Stat Tracking: Own Goals

How should own Goals be tracked?

NHL Style (given to last player that touched the puck on offensive team)
61%
Soccer Style (accredit defensive player that scored the own goal)
22%
Don't accredit anyone
17%

Total votes: 18
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Stat Tracking: Own Goals

Post by l)arkangel » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:54 pm

However, it needs to be a clear mistake via a click battle (or just a genuine mistake from a 1timer or something) in order for a goal to be awarded. No goals were awarded to the probe league game last night due to the fact they were simple passes to the goalie or a bm own goal (who knows).
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
daggius
Battle.net Name: daggius
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by daggius » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:43 pm

l)arkangel wrote:Majority favors giving to last player who touched the puck so going with that from now on.
per this, kurt need to be awarded +1 goal for own goal by ranchinator at 2:49 in first period of zenn tigers game

if ur giving assists, rush assisted

http://www.zealothockey.net/zhl/event/1817/
l)arkangel

Post by l)arkangel » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:52 pm

soz no. it's only being done for goals that are click battle own goals, not random fuck up goals.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
daggius

Post by daggius » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:52 pm

l)arkangel wrote:soz no. it's only being done for goals that are click battle own goals, not random fuck up goals.
so why isnt there an own goal being awarded to the defending player who fucked up? its like you agree that it makes most sense to do own goals soccer style, but saidw e were gonna do it nhl style, but were not doing it either way in actuality.

imo u cant just have a goal thats not awarded to anyone. its either an own goal awarded to the defending player or its awarded to the attacking player. cant have a goal thats just not on the stat sheet anywhere
l)arkangel

Post by l)arkangel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:34 pm

I'm personally not a fan of making a whole new stat labeled "Own Goals." Therefore at best it would be labeled in the notes, and I'll leave that up to peter's discretion.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
daggius

Post by daggius » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:39 pm

well if u dont like an own goal stat then why not just do it nhl style and give to the attacker? majority liked this in the poll anyway. its gota be an own goal or given to the attacker or it just makes no sense whatsoever. u cant have a 9 goal game with only 8 goals recorded

i personally prefer the own goal stat. we both agree that own goals in zealot hockey are usually bc of the defending player fucking up independently of the offensive player. so it makes more sense to have that fuckup indicated on their stats rather than rewarded another player randomly. lets say you are looking at defender of the year decisions and you see one defender has 3 own goals. isnt that a useful stat that would play into your voting? it would make sense to add OG as a stat and for the player to also get -1 point for an own goal since they get +1 for a goal /assist.

but either way u do it every goal should be accounted for in some manner.
l)arkangel

Post by l)arkangel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:53 pm

I am open to making that a stat for next season, can't say I'm going to go back and find all the own goals that happened this season. I could make a new stat, though. Whether its an own goal attributed to the offense or defense would be up to the stat recorders discretion. If they are deciding for an incident involving themselves, I'd probably weigh in for an extra opinion to avoid stat padding. However, this does mean its going to be somewhat of a gray area. And I'm not looking to deal with someone complaining about not getting most points in league for a season because they didn't get attributed for a goal when it was a defensive own goal.

/random rant

if Vapour is still looking for random things to do, I could set him up to go back and look for own goals throughout the season and make a judgement call on whether it should be attributed to the offensive player or defensive player.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
daggius

Post by daggius » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Why should we try to make subjective decision as to whether a goal is credited to a defending player or an attacker? Like you said regarding stat padders, its too subjective.

Take the ranch own goal for example. He saved a shot from kurt, then passed it off his own shield into the net. There are two possible lines of reasoning on this matter:
A. Kurt forced the error by pressuring the net and scared ranch into making the error. Give kurt the goal.
B. Kurt's shot was saved. Ranch then committed an unrelated error by shooting the puck into his own net. Ranch should be given an own goal.

It doesn't make sense to interpret each own goal differently based on circumstances because its still a subjective interpretation.

It makes only sense to decide ahead of time that we will either do it NHL style or soccer style for all goals since that will be completely objective and also give credit for every goal on the stat sheet and not have certain ones missing because they were in some gray area.

NHL style - own goal happens. credit goal it to the last attacker who touched it, or nearest attacking player if it was a pass back from defenseman.
Soccer style - own goal happens. credit goal as own goal to the person who put it in the net. (same person who is credited on the screen in Zealot Hockey)
l)arkangel

Post by l)arkangel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:21 pm

It doesn't account for troll own goals (guer shooting on own net to hear goal horn), blatant miscommunication between goalie/skater (skater isn't pressured put passes to goalie and goalie misses), etc. I mean we could award it to the nearest person still in both situations (or last person who touched puck if thats applicable), but its still an undeserved goal either way in these situations. But I get what you're saying, I wouldn't mind making changes to how we record these next season.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile