Ways to make Salary mean something

ooter
Battle.net Name: ooter
Battle.net Char Code: 272
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Ways to make Salary mean something

Post by ooter » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:55 am

TeeKay wrote: I still think the emergency free agent should have to still go into the draft pool or people can still get the best free agents by using this rule 5 minutes before a match to sign a Burn type player for league average salary
Agreed.
Wildfire wrote:only thing not discussed was the owners salary for themselves?
What if we use each owner's draft position last season to determine their salary?
ooter
Battle.net Name: ooter
Battle.net Char Code: 272

Post by ooter » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:22 am

TeeKay wrote:100 or 1000 is much easier to conceptualize than 200. How much is 80 of 200? How much is 80 of 1000? That's easy -- it's 8%. It's just cleaner and I will use 1000 in my examples, but ultimately it's the owners/admins call for any and all ideas for next league, not yours or mine.
By conceptualize, you mean convert to %? You just divide by 2. 80 out of 200, divide 80 by 2, 40%. With 80 of 1000, you divide by 10, 80 divided by 10, 8%. It's the same process, except dividing by 2 instead of 10. I don't think dividing by 10 is any easier than dividing by 2? Both are basically no-brainer conversions.

Right now it may seem easier to use $1000/5, but there's a reason most fantasy leagues use $200/1. It's much easier in practice, even if it seems like it isn't right now. With a $1000 pool, you will start to lose sense of the value of your money. "I have so much money, I can afford to overspend". Very natural human thing to do. The lower we keep the value, the less this happens.

All that said, this is a small detail, and I can live with either plan.
Kurt_58
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kurt
Battle.net Char Code: 638

Post by Kurt_58 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:35 pm

tl;dr this whole thread.
/thread
brucecambell
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by brucecambell » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:43 pm

Lol so i did read this whole thing.....all i can say is teamspeak OP.... good ideas from tk and ooter. ..but id like to talk to them further about their ideas in teamspeak. ..its just way faster considering i have to do this from my phone
Wildfire
Legend
Battle.net Name: WildFire
Battle.net Char Code: 427

Post by Wildfire » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:42 pm

brucecambell wrote:Lol so i did read this whole thing.....all i can say is teamspeak OP.... good ideas from tk and ooter. ..but id like to talk to them further about their ideas in teamspeak. ..its just way faster considering i have to do this from my phone
L2Internet bruce, God. Well have fun in Maine or whatever crazy land your in you future father you! (spoiler alert)
Kyle
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kyle
Battle.net Char Code: 1512

Post by Kyle » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:39 am

This auction idea is brilliant, and exactly what the league needs, in my opinion. Whoever came up with that stupid assigned salary idea was an idiot :P

I would agree that emergency signings should probably go into a free agent auction. Perhaps a less cluttered way to handle free agency, though, rather than holding another auction every Sunday or whatever, is a kind of waiver system.

For example, an owner wants to sign a player, they make their intent known to the other owners, and an auction begins specific to that player. The owners then have X amount of days to bid on the free agent in question before he's actually signed to a team. So rather than waiting to sign your free agent until bidding day, you open the bidding as soon as you decide you want them. This could also be rolled into the emergency signings subject; the player could play for the team that opened the bidding on him until bidding is closed, at which point he goes to the highest bidder. Might force owners to be a little more active, but I'd argue that's a positive.

Might I also suggest, in the interest of speeding up the draft process, a secret auction system? Each owner bids the maximum value they think a player is worth to them (or the max they can afford), and the highest bidder is ultimately charged $1 above the second highest bid. That way instead of having to wait for things to go back and forth until they reach the appropriate value, owners only have to bid once per player.

Example: Maha opens bidding on Guerrilla

All owners submit their bids, nobody knows what anyone else is bidding.
Maha had the top bid at $70, but the second bid was $60. Maha signs Guerrilla for $61. (I'm assuming a 200/1 system in this example; smaller numbers make more sense to my brain, even if multiples of 10 are easier to associate with a percentage. Why set a minimum of 5 when you can divide by 5 to set the minimum at 1? Small numbers are easier, in my opinion.)

Different system, but I think it'd achieve essentially the same results slightly quicker. Granted, it adds more personnel, because some impartial third party has to supervise it, but that can't be too tough.
Hunter
Battle.net Name: Hunter
Battle.net Char Code: 2379

Post by Hunter » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:40 am

Kyle wrote:This auction idea is brilliant, and exactly what the league needs, in my opinion. Whoever came up with that stupid assigned salary idea was an idiot :P
Get rekt wild
Hunter
Kyle
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kyle
Battle.net Char Code: 1512

Post by Kyle » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:30 pm

Hunter wrote:
Kyle wrote:This auction idea is brilliant, and exactly what the league needs, in my opinion. Whoever came up with that stupid assigned salary idea was an idiot :P
Get rekt wild
I was talking about my idea :P
Hunter
Battle.net Name: Hunter
Battle.net Char Code: 2379

Post by Hunter » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:45 pm

Get rekt Kyle
Hunter
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: CN

Post by TeeKay » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:42 am

Kyle I thought about your secret auction for a couple days but I've come to the conclusion it wouldn't be good in this system. The season is such a long period of time that I think taking 15 sec longer per player to know that you are getting a player is worth it. If you really want Guerila but one of the other 7-9 owners bid $1 higher than you in a blind auction, that will really suck because you can't rebid on him like in a live auction draft. I also think it doesn't show market value as well as actually just bidding it out.