ZHL Owners vote: Change to draft

ooter
Battle.net Name: ooter
Battle.net Char Code: 272
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: ZHL Owners vote: Change to draft

Post by ooter » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:17 pm

hwcubs2012 wrote:Also, I agree bidding is a bad idea. Snake drafts are easier and create more balance throughout the league
I'll agree that snake drafts are easier, but they certainly are not the best for creating balance. For example, unless there's a Michael Jordan level ZHL player (there isn't, the top players aren't separated that much), the team that picks first in the 1st round (and consequently last in the 2nd round) is at a severe disadvantage. A non-snaking draft would actually create better balance than a snake draft, but obviously the team picking last is at a big disadvantage (though not as bad as the team picking 1st in a snake draft).

An auction draft creates the best balance IF the owners do a good job. This requires owners to be smart and dedicated, yes, but don't you want owners like that regardless of the draft style?
RusH
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by RusH » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Lets get this vote on the road! CMON. Also wouldn't it be better to get the new owners selected before you start making them vote?!
Kyle
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kyle
Battle.net Char Code: 1512

Post by Kyle » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:13 pm

RusH wrote:Lets get this vote on the road! CMON. Also wouldn't it be better to get the new owners selected before you start making them vote?!
That's going to happen, Rush. Owners will be finalized this weekend, at which point I will organize a TS meeting with all of them to discuss the stuff listed in this thread.
Teroh
Legend
Battle.net Name: Teroh
Battle.net Char Code: 773

Post by Teroh » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:14 pm

ooter wrote:
hwcubs2012 wrote:Also, I agree bidding is a bad idea. Snake drafts are easier and create more balance throughout the league
I'll agree that snake drafts are easier, but they certainly are not the best for creating balance. For example, unless there's a Michael Jordan level ZHL player (there isn't, the top players aren't separated that much), the team that picks first in the 1st round (and consequently last in the 2nd round) is at a severe disadvantage. A non-snaking draft would actually create better balance than a snake draft, but obviously the team picking last is at a big disadvantage (though not as bad as the team picking 1st in a snake draft).

An auction draft creates the best balance IF the owners do a good job. This requires owners to be smart and dedicated, yes, but don't you want owners like that regardless of the draft style?
I fail to see how you're saying the team that gets the last pick in the first round and last pick in the second round is better off than the team that gets the first pick in the first round and last pick in the second round (oh, and the first pick in the third round compared to last again in the third round. It's exactly the opposite, which is why the snake draft is used so commonly.

I'm still taking my stance that the snake draft is better than the bidding system (that's a NO vote on the bid system). We make one change to the draft: Instead of owners coming together to determine set prices of all owners, just have the owners vote on what round each individual owner has to self pick. Simple to do, then the rest of the draft goes smoothly. Draft ALL players that sign up as well, so that there are NO free agents left, since the salary and free agent system was silly anyway. Trades work as normal, but since there is no currency, only skill is trade-able. Start up the next season sooner after S2 ends, so new players that join during S2 don't have to wait too long to get into the next season.
Last edited by Teroh on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: CN

Post by TeeKay » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:29 pm

Teroh wrote:
ooter wrote:

I fail to see how you're saying the team that gets the last pick in the first round and last pick in the second round is better off than the team that gets the first pick in the first round and last pick in the second round (oh, and the first pick in the third round compared to last again in the third round[/b]. It's exactly the opposite, which is why the snake draft is used so commonly.

I'm still taking my stance that the snake draft is better than the bidding system (that's a NO vote on the bid system). We make one change to the draft: Instead of owners coming together to determine set prices of all owners, just have the owners vote on what round each individual owner has to self pick. Simple to do, then the rest of the draft goes smoothly.

What is your vote to keep free agency balanced?

Here's the problem with the current system:
Next season if it's 100% free for free agents to pick which team they are going to, I'm going to have myself, water Peter rep angle and critt not sign up for draft. Then boom week 1 we all sign with team Reimer City Reimers for 40 each and join Reimer vapour and stealth. That can legitimately happen with no recourse in this system.
Teroh
Legend
Battle.net Name: Teroh
Battle.net Char Code: 773

Post by Teroh » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:33 pm

TeeKay wrote:What is your vote to keep free agency balanced?

Here's the problem with the current system:
Next season if it's 100% free for free agents to pick which team they are going to, I'm going to have myself, water Peter rep angle and critt not sign up for draft. Then boom week 1 we all sign with team Reimer City Reimers for 40 each and join Reimer vapour and stealth. That can legitimately happen with no recourse in this system.
Just edited my previous post. All people that sign up for S2 are drafted and put onto teams. If you want to play, you have to be in the draft. No free agency, only trades. Eliminates that whole stacking issue as well. Also helps to add lesser talented players to teams, so that they may have more chances to play and feel included in the league.
Kyle
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kyle
Battle.net Char Code: 1512

Post by Kyle » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:40 pm

Both the auction model and Teroh's simple draft concept are laid out in bullet points in the thread detailing the list of topics that'll be discussed at the pre-season owners meeting. If you see a need to add any items to that list, related to this topic or otherwise, let me know.