Stat Tracking: Own Goals

How should own Goals be tracked?

NHL Style (given to last player that touched the puck on offensive team)
61%
Soccer Style (accredit defensive player that scored the own goal)
22%
Don't accredit anyone
17%

Total votes: 18
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457
Battle.net Server: NA

Stat Tracking: Own Goals

Post by l)arkangel » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:09 am

So I didn't see a rule about this anywhere on the site, but how should we officially be tracking own goal stats. The way I see it, there are two options. Accredit no one on the scoring team with a goal and the goals scored by each player and total goals scored by a team will not match. Or we could accredit the last player on the scoring team to have touched the puck with a goal. This latter option is the way that the NHL tracks own goals.

Refence (yes wiki):http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Own_goal#Ice_hockey
Last edited by l)arkangel on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249

Re: Stat Tracking: Own Goals

Post by krazymen » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:32 pm

I think that the people tracking the stats should decide on this one since it might be hard sometimes to go and look at who touched the puck from other team last but i think it would be a cool touch
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies
daggius
Battle.net Name: daggius
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by daggius » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:38 pm

own goal should be its own column on the skater stats , should be credited to the player on the defending team who scored it
xNCrush
Battle.net Name: Crush
Battle.net Char Code: 1661

Post by xNCrush » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:57 pm

daggius wrote:own goal should be its own column on the skater stats , should be credited to the player on the defending team who scored it
nah.

I've recorded two own goals, and both times I used the NHL method of giving goal credit to the last skater to touch the puck for the team receiving the goal. It's also possible to just edit the final score after we've imported the stats (as was done for the last two games) and no stat is entered for the own goal.
daggius
Battle.net Name: daggius
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by daggius » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:49 pm

xNCrush wrote:I've recorded two own goals, and both times I used the NHL method of giving goal credit to the last skater to touch the puck for the team receiving the goal. It's also possible to just edit the final score after we've imported the stats (as was done for the last two games) and no stat is entered for the own goal.
Using the NHL method doesn't make sense in in Zealot Hockey because the most own goals in NHL are result of deflections (where it makes sense to award the shooter). Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Own_goal:
If a goal is scored by a player on the defending team, credit for the goal goes to the last player on the other team to have touched the puck; this is because own goals in hockey are typically cases where the player so credited had the shot deflected, but this convention is used even where this isn't actually the case.
There aren't deflections in Zealot Hockey. If the puck hits a defender, it stops moving. It takes a deliberate action from the player to cause an own goal, i.e. them hitting it with their stick. For example: the two main causes of own goal in Zealot Hockey are:

1. a mis-aimed backpass to goalie and
2. a spam-clicking resteal in front of crease that accidentally turns into a shot into your own net

For this reason it makes more sense to use the soccer scoring protocol for own goals. This is because in soccer, most own goals are not deflections, just like in Zealot Hockey. Own goals are usually scored in soccer by a deliberate attempt of the player (i.e. he extends his leg to block a cross but mishits it, bad backpass to goalie, etc) that is misplayed into his own net.
In association football, an own goal occurs when a player causes the ball to go into his or her own team's goal, resulting in a goal being scored for the opposition.

The fact that the defending player touches the ball last does not automatically mean that the goal is recorded as an own goal. Only if the ball would not have gone past the goal-line but for the defending player would an own goal be credited. Thus a shot which is already "on target" would not be an own goal even if deflected by the defender. In this case the attacker is awarded the goal, even if the shot would have otherwise been easily saved by the goalkeeper. Some scorers will give credit to the attacker if the defender's mistake caused the own goal, similar to ice hockey. The Laws of the Game do not stipulate any rules or procedures for crediting goals to players, and indeed such records are not a compulsory part of the game.

The defending player who scored the own goal is personally "credited" with the goal as part of the statistical abstract of the game. The credit is annotated "(og)" to indicate its nature.
It is clear that Zealot Hockey is more aligned with the soccer own goal definition. Look at the 2 own goals from last Sunday for example. They were not deflected goals by a shooter, so it makes no sense awarding the goal to the shooter. Death's OG was a resteal attempt that turned into him shooting into his own net. Deliberate play on the ball by him that caused a goal. Blitzergs goal, he held the puck for several seconds in front of crease with no opponent pressuring him. Then he mis-played a pass back to the goalie into his own net. Makes no sense awarding a goal to an opponent in this case either.
Last edited by daggius on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blitz
Battle.net Name: Blitzerg
Battle.net Char Code: 713

Post by Blitz » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:50 pm

fuck off ;)

The only two links you ever need to click:
https://puu.sh/zFTwQ/57cfb6dd4f.png
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2556
l)arkangel

Post by l)arkangel » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:07 pm

poll up.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
htcp
Battle.net Name: htcp
Battle.net Char Code: 332

Post by htcp » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:30 pm

daggius wrote:
xNCrush wrote:I've recorded two own goals, and both times I used the NHL method of giving goal credit to the last skater to touch the puck for the team receiving the goal. It's also possible to just edit the final score after we've imported the stats (as was done for the last two games) and no stat is entered for the own goal.
Using the NHL method doesn't make sense in in Zealot Hockey because the most own goals in NHL are result of deflections (where it makes sense to award the shooter). Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Own_goal:
If a goal is scored by a player on the defending team, credit for the goal goes to the last player on the other team to have touched the puck; this is because own goals in hockey are typically cases where the player so credited had the shot deflected, but this convention is used even where this isn't actually the case.
There aren't deflections in Zealot Hockey. If the puck hits a defender, it stops moving. It takes a deliberate action from the player to cause an own goal, i.e. them hitting it with their stick. For example: the two main causes of own goal in Zealot Hockey are:

1. a mis-aimed backpass to goalie and
2. a spam-clicking resteal in front of crease that accidentally turns into a shot into your own net

For this reason it makes more sense to use the soccer scoring protocol for own goals. This is because in soccer, most own goals are not deflections, just like in Zealot Hockey. Own goals are usually scored in soccer by a deliberate attempt of the player (i.e. he extends his leg to block a cross but mishits it, bad backpass to goalie, etc) that is misplayed into his own net.
In association football, an own goal occurs when a player causes the ball to go into his or her own team's goal, resulting in a goal being scored for the opposition.

The fact that the defending player touches the ball last does not automatically mean that the goal is recorded as an own goal. Only if the ball would not have gone past the goal-line but for the defending player would an own goal be credited. Thus a shot which is already "on target" would not be an own goal even if deflected by the defender. In this case the attacker is awarded the goal, even if the shot would have otherwise been easily saved by the goalkeeper. Some scorers will give credit to the attacker if the defender's mistake caused the own goal, similar to ice hockey. The Laws of the Game do not stipulate any rules or procedures for crediting goals to players, and indeed such records are not a compulsory part of the game.

The defending player who scored the own goal is personally "credited" with the goal as part of the statistical abstract of the game. The credit is annotated "(og)" to indicate its nature.
It is clear that Zealot Hockey is more aligned with the soccer own goal definition. Look at the 2 own goals from last Sunday for example. They were not deflected goals by a shooter, so it makes no sense awarding the goal to the shooter. Death's OG was a resteal attempt that turned into him shooting into his own net. Deliberate play on the ball by him that caused a goal. Blitzergs goal, he held the puck for several seconds in front of crease with no opponent pressuring him. Then he mis-played a pass back to the goalie into his own net. Makes no sense awarding a goal to an opponent in this case either.
+1
i'm tom
Vapour
Battle.net Name: Valour
Battle.net Char Code: 273

Post by Vapour » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm all for the NHL's style, I rather give the goal to the opposition team, hence last man to touch it.
l)arkangel

Post by l)arkangel » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Majority favors giving to last player who touched the puck so going with that from now on.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile