas
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Re: Winter Classic Sign-Up's

Post by Cafca » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:29 am

GGs to all. What a great tournament.

Advice: Best-of-3 series > best-of-1 series.

I have an even more elaborate tournament idea, but I am too lazy to post that too.
maha
Battle.net Name: maharishi
Battle.net Char Code: 576

Re: Winter Classic Recap

Post by maha » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:12 am

1-S2-1-388429 - NA
2-S2-1-3434295 - EU
"This is the most absurd piece of garbage that can't even be applied to the actual league. Great job embarrassing yourselves."
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: CN

Post by TeeKay » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks all for hosting the tourney, it was a lot of fun and look forward to the next!

However, I think there a couple things that can/should be improved. First, the ratio of "waiting to playing" was not ideal. The draft took about 2 hours. This process could be a bit faster, but this isn't my major problem with the format. My major problem with the format of single elimination meant that half of the players (who got eliminated first round) waited 2 hours and then played 20 minutes, and then were done. Without most teams never having played together with their teams, this seemed way too quick IMO. Atleast giving room for error and team cohesion, a group play (like the Olympics), best of 3 series, or double elimination are all better options.

Next, I understand there will be people not picked in a draft. However, it seemed like this wasn't announced very clearly. I think that the players could have been Atleast priority subs for if a player had to leave or disconnected. Also, if 1-3 teams could have been added also from the undrafted players, why not make 17-19 teams and have a first round byes for most teams except 3-4. This is much better than having 10-12 players wait around for 2 hrs to not be able to play at all. I just don't think it's a very good way to attract newer players.

Again, I hope this is not to critical of the hosts/tournament because it was the first tourney. I thought it was fun and thanks again!
Wildfire
Legend
Battle.net Name: WildFire
Battle.net Char Code: 427

Post by Wildfire » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:15 pm

this was my first draft tournament but I have hosted many tournaments in the past (around 3 or 4 and 1 league). This one felt really sloppy to me because of the day of draft. I wasn't a fan of it and despite what many people told me, it did take much longer to draft players then I had originally planned (it took about 30 minutes longer).

It was explained in the rules that check in started at 2:45 and that we would start the draft at 3:10 but because of a lack of captains (which I warned of so many times in this thread) the draft did not start until 3:30 after scrambling to find replacement captains. Game started around 4:10-4:20 which was around 30 minutes longer to draft then as I had scheduled. so I'm sorry if people showed up at 2:45 and had to wait an hour and a half to start a game, but it was written in the schedule that we would have almost an hour of pre tournament setup and check-in.

Also check-in omg that was so hard to manage, I would of loved to have opened the spreadsheet to public to edit so people could of checked themselves in, but I did not because I was scared people would check their friends in who did not show up, hoping they should show before the match started.

As for the single elim and not double. we had thought about double, but if you look at how much time the tournament took, and when it ended (around 7pm eastern time). it would of added about an hour to the schedule and we would of been pushing a pretty long tournament which was why we discussed not to do a double elim.

As for the teams and leftover players, I'm very sorry there were leftover people and I understand if you are upset, but due to the lack of captains who showed up, we could only manage to convince 16 people to captain. This is a lesson to you people who didn't get picked. if we need captains step up.

And finally the lag issue, Multiple teams experinced lag during their games (a ton of EU players) and a few from NA. remember that the connection to NA has a much higher ping and you get a half second delay, this will cause sometimes people from EU to lag in game, and there is simply nothing we can do about this. Some other teams just had laggy players, and these players need to check their connections. check to see if steam is running, or if windows is updating. We had a lag issue in my game and we noticed it right away so we paused and had people leave one at a time to find the lagger and did a remake with a sub. This was unfortunate for the player who was lagging but again, check your connections and fix it people.

Overall, after the first 2 hours and first round was complete the tournament turned out fine. we had a very successful tournament with a great finals and semi-finals. the teams were balanced enough to give no team a major advantage, but I do wanna say people need to start coming to the group and tring to form in-house games where you can gauge people's skill, not just the best pub stomper. Maha had amazing picks fall into his hands and again congrats to his team.
OptimusReim
Battle.net Name: Reimer
Battle.net Char Code: 367

Post by OptimusReim » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:55 pm

I think everyone can agree the draft could've been handled better. it also sucks some people had bad lag. it's unfortunate but aside from finding the lagger you cant really do anything.

At the end of the day I think Wildfire and the guy's did a great job. I got to play in some really fun games (especially the one vs Navy) and made a lot of new friends. It would be great if we could try to make tourneys a more common event because it's great for the community.

I also thought Wildfire and Kurt putting up the stream/video is great and it's nice to hear what some great players are thinking. My only suggestions would be to make the draft faster, and also make the tourney have a bo3 in semi's or at least finals. I'm looking forward to the next one and redemption vs Bruce :)
Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm