ZHL Playoff Predictions

Cubs
Battle.net Name: Cubs
Battle.net Char Code: 781
Battle.net Server: NA

ZHL Playoff Predictions

Post by Cubs » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:12 pm

Hi all,
With the start of the playoffs right around the corner, I decided to make my predictions for how each round will go down and have included my championship prediction. I’m open to criticism in the thread, but let’s try to keep it constructive and not bm :) thanks. With that, let’s start.

Quarterfinals

Matchup 1: Tarsonis City Tigers @ Korhal Warpigs

The first matchup of the season 5 playoffs features two strong defensive teams that split their season series with a pair of shutouts in the Tigers, featuring Krazymen and Kaioken, and the Warpigs, with Tom and Guer. While Lingking is without a doubt the best offense in this series, Reimer will have the edge over Perplex, especially on east which both teams are. Also, Tom and Guer are both strong offensive threats and are both more of a dual threat than either Krazy or Kaio. Ultimately, the Warpigs are a much stronger overall team, and should have no problems advancing to the next round.

Prediction: Warpigs 3-0

Matchup 2: New Gettysburg Flyers @ Shakuras Inquisition

The second matchup of the quarterfinals is a lot closer matched, starring the season’s two offensive powerhouses the Flyers (4.33 GPG) and the Inquisition (4.11 GPG). If the Inquisition are able to get Darkangel to show up for the finals, which is more than likely, it will benefit them greatly. The defense Dark provides is a large help to their goalie Halo, and will allow Three and Vapour to play their more offensive-minded roles. Of course, this offense is countered by the strong defense of Blitzerg, but the goalie situation of the Flyers is uncertain. Certain rumors have risen that their stronger goalie (and their east goalie) Marker will not show up to any more games because of issues he has with the team. All is a solid goalie, but he is coming off a poor performance in their final game vs Mar Sara in which they had an opportunity to clinch the second seed, and has had some east issues in the past. Unfortunately for him, the Inquisition is the higher seed and will no doubt host east as their entire team is east. With this high-powered offense against a shaky All on his off-server, it will be too much and the Inquisition will advance.

Prediction: Inquisition 3-1

Semifinals

Matchup 1: Korhal Warpigs @ Mar Sara Threat Agents

Starting off the semis we see a round 16 rematch between the Korhal Warpigs and the Mar Sara Threat Agents. The Warpigs have started to fall as they’ve lost their last two regular season games including a 2-5 loss to the Threat Agents who did not have their primary offense which caused them to lose the second seed, a bye, and home ice advantage guaranteed until at least the finals. Mar Sara has finished this season strong with a 3 game win streak that propelled them to this second seed and is looking to continue their win streak. While their starting goaltender Gandalf appears to have contracted some lag issues, their secondary goalie Kholin has stepped up and helped them get to the second seed they have, and has proven that he is yet again a ZHL caliber goalie. In the end, the series will be close, but the Threats will be too strong on west and while the games will be close, the Threats will end up taking this one and advancing to the Tassadar Cup Championship.

Prediction: Threats 3-2

Matchup 2: Shakuras Inquisition @ Kaldir Yetis

In the second semifinal matchup we see the first place Yetis taking on the fourth seeded Inquisition. The Inquisition will have just come off a series victory over a team with the same offensive capabilities as the Yetis, but this time they’ll be against a VERY good goalie. The Inquisition do not have anywhere close to the momentum the Yetis have, but they’ll have played only a week ago while the last game for the Yetis at this point was a loss to the Threat Agents two and a half weeks ago. That being said, the Yetis are scary for anyone to play, but the Inquisition will be ready to play. Unfortunately, the Yetis are just so strong that Three and Vapour will not be able to beat TownKrier enough and Kurt will be able to capitalize on unpredictable Halo goaltending, just edging them past the Inquisition in this series.

Prediction: Yetis 3-2

Finals: Mar Sara Threat Agents @ Kaldir Yetis

Wow, how original, I only picked the higher seed each round, putting the 1 and 2 seeds in the championship. But these teams are #1 and #2 for a reason. Originally, I was considering Shakuras in the championship, but then I looked at some of the more important facts. Both teams, Kaldir and Mar Sara, have won 7 out of their last 9 games, in this span both beating all the other playoff teams (except Kaldir didn’t beat Mar Sara), and they have the top two starting lineups. Kaldir has this season’s points leader, Kurt, one of few players that have never missed a game and is able to control the masses with his skills as a talkshow cohost. Next up are the interchangeable Rush and JMoney, Rush the once defender who still steps up into a defender role at times but has adopted the position he has supporting Kurt, and JMoney, who will do anything you tell him to do without complaint (I’d bet Rush could make him goalie if TK wanted to skate at some point) and does it well. Finishing up the Kaldir squad we get their goalie, TownKrier, the ONLY goalie to show up for every single game and has given the Yetis very strong numbers, having the second lowest Goals Allowed Average only to Reimer who has had a lot of help from defensively minded Guer and Tom. On the other hand, Mar Sara has the best two way player in the league, Maharishi, capable of not only juking anyone for hours just to find a pass to one of his teammates but also shutting down defenders in a Guerilla or Blitzerg fashion. Then we get to the ever-present Carlito, former probe star that finally broke out, possibly with some outside help, and has led the Mar Sara offense, netting 26 goals in 16 games. Finally, rounding out the skaters is the one and only Fable, known for being able to calculate his shots and find the slightest of gaps that a goalie leaves, but has been limited as their team has no real defender. Their goalie situation as of late has been up in the air, their normal goaltender Gandalf having a few issues towards the end of the season, but their backup, Kholin, has stepped up and performed in clutch games when they needed him. These teams both have certain strengths and weaknesses, and this series will come down to who can capitalize on these weaknesses the most. In this regard, I give Mar Sara the edge. Their main lack is a solid goalie, but their defense from Maha and Fable can make up for that. While TK is a very strong goalie, JMoney, who is generally their defender, is not a strong defender at that. I believe Mar Sara wins this series if in each game they start out strong with a few quick goals, and then give the puck to Maha who can slow the pace of the game way down and dominating the possession game. This series will be long and hard fought, but in the end it will be the Threat Agents that will claim the Tassadar Cup.

Prediction: Threats 3-2

Honestly guys, like I said before, you can believe I’m wrong, I don’t mind. I HOPE I’ll be proved wrong, I don’t want to see the Yetis in the finals (Sorry good fren Rush), but if you look at how these teams have been doing recently, it’s hard not to say that Mar Sara and Kaldir are the two best teams. Good luck to everyone in the playoffs, and I hope we see some great matchups.
Last edited by Cubs on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

im the kid thatd jump a kid like you
Cubs

Re: ZHL Playoff Predictions

Post by Cubs » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:34 pm

Oh also, decided to add probe predictions but without analysis, I'm too tired to do that for every game.

Wildcard Round

Matchup 1: New Folsom Outlaws @ Tarsonis City Wildcats
Prediction: Outlaws 2-1

Matchup 2: Redstone Marauders @ Zenn Chill
Prediction: Chill 2-0

Quaterfinals

Matchup 1: New Folsom Outlaws @ Korhal Warthogs
Prediction: Warthogs 2-0

Matchup 2: Zenn Chill @ Shakuras Crusaders
Prediction: Crusaders 2-1

Matchup 3: New Gettysburg Aviators @ Mar Sara Hazards
Prediction:
Aviators 2-1

Matchup 4: Zerus Broodlings @ Kaldir Snowmen
Prediction:
Snowmen 2-0

Semifinals

Matchup 1: New Gettysburg Aviators @ Korhal Warthogs
Prediction:
Warthogs 2-0

Matchup 2: Kaldir Snowmen @ Shakuras Crusaders
Prediction:
Snowmen 2-1

Finals: Kaldir Snowmen @ Korhal Warthogs
Prediction:
Warthogs 3-0

Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:45 pm

Not sure why you think Mar Sara is a west team, their only west starter is carlito
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Cubs

Post by Cubs » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:04 am

Watermelon wrote:Not sure why you think Mar Sara is a west team, their only west starter is carlito
Is Fable not west? Hmm thought he was west, and maha was dual server so they host west all the time to help carl and fable. Either way, they'll still host west against the Warpigs regardless of if they're east or west.

OptimusReim
Battle.net Name: Reimer
Battle.net Char Code: 367

Post by OptimusReim » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:06 am

hwcubs2012 wrote: Matchup 1: Korhal Warpigs @ Mar Sara Threat Agents
The Threats swept the season series between the two, beating the Warpigs handily on both east and west
Entertaining and great read!
Just a fact check: In the 8th week (first game between the teams) the Warpigs 5-0'd the Threat Agents on East
http://www.zealothockey.net/zhl/event/4113/
Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm
stealthmeh
Battle.net Name: stealth
Battle.net Char Code: 522

Post by stealthmeh » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:19 am

@reimer they were missing fable (who is more important than their 2nd rounder carlito on east) in that game and salo (another strong east option) so i wouldn't put too much weight on the results of that game.

As for predictions I predict Mar Sara to make it to the finals as well but it will be very close and i think if any attendance (or lag) issues happen it can easily swing the other way. I wont say any of my predictions for the other side of the bracket cause i feel those teams are very inconsistent and could all potentially make it to the finals depending on how ready they are on the specific series days. Either way should be lots of very close and fun to watch series.
Last edited by stealthmeh on Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Marker
Battle.net Name: Marker
Battle.net Char Code: 164

Post by Marker » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:20 am

hwcubs2012 wrote:Certain rumors have risen that their stronger goalie (and their east goalie) Marker will not show up to any more games because of issues he has with the team.
Who do you think you are? TMZ? Well fuck you, you aren't TK Moose or Zach

On a side note, as a primary source I can neither confirm nor deny this.

PGP KEY

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BO0QBS9-l_SW03alNQMnF6Z0U/view?usp=sharing
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:00 am

Here comes marker to save the day. Too bad saving the day doesn't go towards save percentage
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
Cubs

Post by Cubs » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:08 am

Edited out false information

TeeKay
Legend