east /west conference system

daggius2
Battle.net Name: daggius
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: NA

east /west conference system

Post by daggius2 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:14 am

I propose this system for next season

League expands to 10 teams (due to increased player base)

West Conference, 5 teams
East Conference, 5 teams

When players enter the draft, they indicate West or East conference. Two separate drafts are held, one for each conference.

Each team will play the other teams in its home conference 3x during the season, but each team in the away conference only 2x (one away and one home game).

As a result, each team gets 12 home server games and 5 away server games. I.E. only 29% of their games are played in lag. Playoffs are separated by conference so that west teams only meet east teams in the final. in the final you play home/away/home/away/... etc until one team is able to get a 2 game lead (i.e. they have to win on the home and away server in succession to win it).

Reason for this? As water and peter make obvious, the game can't really be played at the same level on an away server and isnt that fun. Most leagues in USA such as MLS, NFL, MLB, etc use similar conference system to take care of travel issues. Here we should do same thing to take care of lag issues. You can also expand to a 21 game season (11 weeks) where there are 16 home conf games and 5 away (only 24% laggy games). or scale in any other way you see fit. And since you still get to play each away team twice, no one needs to complain that they don't get to play against some of the players ;). You still get to meet every team twice at some point and maybe upset them on their home server. Also added drafting strategy element to draft centrally located players who can play on either server no problem.
kholin literally thinks it is possible to hold the puck continuously for 2.5 periods
Kyle
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kyle
Battle.net Char Code: 1512

Re: east /west conference system

Post by Kyle » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:52 am

Speaking as a regular Joe here, as I'm not commissioning next season, nor doing any sort of managerial role.

I don't think league expansion is something to consider at this juncture. I think the league has just enough players to sustain 8 teams at a ZHL level, and the addition of the 8 teams in the probe league allows for (in my opinion) enough involvement of dedicated players throughout the community. Granted, a case could be made that more than 8 teams at the probe level could be sustained with the current player base, but that would require fully restructuring and forming the probe league as a separate entity altogether, which, if I were commissioner, isn't something I'd probably be interested in tackling. I apologize for using a whole lot of words to say "10 teams is too many," but I wanted to explain the opinion.

As for the whole server preference thing, I think segregating the community like that would be detrimental to its growth. There are a handful of players who heavily favor one server over another, but the majority notice little to no difference. I'm basing that opinion purely on my memory of conversations with other players, not on any scientific data or polls or anything like that, but that'd be my understanding of things at the moment.

I'll concede that there can be a noticeable difference between servers for some players in some situations, which is the reason we added the whole home/away concept this season. But rather than discussing ways to further segregate the community on that basis, I'd like to see talks about finding ways to convince Leeroy and Rep to see if they can't optimize the code to help neutralize those issues.

My 2¢.
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:16 am

1. East server doesn't exist anymore
It's actually central (and we can tell - it's much better for west coast players than it used to be). More specifically, I think it's based out of chicago.

2. Skill distribution
Making players pick between conferences could result in a very uneven distribution of overall skill between the two conferences, based on geography alone. The end result of this problem? The two teams in the finals are not the two best teams in the league, as one conference is more competitive than the other.

3. Owner strategy
Players' server preferences are already a part of owner strategy, and I'm sure this will only become more prevalent in seasons to come.

4. Fairness
I think the current Home/Away system is very solid in dealing with server issues.

I understand where you're coming from, daggi. In watermelon heaven, the entire zh community lives in California and we all play on even footing for every game (plus, there wouldn't be any more poverty internet. california internet ftw).
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Kholin
Battle.net Name: Kholin
Battle.net Char Code: 610

Post by Kholin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:42 am

As much as people might complain about servers, it would really not be good to the community as a whole to segragate the ZHL and ZHPL. Also, as Kyle said, we don't really have enough players to play 10 full ZHL teams. As someone who can walk to the atlantic ocean from their house, I certainly understand everyone who doesn't want to play on the opposite coast's server. However, the current system of home/away, and the unlimited roster depth of the ZHL teams does allow for either secondary goalies/skaters, and allows you to play on your home turn at least 50% of the time.

It is also worth proposing that maybe we could switch all ZHL games to East, seeing as it is now central. The new "East" server is much better for west players, and is far enough away from East Coasters that the latency and delay is actually about the same for both east and west. Before everyone screams that this would make East players OP, and that its dumb, keep in mind that the delay for someone in California and the delay for someone in New York are about the same when playing on East. The closer you get, the smoother the play, and as far as I know, most NA ZH players can play fine on east, far better than they could before the advent of the west.
      • Dont worry, Im a Koalafied goalie
Kurt_58
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kurt
Battle.net Char Code: 638

Post by Kurt_58 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:00 am

What's funny is Kholin is right that an east server is the most fair thing since its even for everyone. Sad this is this would never be approved since most players come from West. Especially all the server complainers :roll:

But srsly picking ur server makes home field advantage feel like an advantage, keep it as is. Still upset you guys didn't want to have a home player sing a national anthem, of any country, on the stream. That was the best part of my hosting/server clause :cry:
daggius2

Post by daggius2 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:45 pm

I agree with your concerns here. After some more thinking I don't think it would be good to have 2 separate drafts.

However, I still think it would be great to have east and west conferences. People will enter the draft with a east/west server preference, but they can be drafted to any team.

As far as segregating the teams, it's not really that. You still get to play against the teams in the other conferences. You just do it less than the local teams. Just like the LA galaxy plays against San Jose three times in a season but only against Montreal once. Conference system is used in almost every professional sport in this country.

More lagless games for everyone, would be great!!!
kholin literally thinks it is possible to hold the puck continuously for 2.5 periods
Kyle
Legend

Post by Kyle » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:49 pm

There was an arbitrary conference system in season 1, but it didn't have any correlation to geographic location or server preference or anything (there was no such thing as server preference back then). The pre-season 2 owners meeting ruled out the use of conferences this time, and I think it helped keep the regular season competitive longer, which is a risk you run by lowering the pool of teams you're competing against for playoff spots. I'm not saying it wouldn't be worth thinking about, but I think the single conference worked pretty well this season. And server preference was taken into consideration by most of the owners during the draft, so it was close to your suggestion almost by accident.
daggius2

Post by daggius2 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:32 pm

I went thru the results page and of the 60 games played this season, 36 were won by the home team and only 24 by the away team. Home team won 60% of the time. Food for thought. Conference system means more games will be decided by the players instead of the server (and will be more fun to play in the process).

Also its interesting to look at the player stats page. The top five players are Kurt, Peter, Water, Bulba, and Proster. Three of these players are pretty sworn to playing only on west. Peter doesn't play east period. Water announced his retirement specifically due to the east servers coming back online. And just how bad Proster is on east is a running joke for everyone to enjoy. I can't comment on Kurt or Bulba since I dunno where they come from. But imagine if this season was played mainly on east instead of mainly on west. The standings would be COMPLETELY different.

Anyway, if im being selfish then I'd probably just want to keep things the way they are. like kurt said there are more west players and more west owners so by and large more games are going to be on west ;) Just thought a conference system would be better for everyone, especially the east guys.
Kyle
Legend

Post by Kyle » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:13 pm

I'd argue that 60% home wins is pretty balanced. Any idea what that percentage is in the NHL, by chance? I'd imagine it's pretty close to that.
Teroh
Legend
Battle.net Name: Teroh
Battle.net Char Code: 773

Post by Teroh » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:15 am

Kyle wrote:I'd argue that 60% home wins is pretty balanced. Any idea what that percentage is in the NHL, by chance? I'd imagine it's pretty close to that.
Home Win Percentage
NBA 0.580
NFL 0.600
NHL .537 (.578 point percentage)

Via: http://thesportsquotient.com/mlb/2014/5 ... -advantage

Some teams even are up to 0.793, 0.768, 0.756

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats ... ages/2013/