On the topic of lag..

Blitz
Battle.net Name: Blitzerg
Battle.net Char Code: 713
Battle.net Server: NA

On the topic of lag..

Post by Blitz » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Ok so to follow up Watermelon's topic, I have been thinking of what may be the cause of random laggyness from ZH. I wanted to say that I can play any other custom sc2 arcade with 0 lag (star strikers, dodgeball, etc.) I can play LoL which is perma west servers, I have about 140ms, but the connection is smooth as hell. I can play WoW on ultra settings and 0 lag. I can play D3 on ultra settings, 0 lag. And I NEVER USED TO LAG in ZH EVER, before this most recent Christmas. At first I thought it could possibly be that someone upgraded their internet and mine was getting interference or something, but I really don't think that's the case.. (mainly because I asked my neighbors).

~ I have a hunch that the big patch put into action around Christmas time has affected lag immensely. I was wondering if say tomorrow night one of the devs could allow ih players to use a very old version of the ZH map (where people didn't used to lag very much ~S1/S2 era~)? If lag is non-existant in this game mode, than I think that it's obviously the new version, and this could be a good test of my theory.

~Up for a try?

The only two links you ever need to click:
https://puu.sh/zFTwQ/57cfb6dd4f.png
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2556
daggius
Battle.net Name: daggius
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Re: On the topic of lag..

Post by daggius » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:17 pm

old map will be worse due to more collision checks causing other people in game with slower computers to cause lag for u

zealot hockey lags more than some other sc2 arcade games bc it is resource intensive due to the collision checks.

this causes slowdown in other players processes which combines with their and your latencies to fuck up the game.

refer to crush's topics here for details.

compared to other games such as LoL, dota2, Wow, which do have high resource requirements but dont lag: sc2 is a complete pile of shit and not set up to handle such shit bc it is a macro game where you need to control a bunch of units decently. shit like Dota and Lol you need to control one unit like a fucking brain surgeon with insane accuracy (just like zealot hockey). i.e. sc2 was more peer-to-peer lockstep, bc its main purpose is for playing actually starcraft 2. if they cared about making the game smooth and precise enough they would actually let you select a server so that you could get low latency instead of the "keep remaking till u get the server u want" appraoch that is required. everything in sc2 is ass backwards as far as the intent we have repurposed it for to play zealot hockey with

more about why other games were set up better than sc2

http://gafferongames.com/networking-for ... etworking/
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by DerrocK » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:52 am

Not speaking for myself as I'm not experiencing these lag issues after the patch but some EU players, eg neX, Snake, (and probably others) have been suffering from delay. I cannot specify nor give any info but I believe some players are collecting some data about GFX settings etc.
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
BacKFisCh
Battle.net Name: BacKFisCh
Battle.net Char Code: 396
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by BacKFisCh » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:36 pm

DerrocK wrote:Not speaking for myself as I'm not experiencing these lag issues after the patch but some EU players, eg neX, Snake, (and probably others) have been suffering from delay. I cannot specify nor give any info but I believe some players are collecting some data about GFX settings etc.
I can confirm this.

After the new patch was released on eu felt a delay.. I never had this problems before unless somebody was lagging pretty hard or I had a download running..
With the patch, I felt everywhere a little delay. I missed steals, the boost was delayed (impossible to play goalie) and even the turns were delayed.. some games were worse then good na games.
All these issues could be fixed for me by setting the options back to night time. I suggested this to other guys with the same problems but someppl have still the same problem.
I tried to figure out where that comes from but I can't find an solution.. I had no lag, the connection was fine and the fps were normal. I belive there is a coherence witht he gfx settings but yet I don't know what exactly.
I talked to different ppl with and without these issues and all got different settings...

I'll tell you as soon as I know more about that.

And pls don' tell me everything is fine. I am not the only one with nex and snake who experienced this. There are many more..
#votedraftleague2015
Vapour
Battle.net Name: Valour
Battle.net Char Code: 273

Post by Vapour » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:37 pm

I do have to agree with nighttime being more responsive, remember to use full screen (not windowed), low graphics with medium textures.
Check to see if you get a better connection on one server more than the other based upon where you live.
Another thing I've noticed is that public games tend to be more stable than inhouse games. I haven't ran into too many issues regarding latency unless someone was lagging the game furiously.
You will get delay depending how far you are from the server (check your pathping to each server) you should not be having lags/spikes otherwise you have an issue on your end or just a poor connection to a player in game since its peer to peer connections.
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:35 pm

So I got my 90mbps wired internet back today (that timing sucks rofl).

Immediately did a pingtest. My ping to Los Angeles is now 7ms, as opposed to the 50ms I was getting on a 4g lte connection. There's something to be said about being wired.

Yet to try it out in Zealot Hockey. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until the allstar series to test it in a casted, cross-server league game.

I was talking to Teroh the other day and the topic of observer slots came up. Blizz actually designed the obs slots to interfere significantly less with connections in the game, and we both feel that it might be worth looking into getting obs slots back in Zealot Hockey. Logistically, this would require Zealot Hockey to be split into two different maps - one for league, one for standard 4v4 (for some reason your map can't have multiple modes AND obs slots at the same time). This would also explain why season 3 seems to have more lag issues than season 2 did, as the only significant difference between the two is the use of league mode itself.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Blitz
Battle.net Name: Blitzerg
Battle.net Char Code: 713

Post by Blitz » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:51 am

I never used to lag in ZH, all of season 2 I was lag free. Bam, Christmas hits with new patch and I learn what a resource monitor is... I've been through this problem before in star strikers, as previously stated I have a hunch that the patch has made people lag. I ask again can we test an older version this weekend for some ih's please?

~ then again as I just experienced I can play west with a lobby of Daggius Proster ken watermelon yogi popper rush... All west players, experience 0 lag, and hold my own. But this is 3 am. I'd like to test an older version at more peak usage time.

The only two links you ever need to click:
https://puu.sh/zFTwQ/57cfb6dd4f.png
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2556
Kaioken
Battle.net Name: Kaioken
Battle.net Char Code: 266

Post by Kaioken » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:33 pm

How come Hover seems to have less lag than ZH but its almost the same game ?_?