Ways to make Salary mean something

ooter
Battle.net Name: ooter
Battle.net Char Code: 272
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Ways to make Salary mean something

Post by ooter » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:54 pm

TeeKay wrote:The reason to have a minimum price for players is to prevent the top few players from getting an inflated salary from a bidding war. You could see Kurt or water going for like 600 of the 1000 salary if you didn't have any restrictions at all. The problem comes if that player has a real life event come up or they miss a Buncha weeks. Then the team is completely screwed and balance goes out the window and they have no resources at all to balance. The no minimum/maximum works in fantasy because no one suffers from that decision except the fantasy owner. Here, if this happens 8-9 other people suffer for it as well as the league balance suffers. Minimums are needed.
Man, you gotta stop saying $1000/5. It's so much more confusing than $200/1. Especially with these ancillary rules you're proposing (mandatory minimum wage), which will require a lot of adding and subtracting.

Anyway. this issue is why every decent auction drafter knows not to overspend on a single player, and why I said we'd need to do some mock auction drafts prior to the real thing. The number one rule of auction drafting is to not do exactly what you're worried about. I'll teach people how to auction draft myself, and I guarantee you no one will make such a beginner mistake. With a little draft education and some common sense, this won't be a problem.

If we did have salary limits though. they need to be maximum salary caps per player, not a minimum salary for everyone else. A minimum salary for everyone effectively creates a hard cap for one player through the formula

total team salary pool - (('number of players per team' - 1) * 'minimum salary per player') = 1 player salary cap

But if you do it with minimum salaries, you create a whole host of other problems. For example, all your other players have to be paid equally (the league min), rather than one super expensive player, a few medium players, and remaining cheap players. If you want to cap a player's salary, you need to just directly do it with a max salary. But again, simply educating the owners and creating smart drafters is the better solution.
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: CN

Post by TeeKay » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:18 pm

100 or 1000 is much easier to conceptualize than 200. How much is 80 of 200? How much is 80 of 1000? That's easy -- it's 8%. It's just cleaner and I will use 1000 in my examples, but ultimately it's the owners/admins call for any and all ideas for next league, not yours or mine.
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:40 pm

TeeKay wrote:100 or 1000 is much easier to conceptualize than 200. How much is 80 of 200? How much is 80 of 1000? That's easy -- it's 8%. It's just cleaner and I will use 1000 in my examples, but ultimately it's the owners/admins call for any and all ideas for next league, not yours or mine.
This is an extremely small detail that shouldn't be dwelled on in this conversation. As you said, this is up to the owners/admins to decide so just throwing ideas out there is the biggest help we can be. Maybe if you edited your first long post TK with all of the additional details you've thought about throughout this thread it would help organize your idea best for owners/admins to look at.

Also if this is implemented, I think ooter writing a guide or holding mock drafts would be an awesome idea.
Last edited by l)arkangel on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
Wildfire
Legend
Battle.net Name: WildFire
Battle.net Char Code: 427

Post by Wildfire » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:41 pm

I'm gonna try to come up with a draft version of the new system coming soon.
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:

Post by TeeKay » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:59 pm

OptimusReim wrote:
TeeKay wrote:Next season if it's 100% free I'm going to have myself, water Peter rep angle and critt not sign up for draft. Then boom week 1 we all sign with team Reimer City Reimers for 40 each and join Reimer vapour and stealth. That can legitimately happen with no recourse in the current system.
Reimers City Reimers sounds like a good team with a lot of depth.

i think the FA system hurts the integrity of the league, there's gotta be some stipulations aside from public shaming
Good team, but better friends
Wildfire
Legend

Post by Wildfire » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:08 pm

New Draft Auction Format:
  • Owners will be placed in random order for the draft of the players who are in the current draft pool.
    The current Owner will have 1 minutes to choose a player to bid on. If a player is not chosen, the owner will be skipped.
    Once the Owner has chosen a player, he must submit a bid on said player.
    All other teams are allowed to then bid on the player.
    The Bidding stops after all players have stopped bidding on the player in question and he awarded to the team who offered the highest bid.
    The next owner in the order will then pick the next player to bid on, and the process will continue through the previous 3 steps. Continue this process till all rounds have been completed and all rosters filled.
    All salaries can not be negotiated.
Free Agent Signing:
  • Owners can choose a player to sign through free agency anytime before the free agent deadline.
    Owners must submit bid on the player in the free agent marketplace.
    The other teams have 24 hours to match or beat the bid of the original owner.
    Winner of the bid will sign the player onto his roster.
Emergency Free Agents:
  • An owner may pick up an emergency free agent only 5 minutes before a game or less. This player can be added to his roster for the league average salary.
    If the Owner who picks up an emergency free agent has a full roster, he must pay average salary + 50% of average salary price for the player, and this player will not be kept on his roster.
The league will have a new max salary limit.

Comments suggestions?
Wildfire
Legend

Post by Wildfire » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:13 pm

only thing not discussed was the owners salary for themselves?
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:

Post by TeeKay » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:24 pm

Wildfire wrote:
Emergency Free Agents:
  • An owner may pick up an emergency free agent only 5 minutes before a game or less. This player can be added to his roster for the league average salary.
I still think the emergency free agent should have to still go into the draft pool or people can still get the best free agents by using this rule 5 minutes before a match to sign a Burn type player for league average salary
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:

Post by TeeKay » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:27 pm

Wildfire wrote:only thing not discussed was the owners salary for themselves?
My suggestions for this is to set a high base salary for the owners (if you want high skilled owners) OR have a league admin assign market values to the owners based on talent level (if you want a wider range of owner skill levels, i.e. you want like Teroh or Hunter to be able to be a player/owner without being the same salary as Maha).
Hunter
Battle.net Name: Hunter
Battle.net Char Code: 2379

Post by Hunter » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:51 pm

Thank god im done being an owner. I would be confused
Hunter