Autoclickers Should be Banned

Kholin
Battle.net Name: Kholin
Battle.net Char Code: 610
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Autoclickers Should be Banned

Post by Kholin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:32 am

I know that other arcade games have managed to ban auto clickers, so it must be possible. However, its not that large a problem compared to other issues like lag or referee mode, so why not just find a good auto clicker, and post it's download link to the forums. Then if everyone has it, no one can complain :/
      • Dont worry, Im a Koalafied goalie
Vapour
Battle.net Name: Valour
Battle.net Char Code: 273

Post by Vapour » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:14 am

Autoclicker wouldn't be such an issue for me, if it doesn't cause lag issues. I definitely notice a difference when autoclickers are turned on, since each click is being registered for every player's computer to receive. Also, there are those who have weak fingers or injured wrists. I don't want to disable it outright, but should definitely have an limit imposed.
Kurt_58
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kurt
Battle.net Char Code: 638

Post by Kurt_58 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:08 am

If autoclickers don't get banned for next league. I'm just going to activate my 5k apm autoclicker (Hell I might even ratchet it up to 10k, I'm not sure how high I can get it) and just play the whole game like that. After about a minute the lag will be so unbearable and everyones fps will drop to about 3. Then everyone will leave and I win. Ez pz.
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:12 pm

I've never tried using an auto-clicker for Zealot Hockey, and don't plan to. That being said...

Steals:
I don't think auto-clickers provide an unfair advantage. The steal ability has a cooldown. As long as you click faster than said cooldown, no amount of spam clicking will make you steal any faster.

Re-steals:
I don't think auto-clickers give a significant advantage for re-steals either. This is self-evident: there are many players, including myself, who have no problems re-stealing without an auto-clicker.

Clicking also shoots/passes:
Issues like this really highlight why having steal and pass/shoot as the same hotkey is a must. If the steal ability were separate from shots/passes, then script kiddies would become a real issue. I've seen players try to use an auto-clicker, and end up giving the puck to the other team. Repeatedly.

Banning auto-clickers can't be enforced:
As stated in earlier posts, auto-clickers can be slowed down so they don't spike your apm as high. This would make it very very difficult to prove that someone is using one.

I spent 5-6 years in a wc3 community for a game called Elimination Tournament. This was a very complex (for wc3) top-down, fast paced shooting game (kinda like Pure CTF, but better), with an impressive physics engine. However, over time, players started finding ways to exploit the game with auto-clickers and other hotkey macros. What started out as "just messing around" turned into half the community using Storm_Surge's "jumphack" program, which allowed you to repeatedly use the jump ability as fast as cooldowns would allow by holding down one button. Flame wars erupted all over the forums, clans disbanded, players rage quit, and a community that at one time had a strong 300 members dwindled down to about 30.

However, when all was said and done, the players who refrained from using the jumphack remained at the top of the rankings, and were able to jump just as fast without the program, while having much better control.

Auto-clickers have an opportunity cost:
An auto-clicker or macro program will give you a moderate boost in performance if you're bad at stealing/re-stealing. In the long run, though, it will cap your potential for improvement, and you will never get as good as you could have if you had actually practiced the skill.

So, why are people using auto-clickers?:
I think some players are using auto-clickers because they feel like they can't compete in click battles with those who live closer to the current game's server. This is the issue we should be focusing on. I believe the increased use of auto-clickers is a response to the frustrations that players face when playing cross-server. The difference in latency does provide a re-stealing advantage for those who live closer to the server, as some re-steals must be made in a window shorter than 50ms. Our primary focus should be on latency optimization.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by DerrocK » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:25 pm

I thought auto clicker was used for right click IE movement and not for left click. Makes more sense.
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:45 pm

DerrocK wrote:I thought auto clicker was used for right click IE movement and not for left click. Makes more sense.
Auto-right-clicking seems pretty idiotic to me, and would give even less of an advantage than using it for left click.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Kurt_58
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kurt
Battle.net Char Code: 638

Post by Kurt_58 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:52 pm

Auto right click is used by some players to help them on their spins. But that's about the only thing it helps them with. Cuz it's hard as hell to steal from someone using AC Spins.

Auto left click doesn't track on APM anyways, and even if ppl use an auto left click I think the cooldown for left click is so long that you really don't have to click that fast to spam the left click. Although it does make it more instant the millisecond the cooldown is over another left click is activated. Not super useful but it can be in certain situations.
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by DerrocK » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:01 pm

Watermelon wrote:
DerrocK wrote:I thought auto clicker was used for right click IE movement and not for left click. Makes more sense.
Auto-right-clicking seems pretty idiotic to me, and would give even less of an advantage than using it for left click.
I'm just saying what people do. I know they do that because I see their clicks when I'm observer and it's pretty obvious when they do that.
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
Ranchinator
Battle.net Name: Ranchinator
Battle.net Char Code: 131

Post by Ranchinator » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:12 pm

DerrocK wrote:
Watermelon wrote:
I'm just saying what people do. I know they do that because I see their clicks when I'm observer and it's pretty obvious when they do that.

From my studies, Derrok is right with this comment. The autoclicking people that i have seen are using right click for movement and then left clicking to steal constantly. I have gone back in replays and seen this as a reoccuring theme. You can notice someone is doing it most of the time because they dont sway right to left when the AC is on. Rather they move straight forward and are able to resteal almost perfectly all the time. That being said, not everybody that moves straight and resteals uses an AC. I know that people like Water or Bruce do the same thing but dont use it
Best Captain S5, Best Sportsmanship S5.
RusH
Battle.net Name:

Post by RusH » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:36 am

Start dropping names for best results!