Central Only

Would you participate in ZHL any further if all games were played on the Central (Chicago) Server?

Yes.
68%
No.
32%

Total votes: 22
Blitz
Battle.net Name: Blitzerg
Battle.net Char Code: 713
Battle.net Server: NA

Central Only

Post by Blitz » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:37 am

Ok so I thought I'd toss the idea around in poll-format. So I've been talking to many people and I've gotten mixed feels from everyone alike. Different servers have all different opinions, for different reasons.

Question : Would you play ZHL if all games were played on Central (Chicago)?

Reasoning : Personally I don't lag on central whatsoever. I'm an east coast player who averages 80-85 ms to Chicago. I've found that many west coast players are very spoiled with 20ms to the west server and get thrown off by the 80-100 me to Chicago. Many easy players have unplayable issues on west for may different reasons (let's not start the xapos talk here.) But I realized that no matter what I do to optimize my end of the lag, I will have issues while playing on the west coast. So why not have people on even playing grounds. Make the league more playable and accessible to all.

Justification : So after reading the ^^^^^^ I know many of you will then proceed to mentally complain that this is outrageous and unfair to all west players. But seriously how much different is my latency to central than yours is (west coast)? Think about it in futuristic terms, and not objectively. Yes theoretically most east players will have a small advantage in latency and players like Ken will completely disagree. But guess what? Welcome to the life of the East Coasters. Personally I haven't even been able to play in over 50% of all ZHL games, because of some absurd delay or amount of spikes, (could have something to do with Proster lagging me which was proven today in several in-houses)... But anyways I'm not the only one either, look at Darkangel, Prime, Eric, Stealth, Blitzerg (myself), Krazymen, Vapour, Perplex... And many others.

Conclusion : My big idea here is that making ZHL perma - central somewhat objectifies the ideal playground-rule type of fairness that everyone hopes to achieve.

The only two links you ever need to click:
https://puu.sh/zFTwQ/57cfb6dd4f.png
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2556
daggius
Battle.net Name: daggius
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Re: Central Only

Post by daggius » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Ping is based on geographic distance and Chicago is much closer to the east coast than it is to the west coast. The midwest server is not an "ideal playground" at all nor is it "central".

The solution to your problem is simple. Don't play cross server games. Rosters have 18 people on them, use someone else.

Also, next season we should adopt a 2 conference system as I have suggested. Every other sports league does this. You play the local teams more than the far away ones. More games without lag and bs.
daggius
Battle.net Name: daggius
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by daggius » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:32 pm

Another way to look at it is this. Chicago is 800 miles from New York, 700 from DC. Some of the west coast guys who play on the Los Angeles server are in Seattle (Ranch, Ken..). Seattle is 1000 miles from Los Angeles. They're already farther than from the west server and therefore have more delay on it than you have on the Chicago server coming from those east coast cities. I.E. they aren't getting 20 ms. No one's getting anything below 50 unless its like water who lives right on top of the server in Irvine. I'm in San Diego and i get like 70-80 ms when I play dota 2 (servers are in the same location and that's a game that has an actual -ping function).

Its pretty well established that west ppl can't play for shit on the chicago server. Look at prosters game yesterday, peterdlai's entire season 3 compared to his mvp season 2, countryken's retirement from chicago server, my 13 goals allowed in 2 east games this season vs 2 GAA on west this season...

The midwest server IS pretty central to the east coast. As in you can make an arc with radius 800 miles and hit a bunch of high population east coast cities pretty close. That's probably why Blizzard got rid of the east coast server, since Chicago actually serves those cities in a decent way!

But its more than twice as far from there to the west coast. You calling the midwest server "Central" would be like us putting a server in Salt Lake City and calling that "Central". It just ain't even close kid.
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:26 pm

An East and West division is probably a better way to go than simply opting onto one server. Even though I'd love to play all Chicago games. If population numbers stay consistent for ZH into season 4, it very well may be doable.

RIP NY.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:53 pm

0/10 would never play zhl again.

+1 to everything Daggius has said. And Blitzerg, we discovered the other night that your ping to the west server is actually the same as my ping to the central server.

"but water, your ping to west is much lower than my ping to central!"

False. My ping to west is 60ms (My internet isn't op right now). Your ping to central is ~80ms. Not much difference there.

The real solution is to start an inhouse league for 10pm - 1am PST, in which no one has lag issues on either server. We've even tested casting at this time and cross-server players don't lag at all.

You said yourself, last night, that the games were "so smooth!" compared to earlier in the day.

It basically seems like you're saying "instead of screwing east players some of the time and west players some of the time, let's just screw west players 100% of the time!" which, to me, is definitely not "perfect competition" like you claim to be striving for.

Note: The poll question is loaded. It's only asking if people will play on central. It's not asking if they think a central-only ZHL is a good idea. These are two different questions entirely. If I was presented the question "would you keep going to your school if the teachers were racist against african americans", I would say yes because I am not african american. However, this doesn't mean I think it's a good policy for the school.
Last edited by Watermelon on Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Ranchinator
Battle.net Name: Ranchinator
Battle.net Char Code: 131

Post by Ranchinator » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:20 pm

This is a bad idea.. there is no reason to force only one server on people. Look at the Redlings.. They have a PURE WEST TEAM. They would be one of the lower teams in the league if we forced this rule, even thought their skill level projects them to a high level team BECAUSE they are west players. You are proposing a SELFISH idea for YOURSELF not for YOUR TEAM.. There would be so many players that would straight up quit playing in zhl if you forced a central only, causing most of the community to disappear.
Best Captain S5, Best Sportsmanship S5.
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249

Post by krazymen » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:22 pm

As much as i would love this, i feel like a lot of really good players like proster and water would not be able to play at their full potential which is almost the same as the east player not playing their full on west. If we seperate the league with east and west conference i think the major issues is that theres not a very good "probe skill to zhl skill" ratio on both servers which might end up having really strong team and really weak teams. What i propose would be to keep the system we have but maybe reduce the numbers of teams and let the drafting owner draft their team keeping in mind that they would start 2 completely different teams on both server, not sure if this would be a good idea or not since theres a few downside to this idea and not that much good sides. Either way i feel like if the lag problems still goes on a lot of east players might be forced to do what people like ken and peter did and just stops playing west completely for next season.
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies