Assigned Salary Values

Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Assigned Salary Values

Post by Watermelon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:17 am

Kyle wrote:What if the automatic values assigned could be changed by petition? A player could petition that his value be reviewed if he's not happy with it, or an owner could petition about somebody else's player, and only then do you have owners deliberate about adjusting it. That would significantly cut down on the time requirement for owners evaluating people, and allow for comparable value to be set for the less tangible contributions of a player, while still giving the owners plenty to strategize with. Maybe put a limit on how many players an owner can petition about, though, so things don't get out of hand.
The petition thing is actually not a bad idea. That way if a player gets assigned a salary that's too high, he won't just be screwed out of playing because no one wants to pay that much for him. I guess the main issue is that players who are known for their defense will have a salary which is too low, and I'm not sure who would petition to raise it (low salary is an advantage for the player and an advantage for the owner in this case)
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: CN

Post by TeeKay » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:29 am

Watermelon wrote:
Kyle wrote:What if the automatic values assigned could be changed by petition? A player could petition that his value be reviewed if he's not happy with it, or an owner could petition about somebody else's player, and only then do you have owners deliberate about adjusting it. That would significantly cut down on the time requirement for owners evaluating people, and allow for comparable value to be set for the less tangible contributions of a player, while still giving the owners plenty to strategize with. Maybe put a limit on how many players an owner can petition about, though, so things don't get out of hand.
The petition thing is actually not a bad idea. That way if a player gets assigned a salary that's too high, he won't just be screwed out of playing because no one wants to pay that much for him. I guess the main issue is that players who are known for their defense will have a salary which is too low, and I'm not sure who would petition to raise it (low salary is an advantage for the player and an advantage for the owner in this case)
The seasons are going to be a couple months a part though. People will fall off and new people will come in. I am a supporter of the draft.
Kyle
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kyle
Battle.net Char Code: 1512

Post by Kyle » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:27 am

Watermelon wrote:
I guess the main issue is that players who are known for their defense will have a salary which is too low, and I'm not sure who would petition to raise it (low salary is an advantage for the player and an advantage for the owner in this case)
But if the other owners can petition, they can say, for example, "rasp is worth more than the numbers indicate because of his defensive contributions" or "Guerrilla is worth more than the numbers indicate because he's a goalie" (maybe we use a different formula for goalies that involves save percentages and goals against averages) and vote amongst all the owners to raise the salary to keep whoever the owner that has him from being able to stack his roster.

And if you think about it, while the points mostly only measure offensive contribution, if all the defensive contributions are still measured equally, even if inadequately, everybody's uneven together. If that makes any sense. Defense is crucial, but you don't win games without scoring goals. So it's feasible that undervalued defense, when it comes to salary, wouldn't be as big of an issue as it seems like it could be.
TeeKay wrote:
The seasons are going to be a couple months a part though. People will fall off and new people will come in. I am a supporter of the draft.
This I did not know. We're going to wait months, plural, between the end of the playoffs and the start of the new season? At that point, you could very well be right; there may not be enough of a core group on any team still hanging around to bother with something like this.
Sean
Battle.net Name: Sean

Post by Sean » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:35 am

I didn't really read every post but we could do something like the nba. You can keep 8 (can be changed) players but then 4 are released to the free agency market for the expansion teams to choose from
...I'm just sayin so don't be hatin.
Droplets
Battle.net Name: Droplets
Battle.net Char Code: 484

Post by Droplets » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:27 am

Sean wrote:I didn't really read every post but we could do something like the nba. You can keep 8 (can be changed) players but then 4 are released to the free agency market for the expansion teams to choose from
that was the original plan, but the re-draft idea came from the fact that OP teams can keep their favourite few, most teams don't even get constant 8 starters, granted they treat all 8 at similar level to begin with.

also, we do have a lot of players signing up but the skill level is just not there as they are inexperienced and majority haven't even spec an in-house game before. A decent team can play their worst players, and beat the expansion teams if all the players they can draft or pick-up are the worst 4 of each team and the new players.
Kyle
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kyle
Battle.net Char Code: 1512

Post by Kyle » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:37 am

Droplets wrote:
Sean wrote:I didn't really read every post but we could do something like the nba. You can keep 8 (can be changed) players but then 4 are released to the free agency market for the expansion teams to choose from
that was the original plan, but the re-draft idea came from the fact that OP teams can keep their favourite few, most teams don't even get constant 8 starters, granted they treat all 8 at similar level to begin with.

also, we do have a lot of players signing up but the skill level is just not there as they are inexperienced and majority haven't even spec an in-house game before. A decent team can play their worst players, and beat the expansion teams if all the players they can draft or pick-up are the worst 4 of each team and the new players.
Yeah, I'd like to figure out a way to get it to where the top teams can only keep 3 or 4 top tier players, so that they have to release some of the quality players back into the wild for the expansion teams to pick up. Maybe treat it like a keeper fantasy league, where you can keep 2 guys, but everybody else goes back into the draft.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking things. If we're gonna hold off for a couple months before we get another season going, there's a good chance that any chemistry/rapport between teammates is gonna need to be rebuilt anyway, and a better chance that some of the guys will go do more meaningful things with their lives.
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:48 am

My thoughts were on a keeper league. You may keep a maximum of 3(?) players, but if you keep a player, that counts as a draft pick. Everyone else goes into a draft if they are not held onto. If you keep 3 players, then you will not have a 1st 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. If you only keep 1 player, you will only forfeit your first round draft pick and will have your second and third.

New teams (added teams) might struggle since top tier players will be kept on the team, but they might be able to find some mid-tier players who weren't kept on the same team that could forge some synergy. And tbh, a new team is nearly destined to struggle and the owner shouldn't be expecting a dominant team on day 1

edit: all players kept are assigned a salary of 175/150/125 (numbers can be changed) ranked in order by the captain. These salaries cannot be renegotiated and will avoid the possibility of a top tier player having a salary of 40. Remove the "top salary gets a skin" idea and implement a vote at the end of the season for a league MVP (one per conference or one per league?). Also, maybe add in a Vezina Trophy that is awarded to the goalie that is voted to be the best over the course of the season.
Last edited by l)arkangel on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:53 am

l)arkangel wrote:My thoughts were on a keeper league. You may keep a maximum of 3(?) players, but if you keep a player, that counts as a draft pick. Everyone else goes into a draft if they are not held onto. If you keep 3 players, then you will not have a 1st 2nd or 3rd round draft pick. If you only keep 1 player, you will only forfeit your first round draft pick and will have your second and third.

New teams (added teams) might struggle since top tier players will be kept on the team, but they might be able to find some mid-tier players who weren't kept on the same team that could forge some synergy. And tbh, a new team is nearly destined to struggle and the owner shouldn't be expecting a dominant team on day 1
This sounds like a really solid idea to me, so long as we don't end up with a team that has three first-round level players that are just kept indefinitely.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:30 am

edited my post above with a couple more ideas.

@Watermelon: that was my thought, but it could always be changed to 2 keepers (which I don't think I like very much), or we could just rely on the hope that people will get better and start to rival the top tier players and make owners consider not keeping three players every year or that players will "lose their touch" or just not be as committed to the league after a season or two.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Server: CN

Post by TeeKay » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:44 am

I would like to get some owners (and some likely owners of expansion teams) to weigh in.

My opinion on keeper is 100% against it, especially in times of expansion. Expansion teams should not be expected to be red headed stepchildren (why even start a team then, why not play another game). This isn't a pro sports league so we can't expect the same individuals to stick around for 2-3 seasons (1-2 yrs in real time) to get good. Everyone should be on the same footing. You like certain players? Draft them. Or trade for them. Or play in Inhouses with them. But balance of the league should be paramount and keeping 3 players + owner would be completely awful IMO