ZHL rules that needs revision

BacKFisCh
Battle.net Name: BacKFisCh
Battle.net Char Code: 396
Battle.net Server: EU

Re: ZHL rules that needs revision

Post by BacKFisCh » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:34 am

daggius2 wrote:people should make sure their connection is fine prior to game time by playin a test match or suffer the consequences of not doing so. its pretty easy to figure out if youre going to lag or not and then you can save everyone the time of a bunch of pauses and remakes, which makes the stream look really unprofessional too.
+1
No Lag is allways better than a remake. And everyone who is playing or casting in league games should test if there is a possibility to cause Lag
But I still think that at a certain point, it is necessary to make a make a regame.
#votedraftleague2015
daggius2
Battle.net Name: daggius
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: NA

Post by daggius2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:42 pm

Teroh, I have some ideas to improve the standings table

Next season, i think you should eliminate the special scoring for overtime from the league. If you win a game in overtime or in shootout, it just counts as a regular win instead. This would allow you to greatly simplify the standings table, making it easier to read/ understand. This allows you to remove the OTW, OTL, RW, and ROW columns from the standing table!! so much simpler

Also, I think the L10 column should be removed as well. Since the season is barely longer than 10 games anyways, having a "Last 10" stat is useless for the first 2/3 of the season since it mirrors your overall stat. The "Last X" idea is a good concept to show the recent form of a team, however I believe it needs to be much shorter, such as "Last 5". However the best indicator of recent form is probably the STRK stat, so i think we should just keep this and get rid of the L10 column.
kholin literally thinks it is possible to hold the puck continuously for 2.5 periods
Kyle
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kyle
Battle.net Char Code: 1512

Post by Kyle » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:57 pm

The NHL calculates standings with 2 points for any win, regulation or OT, and 1 point for an OT/Shootout Loss, and that's it in terms of special scoring. That option, as well as the NFL/ZHL Season 1 model (standing determined by wins, no "points" for Overtime/Shootout) were both discussed at the pre-season owners meeting. The decision to use the KHL model, where more points are given for a regulation win than an overtime/shootout win, but teams are still rewarded for getting as far as overtime before losing, was the model that the owners liked best. As I recall, actually, the model was voted in pretty much unanimously.

I like the KHL model we've been using. I like that teams get something for staying in the game longer, even if they end up losing. I'm a die hard hockey fan, and the NHL rewards teams for making it to overtime before they lose, too, so it's in line with the way the sport's done in 'merica. I like the KHL's twist on that idea, though, in that a team doesn't get as much for winning in OT/shootout as they do for winning in regulation. It gives teams a reason to push for a win in regulation, rather than playing it safe in a close game to make sure they at least get a point.

That said, even with the KHL model, I could probably have cleaned up the standings board a bit and made it a little easier to digest. It's a learning experience :P
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:49 pm

When we started season 2 I was a pretty big critic of the KHL system, but honestly I think it's fine.

I still don't understand the standings board though. lol
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Kyle
Legend

Post by Kyle » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 pm

Revised the standings board a bit. Obviously a little late in the season for it to mean much, but does that make it any easier to comprehend, fellas?
daggius2
Battle.net Name: daggius
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by daggius2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:37 pm

good improvements but i think the SOW column still needs removed? it is removed from the Key. and there is no SOL
kholin literally thinks it is possible to hold the puck continuously for 2.5 periods
Kyle
Legend

Post by Kyle » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:26 pm

I think it's necessary, simply because of step 3 of the tie-breaker: "The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout." There is the ROW column that shows you RW+OTW, so the information is already there. But since a shootout win is different from an OT win because of that tie-breaker, I have to put it in to the system as a separate result option, which means the records in the L5 (previously L10) column include it. I could hide it from the board easily enough, but having all five of those results on there in the same order they show up in the L5 column makes that column easier to comprehend, I think.

As for the key, yeah, I forgot to update that part. OTW is now just wins in overtime, shootout not included.