Perhaps it might be time for a debate

Scrios
Battle.net Name: Scrios
Battle.net Char Code: 543
Battle.net Server: EU

Re: Perhaps it might be time for a debate

Post by Scrios » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:50 am

I am not a big fan of discussions and thanks to not following NA scene (sorry :oops: ) i didn't know that this kind of strategy is becoming more and more a problem. I haven't seen this really often in EU.

I think most of the community agrees that there has to be changes to prevent the use of this strategy. Since I am a big fan of the NBA i would implement a simple but effective action: 15 or maybe even 20 second backcourt violation (comparable to the 8 seconds of NBA). Once you gain puck possession in your own half (no matter how) you have to get the puck above the center line within that time and you are not allowed to go behind it again (in some situations this might be very tough to do for puck handler so we can also say that you are allowed to have the puck in your half for 15/20 seconds within a possession so you can go back and forth the center line as long as you've got the time).
If the time runs out, all zealots remain at their position and the puck will be given to the opponents goalkeeper (f.e. with the puck distribution drone or whatever this thing is :D ) who know has again 15/20 seconds to get the puck in opponents half. This way you can still play a slow-paced playstyle but you don't have unlimited time in your own half (in opponents half you do but it is of course harder to maintain puck possession) which forces you to go into offense again.

We could also add a 3-strike rule to give opponents team a penalty after you had 3 backcourt violations in 1 game but maybe this is already too much of a punishment.

This was just a quick thought about it so not everything is planned out very well but I hope it is understandable and finds at least in some minds recognition. ;)

I havent read through all 10 pages so if somebody already came up with this idea i apologise and remain in shame.

Edit: The 15/20 second timer will only be set back if the opponent team had the control over the puck (same as in NBA where just simply touching the basketball isn't enough to have control). I would suggest that the opponent team must have the puck for at least 2 seconds in their possession until it counts as puck control and sets the clock back to 20 seconds.
SilentFate
Battle.net Name: SilentFate
Battle.net Char Code: 10000

Post by SilentFate » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:39 pm

Scrios is right!!! Pay attention and take notes!!!!
#Free LOGIK ELO
#Free SILENTFATE ELO
#
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by DerrocK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:49 pm

I think having a restriction that doesnt let you go back to your half would be a massive buff for the Z yolos for an easy 1v0 breakaway since a 3rd man with the puck would have less time and room to maneuver
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
Scrios
Battle.net Name: Scrios
Battle.net Char Code: 543

Post by Scrios » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:29 pm

You can stay in your half, just not with the puck (or at least not longer than 15/20 seconds). As I said in the other post, I don't think that this is a massive change since most teams don't even need that much time to cross the center line. If this bitchwalking is really a big thing in NA and maybe soon in EU, this is one way to prevent it in my opinion. ;)
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky

Post by DerrocK » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:43 pm

The single best solution is a gentlemens agreement like we have on EU where no1/very few people do this and its regarded as dirty by most of the community
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz
Battle.net Server: NA

Post by Tenkz » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:51 pm

NA is not as clean as EU. There'll never be a complete agreement. You're up 3-2 in the finals with 1 minute left, you pause and your team captain tells you to just dribble around and pass it up when you're in danger. This is the subtle time wasting that is unpreventable, and there's no way to completely stop it without hindering gameplay.

Actually, I'm fairly sure one of the main reasons why walking isn't extremely popular is due to a feeling of wanting to run up the score.
HALOUNSC
Battle.net Name: HALOUNSC

Post by HALOUNSC » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:50 pm

Simple: like basketball where a team gets 20-25 seconds to shoot otherwise it will be a penalty. Unlike basketball, the defense can attempt to steal the puck.

Timer doesn't reset every time a teammate gets the puck from the other teammate. Its just a constant timer until the play timer expires or enemy steals it away. If enemy gets puck from them then timer is reset for their own team to begin their play timer.
Penalty either by face off on the team's side that got the penalty. It doesn't kill bitch walk it just reduces it. Or game stops and resets where the team that didn't get the penalty gets the puck but gets it by their side of the court.
End of story. Otherwise every idea made here has been argued or/and disagreed on so if that's the case then everyone stop whining and deal with bitch walk.
Also trying to cast a bitch walk for a little bit Is ok like idk 10-15 secs. Otherwise more than that just doesn't excite me because there is no "hype" or "battle to the end feeling" after a certain time.
Cubs
Battle.net Name: Cubs
Battle.net Char Code: 781

Post by Cubs » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:12 pm

I'll cast bitchwalk:

[____] gets the puck and here we go folks, prepare your assholes for (X) minutes of absolutely nothing. *begins to talk about other things relevant to the league, such as standings, prior/upcoming games, etc.*

im the kid thatd jump a kid like you
Blitz
Battle.net Name: Blitzerg
Battle.net Char Code: 713

Post by Blitz » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:43 am

Everyone who is suggesting a "shot clock" of 20 seconds or something is being a bit inconsiderate and pretty narrow-minded. Take players like myself/proster/mahar who are very possession oriented players. I very often hold the puck 10-15 seconds (without bitchwalking at all) to help find the best pass/thread/shot/play etc. You're going to nerf people with good possession skills, and reward bad possession players, as well as reward people yolo'ing because as soon as that 10 second clock nears, people can just randomly yolo... Very bad idea.

The only two links you ever need to click:
https://puu.sh/zFTwQ/57cfb6dd4f.png
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2556
Marker
Battle.net Name: Marker
Battle.net Char Code: 164

Post by Marker » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:36 am

PGP KEY

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BO0QBS9-l_SW03alNQMnF6Z0U/view?usp=sharing