ZHL Owners vote: Change to draft

Wildfire
Legend
Battle.net Name: WildFire
Battle.net Char Code: 427
Battle.net Server: NA

ZHL Owners vote: Change to draft

Post by Wildfire » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:46 pm

So we all read the thread about changing how the draft will work, so here is the draft rules up for vote.
  • Owners will be placed in random order for the draft of the players who are in the current draft pool.
    The current Owner will have 1 minutes to choose a player to bid on. If a player is not chosen, the owner will be skipped.
    Once the Owner has chosen a player, he must submit a bid on said player.
    All other teams are allowed to then bid on the player.
    The Bidding stops after all players have stopped bidding on the player in question and he awarded to the team who offered the highest bid.
    The next owner in the order will then pick the next player to bid on, and the process will continue through the previous 3 steps. Continue this process till all rounds have been completed and all rosters filled.
    All salaries can not be negotiated.
Free Agent Signing:
  • Owners can choose a player to sign through free agency anytime before the free agent deadline.
    Owners must submit bid on the player in the free agent marketplace.
    The other teams have 24 hours to match or beat the bid of the original owner.
    Winner of the bid will sign the player onto his roster.
Emergency Free Agents:
  • An owner may pick up an emergency free agent only 5 minutes before a game or less. This player can be added to his roster for the league average salary.
    If the Owner who picks up an emergency free agent has a full roster, he must pay average salary + 50% of average salary price for the player, and this player will not be kept on his roster.

List of owners and Vote:

Scores (Fake Kurt)
hwcubs2012
Moon
ooter
Wildfire - Aiur Storms
IrishLad - Tarsonis City Tigers
Reputed - Korhal War Pigs
Teroh - Mar Sara Threat Agents
BruceCambell - Zerus Redlings
Anglefire - New Gettysburg Flyers
xNCrush
Battle.net Name: Crush
Battle.net Char Code: 1661

Re: ZHL Owners vote: Change to draft

Post by xNCrush » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:58 pm

This seems to odd to me. What's the point of having a draft order if all teams get a chance to bid? As best I can figure, it allows the currently selecting owner to attempt to place a bid that is at or slightly above their selected player's expected salary, which would potentially block other owners from making the same bid. The result of this is either draft order won't mean shit, or every player is going to have a slightly higher salary than they should.

It's also a shame to (probably) completely remove all chemistry that was formed during the first season. Would it be better to take an expansion draft type approach, followed by a more traditional draft to fill out all the team rosters?

If I'm way off base here, don't mind me. Just a curious observer.
Wildfire
Legend

Post by Wildfire » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:11 pm

the overall community and owners wanted a redraft after each season to allow more fairness.

as for what draft order does, it allows you to choose who is being bided on.
xNCrush
Battle.net Name: Crush
Battle.net Char Code: 1661

Post by xNCrush » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:41 pm

Wildfire wrote:the overall community and owners wanted a redraft after each season to allow more fairness.
Ah, okay. If that was the consensus, so be it.
Teroh
Legend
Battle.net Name: Teroh
Battle.net Char Code: 773

Post by Teroh » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:00 pm

I don't like the bidding system. Imagine it takes 1 minute for an owner to pick a player, then 2-3 minutes for the bidding and logging of the player. Then we move onto the next player, repeat. I'd guess you'll end up taking about 4 minutes on average per player. Times that by ~90 players, that's 360 minutes. 6 hours for a draft. I think that's nuts. I'd much rather come up with a better draft system where you still select your players, with owners seeded in their proper rounds. I'm not a first round player, and I shouldn't have to pick myself in the first round. I'd be happy to accept what round other owners agree I should be picked in as my own pick (3rd,4th,5th,w/e).
Anglefire
Battle.net Name: RamenNoodles
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by Anglefire » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:01 pm

I dont want a 6 hour draft plz
Wildfire
Legend

Post by Wildfire » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:03 pm

its going to be in teamspeak so I don't see where it would take forever. people just need to pay attention and respond.
Teroh
Legend
Battle.net Name: Teroh
Battle.net Char Code: 773

Post by Teroh » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Wildfire wrote:its going to be in teamspeak so I don't see where it would take forever. people just need to pay attention and respond.
The pay attention and respond thing is something I don't think is possible for 10 people to do for an extended period of time. Even a four hour draft for 90 people means 2.67 minutes per player, which is including the player selection. That leaves a minute and 40 seconds to get to and complete the bidding process. That's still a four hour draft! I honestly think a draft pushing 3 hours is already going to have difficulties getting all 10 owners to make time within the same day, and pay attention throughout the whole process.

Three hours of drafting for 90 players, 1 minute for selection, 1 minute for bidding. ZERO breaks. ZERO wasted time. I still think that's still ridiculous.
Last edited by Teroh on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
RusH
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by RusH » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:16 pm

I say just ditch the bidding and give each round a designated salary. The higher the round you got chosen the higher the salary you're going to get.
HibbertGOAT
Battle.net Name: HibbertGOAT
Battle.net Char Code: 220

Post by HibbertGOAT » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:23 pm

How does the whole owners have to pick themselves r1 work now?

edit:

also who is hwcubs
I'm roy hibbert