Probe Playoff Rule Proposal

Kurt_58
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kurt
Battle.net Char Code: 638
Battle.net Server: NA

Probe Playoff Rule Proposal

Post by Kurt_58 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:08 am

For next season, when the time comes, here's my proposal for playoff eligibility.

1st off. Stop with the % rules. The actual execution and maintenance to check every player for certain percentages is tedious and unneeded.

2nd. Stop making rules that are specifically targeted towards a particular person/issue. It's just bad practice to do this. Everyone wants to make a rule that is targeted at a specific person or group, but it ends up affecting everyone with bad side effects. Stop burning down the whole village just to kill 1 snake. Rules are supposed to be unbias. The only subjective rules are the necessary and proper clause for the commish, and probe league exceptions.

Probe league playoff eligibility:
Players with 4 or less games in zhl, as well as 3 or more games played in zhpl, are fully eligible for probe playoffs.

*as always the numbers aren't the important thing here its the frame work.

**This would also have to change our exceptions for off position but if we have a rule this strict we could scrap the off position automatic exception and make the only exceptions to this rule a League Pardon.

This will actually encourage teams to rotate their lineup for probe league during the regular season. In order to get the max # of eligibles.

Doesn't disenfranchise true probes that enter through the FA by banning all FA play in probe playoffs.

Doesn't hurt teams that have deep rosters. Just because a team has a lot of talent doesn't mean you should ban their players from playing probe off.

This could have some bad side effects for certain players but if owners know this rule from the beginning of the season then it should actually encourage more probies to play, which is always a good thing. Besides, if any true probes seem worthy but for some reason don't fit into the criteria, their owner can always request an exception.

Banning former players from entering the FA draft or playing in probe playoffs is a lacluster approach to the issue. It's a near sighted bandaid to the problem. It encourages smurfing, cuts the league numbers down, is unfair to old players that aren't good, and makes old players not want to come back.
Kurt_58
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kurt
Battle.net Char Code: 638

Re: Probe Playoff Rule Proposal

Post by Kurt_58 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:14 am

Oh yea and one more thing for any of the aspiring people that want to get involved with the rule making process. Keep it simple stupid. Overly complex rules are often times the worst. In both the actual execution of them and especially the maintenance the league has to do to keep up with it.
Rigensis
Battle.net Name: Rigensis
Battle.net Char Code: 955
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by Rigensis » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 am

+1 to this. Was just thinking about exactly the same thing.

I would add that technically the current probe playoffs eligibility rule would suffice with minor change.
"A probe league players must have played in 4 or less ZHL games"
Deleted part from the rule " during the Regular Season."
You should count the games played in playoffs into that rule.
For example, JMoney played 3 games(not a truth, probably, just example) in zhl during season and then as the playoffs started he can
a) play 1 game in zhl playoffs and then play only in zhpl
or
b) play only in zhl playoffs.
This would require to schedule the first zhl games before zhpl playoffs.

Yesterday someone (tom or reim) mentioned as suggestion something about committee which would decide if a player has low enough skill to participate in zhpl playoffs as a tool to protect new players for whom the probe league supposedly is made for - almost fell of my chair. What a mad idea :D
Probe League should be a place for talent which doesn't fit in ZHL. If there are skilled players who is not required in grownup league, because there are more skilled players already there, then they should play in probees.
That will teach new guys the tough lesson of life - skill matters.
And about op guy jumping into playoff train out of nowhere - well - USA, Russia, Sweden (and other big hockey nations) are doing the same thing in Ice Hockey World Championships - when at the quarter finals or semi finals suddenly some big names arrives from nhl.
Kurt`s suggestion tho is elegant and beautiful. Op-playoff-train-jumpers will be forced at least to pretend that they care about regular season.

And it is worth thinking about suggestion that players from Free Agency draft/Mid-season draft shouldn't be allowed to play in ZHL.
poopeybutt
Battle.net Name: cowsmoke
Battle.net Char Code: 1234
Battle.net Server: KR

Post by poopeybutt » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:29 pm

Kurt_58 wrote: Probe league playoff eligibility:
Players with 4 or less games in zhl, as well as 3 or more games played in zhpl, are fully eligible for probe playoffs.
rip inactive people like me and teroh. No probe playoffs for us if that happens :/

This season I made 4 games. 1 was a ZHL west and the others were ZHPL easts.
Last edited by poopeybutt on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I might be on in a week or so...
poopeybutt

Post by poopeybutt » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:29 pm

Maybe just make it so that people who have played more probe games that ZHL games are eligible for probes? This would rule out the fact that owners would have to rotate their lineups to get people to be eligible. Maybe a middle ground can be found here.
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249

Post by krazymen » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:11 pm

I like the rule but gigi has a good point here. Innactive people because of personal reasons that wont play enough games but should still be able to play in the playoffs would not be able to do anything.

I dont agree with rig saying Free agents shouldnt be allowed in ZHL because then theres no point in free agents. I also dont agree with the fact that probe players shouldnt be allowed in ZHL playoffs because i think its a great place for them to get experience if they are needed by their team (ZHL starters missing for example).

I also think we shouldnt ban players from getting into FA, however the banning of ex ZHL players would be a failsafe in case we get really bad owners again.

I dont think of that as a long term rule but more of a short term rule until we find good owners for sure. If old players wants to come back then they could do it at the start of the season we're not banning them from the league just banning them from FA.

In the case that we get bad owners and allow ex ZHL players theres a chance that what happened this season happens again.
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies
poopeybutt

Post by poopeybutt » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:30 pm

krazymen wrote:I like the rule but gigi has a good point here. Innactive people because of personal reasons that wont play enough games but should still be able to play in the playoffs would not be able to do anything.

I dont agree with rig saying Free agents shouldnt be allowed in ZHL because then theres no point in free agents. I also dont agree with the fact that probe players shouldnt be allowed in ZHL playoffs because i think its a great place for them to get experience if they are needed by their team (ZHL starters missing for example).

I also think we shouldnt ban players from getting into FA, however the banning of ex ZHL players would be a failsafe in case we get really bad owners again.

I dont think of that as a long term rule but more of a short term rule until we find good owners for sure. If old players wants to come back then they could do it at the start of the season we're not banning them from the league just banning them from FA.

In the case that we get bad owners and allow ex ZHL players theres a chance that what happened this season happens again.
+1

I think Dark did a great job under the given circumstances, but I think for s5 we need to give the commish more power and allow him to completely overturn the trade between TK and Provy. Things like that should not even come into question.
Rigensis
Battle.net Name: Rigensis
Battle.net Char Code: 955
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by Rigensis » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:54 pm

If you gave any power to players - like refuse to be traded - then you wouldn't need to make op commissioner :)
poopeybutt

Post by poopeybutt » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Rigensis wrote:If you gave any power to players - like refuse to be traded - then you wouldn't need to make op commissioner :)
That would cause so much chaos. Players on teams like new folsom and barracudas would just leave and owners would be fucked. A nice idea but I cannot agree with it.
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249

Post by krazymen » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:13 pm

Rigensis wrote:If you gave any power to players - like refuse to be traded - then you wouldn't need to make op commissioner :)
that wouldnt fix anything if you take s4 as example tom/crush were fine with the trade yet it was veto'd by the commish because it was seen as unfair soooo thats not a good way to do it.
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies