Perhaps it might be time for a debate

krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249
Battle.net Server: NA

Perhaps it might be time for a debate

Post by krazymen » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lpMxc4fZNU

Just gonna start by saying that i dont care what you do in the game. I dont play to win, i dont care if i lose or if i win. I have already won 2 seasons i dont need to win another to prove anything to anyone. To blitz, i am not salty i am just posting this because i enjoy the game.

Obviously, this is about the strat that is becoming more and more popular : bitchwalking.
Is it a legitimate strat? yes, it helps the team doing it keep his lead and score even more goals way easier.

Is it very effective? yes it is incredibly effective no matter what server you're playing on, forcing 2 players to cover 1 is a breakaway maker.

Is it fun to watch(on stream)? From my past experience in twitch chat watching it and seeing the twitch comments, it is not fun to watch at all.

Is it fun to play against it? No, no one likes to be forced into doing something very risky in order to have the chance to just maybe touch the puck.

Is it risky to do? theres almost no risk at all, lets assume that it is not a new player doing it and it is an average player so anyone in let say top 7 rounds. They can easily wrap around their net until 2 people from the other team goes out of position and then passes using the wall to his other teammate.

Is it fun to do? Im sure some people enjoy to do it to win, if no one enjoyed doing it no one would be doing it. But, theres always (I hope) that shame in winning doing a bitchwalk. No one will go brag about winning against a team better than them by bitchwalking. No one will get better at the game by bitchwalking either.

The most important thing is the fact that it is not fun to watch and play against. If more people use that strat, then obviously more people will not enjoy playing the game and that might end up in having a lot of people switch game or just stop playing zhl.

Everything said in here is my opinion on the matter. I dont have any proof of anything i said. I just think that its an issue for a lot of people and felt the need to post about it.

If you disagree with me feel free to say it. Same goes for people that agrees with me.

As for me, i just want to say that if this stays in the game and people enjoy doing it. Then this game is not for me anymore and ill only play ih instead of ZHL.I just dont feel like wasting my time for 20 minutes by playing ring around the rosie you know.
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies
LinGuini
Battle.net Name: lingking
Battle.net Char Code: 166

Re: Perhaps it might be time for a debate

Post by LinGuini » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:17 pm

if this continues many people will quit zealot hockey..... what's the point? get ahead by 2 goals, walk around your net so 2 people have to cover you, then do a wall pass for a 2 on 1 breakaway?
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:26 pm

:cry: If you can come up with a way to prevent it without fucking up the rest of the game, I'm all ears.
Last edited by Watermelon on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
krazymen

Post by krazymen » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:31 pm

Watermelon wrote:If you can come up with a way to prevent it without fucking up the rest of the game, I'm all ears. I do think it's silly that we're being insulted personally for using a viable strategy. Hate the rules, not the players.
easiest way to regulate it in my opinion is to have the casters acts as a referee during the game, similar to referees in boxing and UFC where they stop the fight when they are hugging for too long.

Force a faceoff or force the possession of the puck to go to the other team. Whatever the community thinks is appropriate.
Undefeated in 5v5
Watermelon

Post by Watermelon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:34 pm

krazymen wrote:
Watermelon wrote:If you can come up with a way to prevent it without fucking up the rest of the game, I'm all ears.
easiest way to regulate it in my opinion is to have the casters acts as a referee during the game, similar to referees in boxing and UFC where they stop the fight when they are hugging for too long.

Force a faceoff or force the possession of the puck to go to the other team. Whatever the community thinks is appropriate.
Players in the game should be able to know how long they have.
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:41 pm

15-30 second max on your half of the ice. like basketball.

edit: 5 second warning countdown before "delay of game" is called and faceoff on defender's half of ice occurs.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
krazymen

Post by krazymen » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:42 pm

Watermelon wrote:
krazymen wrote:
Watermelon wrote:If you can come up with a way to prevent it without fucking up the rest of the game, I'm all ears.

Players in the game should be able to know how long they have.
Of course, im just being very vague. Commish and league managers would go into it in more details to make it easy to enforce.
Undefeated in 5v5
Watermelon

Post by Watermelon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:00 am

I don't like the idea of a caster determining what does and doesn't constitute bitchwalking. For instance, what would you do if the puck holder is being pressured and decides to skate backwards? (watch proster when people double team him)

I think there should be some sort of visible timer / game mechanic, but idk what would work best yet.

For a timer that changes possession or forces faceoff after you hold the puck in your own half for a certain amount of time, what happens if you bounce it out to your team and they send it right back?
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
krazymen

Post by krazymen » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:34 am

Watermelon wrote:I don't like the idea of a caster determining what does and doesn't constitute bitchwalking. For instance, what would you do if the puck holder is being pressured and decides to skate backwards? (watch proster when people double team him)

I think there should be some sort of visible timer / game mechanic, but idk what would work best yet.

For a timer that changes possession or forces faceoff after you hold the puck in your own half for a certain amount of time, what happens if you bounce it out to your team and they send it right back?
I think its pretty easy to tell if its a bitchwalk or not. Just having something regulating it in the first place would probably make people stop using it.
Undefeated in 5v5
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:57 am

Watermelon wrote:For a timer that changes possession or forces faceoff after you hold the puck in your own half for a certain amount of time, what happens if you bounce it out to your team and they send it right back?
It could be a cumulative timer (in that case change it to like 45 seconds) that is reset if the other team gains posession or takes a shot on net. It'd be sort of like you have 45 seconds to get a shot off. Which might be a bit extreme. WIll think more about it.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile