Teroh
Legend
Battle.net Name: Teroh
Battle.net Char Code: 773
Battle.net Server: NA

Season 6 Changes

Post by Teroh » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:25 am

Hey everyone,

As I mentioned during Reim Time, I'd like to be open with the community about changes for the upcoming season. I definitely know there are some thing that people would like to see; I've heard things like shorting the season from the current 18 games and the possibility of reinstating cocasters. I'm starting this thread to accumulate all of these ideas and see what we can come up with as a community to make the league better.

Please contribute! Nothing changes when nobody steps forward to propose ideas.
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: CN

Re: Season 6 Changes

Post by TeeKay » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:40 am

I'd strongly suggest keeping the 10 team format. The community continues to build and this needs to stay even just with NA players considered, let alone if 5-15 extra EUs bouy the numbers.

I'd like to have the 14 game season back. 18 is too many. I'd do that by have 2 conferences like season 1 where 3 of the 5 teams make it in. You play each conference team twice (2x4, since you can't play yourself) and 1 time versus the other conference (1x5). You could add playing one cross conference team twice to bring it to 14 (same home/away) or leave it at 13 and roll with that. Either way is better than 18.
Teroh
Legend
Battle.net Name: Teroh
Battle.net Char Code: 773

Post by Teroh » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:07 am

TeeKay wrote:I'd strongly suggest keeping the 10 team format. The community continues to build and this needs to stay even just with NA players considered, let alone if 5-15 extra EUs bouy the numbers.

I'd like to have the 14 game season back. 18 is too many. I'd do that by have 2 conferences like season 1 where 3 of the 5 teams make it in. You play each conference team twice (2x4, since you can't play yourself) and 1 time versus the other conference (1x5). You could add playing one cross conference team twice to bring it to 14 (same home/away) or leave it at 13 and roll with that. Either way is better than 18.
Number of teams, as always, is going to be heavily dependent on the number of signups. That being said, I don't see it changing drastically, and expansion to 12 teams would be spreading rosters way too thin with current league numbers.

I agree that the 18 week season was way too long. I'm not particularly a fan of uneven number of home/away games or playing specific teams more than others, with the exception of conference differences. (For example, I don't think it's fair to have one team having to play their conference x 2, + Korhal x 2 and all other cross-conference teams x 1, while another team plays their conference x 2, + Redstone x 2 and all other cross-conference teams x 1).
OptimusReim
Battle.net Name: Reimer
Battle.net Char Code: 367

Post by OptimusReim » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:11 pm

I agree less games is better. Have you considered times/days for when games are played?
Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by DerrocK » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:17 pm

The number of EU players might rise due to the big latency improvements but not in great numbers mostly due to times because they range between 1am to 5am. How many EU played regularly on NA in S5? McDoudles, Junky (had lag problems b4), Slide (post-midseason draft), gust maybe?, silentfate?, dalton?. Well, that's about it. Now this season there could be an increase but not by much
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz

Post by Tenkz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:57 pm

I don't like the idea of changing the schedule SOLELY because of home/away game importance. Several teams are strictly one-server (S5 Korhal, S5 TCT, S4 TCT), and having a home game against an east team, but an away game versus a west team would be unfair. The only option if we were to do that is to have people select which team is home/away against which team, which is also bad because it's subjective.

I don't think it's possible to shorten the schedule fairly, as teams should have a home game AND an away game versus all teams. Our current schedule is the least amount of games following this format.

The only solution would be to have both a home and away game on the same night, right after each other. This would also bring up complications because :
1. many players have a small window of time to get their ZHL game in, and then return to life (homework, dinner, etc.)
2. probe games would probably follow a similar format, causing ZHL nights to take TWO hours per matchup
3. sunday-4-games-night wouldn't work without taking up a ridiculous amount of time

Another option is to have pre-determined servers for matchups (schedule released before teams assigned their numbers), so like :
(before draft)
Week 1 Game 1 - #1 vs #2 (EAST)

However, this would also be terrible.

Basically, there is no solution.
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:13 pm

Tenkz wrote:I don't like the idea of changing the schedule SOLELY because of home/away game importance. Several teams are strictly one-server (S5 Korhal, S5 TCT, S4 TCT), and having a home game against an east team, but an away game versus a west team would be unfair.
I don't know if you've been playing recently... but servers almost don't matter anymore.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz

Post by Tenkz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:21 pm

They do for me... I have shiternet with several people using it at once, as well as a bad location to boot.
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:51 pm

Overview:
  • 2 games vs each in your division. 1 game vs each in the opposing conference. = 13 games
    Teams randomly placed into conferences. Announce which owners are in which conference two weeks before the draft.
    Placement decided by inter-conference record only first, then by points earned between the tied teams, then tiebreakers decided using overall record (including out of conference matchups).
Arguments against:
  • Some teams will have home advantage 3 times vs other conference while others will only have home advantage 2 times
Solution(s):
  • have a deeper roster
    win more conference games so there isn't a tiebreaker
Arguments against:
  • One conference is much stronger and the whole other conference is bad and therefore finals might suck.
Solution(s):
  • Unlikely, but shit happens. Can't do much to prevent that.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
JMoney
Battle.net Name:

Post by JMoney » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:56 pm

This has probably been brought up before, but is it an option to have every team play 2-3 back-to-back sets throughout the season? If the ZH day started 30 mins earlier, and ended 30 mins later, you could slot in an extra set a couple times every week, artificially shortening the season.

Most weeks would still be 2 games / 2 days, but there would be the occasional 3 games / 2 day weeks.

I recommend having this be a weekday only thing, but I imagine there will be some debate between;

7:30 EST Braxis vs Aiur
8:30 EST Shakuras vs Flyers
9:30 EST Braxis vs Reapers

and

7:30 EST Braxis vs Aiur
8:30 EST Braxis vs Reapers
9:30 EST Shakuras vs Flyers

I think caster fatigue was an issue before, but I think bringing back co-casters could help that.