J just announced his ownership of Aiur Storms S6 OP
wawmoose
Battle.net Name: WaWMoose
Battle.net Char Code: 1878
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Season 6 Changes

Post by wawmoose » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:06 pm

Assuming 10 teams; I'd recommend something very similar to S5:
2 conferences of 5 teams; play home and away vs same conference. 2 home and 2 away games vs 4 of the 5 teams in the other division.
I was very much against this very idea last season; looking back I think it was only plausible way to shorten season. Compacting too many games to one day will be disastrous imo.
System can't be perfectly equal; luck always plays a role and with this; it would determine some match-ups. NHL works in a similar way (you play different teams a different number of times based on division; server in ZHL = home stadium for NHL).

Please keep:
ZHPL game happening after ZHL game (1hour block for match-up).
No more than 4 match-ups on Sunday.
Most rules added DURING S5; especially the stuff about delaying game start time and bitchwalking.

Also; COCASTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yayy
RIP Flyers
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by Tenkz » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:13 pm

I think we're overlooking something.

18 Games = 9 weeks + 3 pre-draft + 3 playoffs
1.16666666 games/totalweek

12 Games = 6 weeks + 3 pre-draft + 3 playoffs
1 game / total week

Sure I'm excluding playoff games but that doesn't take away from my point. The shorter the season we have, more and more we will be lacking competitive play of some sort (zhl/zhpl).
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:23 am

I'm very curious to see what ZH will feel like with casters now. Played an east inhouse at 5pm with 2 bench players and 1 person on team 3, and it felt like a perfect west...

I really think the season needs to be shorter, and a conference system seems okay. Every real organized team sport has randomized cross-conference competition, like the poor NFL teams that have to go to Green Bay thanks to the RNG gods.

@Tenkz Both seasons would have the same density of games being played, with the shorter option implying that season 7 just starts that much sooner.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
stealthmeh
Battle.net Name: stealth
Battle.net Char Code: 522

Post by stealthmeh » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:18 am

I think we should consider having Central server only (Chicago) for Season 6.

1. J$ and Moose and Water and most west players I have asked have similar pings on both servers (usually only 30 ping difference max where east and EU players often having 100+ ping difference)
2. 70% of community or more is east and another good 10-15% are same ping both servers (kurt, rush, cerv, swift, etc)
3. Removes a lot of the issues with home and away and makes it so west isn't used as a lag weapon anymore even in east team vs east team match ups.
4. EU players would be able to play consistently growing our drafting pool and allowing us to go to maybe even 12 teams.

Also think if you guys want co-casters so bad why not consider casted replays and have the devs optimize the features for that. This would allow for co-casters, instant replays instead of highlights at end of the game, no down time between games, wider range of viable casters (xapos would be allowed to cast since its a replay and they arn't hurting anyone), as well as higher quality games since you wont have as much lag/pauses/ or constant posts.

Only argument against this really is spoilers but if the players that played the match grow up and keep the result to them self for 30-60 minutes instead of telling everyone the ending of the movie that they just saw at midnight release to all their friends like retards then we can minimize that; I feel the pros out weight the cons.

Blitz
Battle.net Name: Blitzerg
Battle.net Char Code: 713

Post by Blitz » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:41 am

Actually a lot of west players have better ms to Chicago than east players do. I have 65 me to Chicago and watermelon runs 55ms, he's west I'm east. I think it's fair as a whole to have the season on Chicago, it also mitigates the delay player value, which is interesting. But it's not fair to west players, and shouldn't be allowed. Stealth as much as I would love Chicago only (finally even playing grounds!) it's simply not fair to west people. As not all west players have 50 me to Chicago like the ones that play jhs a lot do. But it's a decent thought.

The only two links you ever need to click:
https://puu.sh/zFTwQ/57cfb6dd4f.png
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2556
stealthmeh
Battle.net Name: stealth
Battle.net Char Code: 522

Post by stealthmeh » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:54 am

Blitz wrote:Actually a lot of west players have better ms to Chicago than east players do. I have 65 me to Chicago and watermelon runs 55ms, he's west I'm east. I think it's fair as a whole to have the season on Chicago, it also mitigates the delay player value, which is interesting. But it's not fair to west players, and shouldn't be allowed. Stealth as much as I would love Chicago only (finally even playing grounds!) it's simply not fair to west people. As not all west players have 50 me to Chicago like the ones that play jhs a lot do. But it's a decent thought.
You will prob have 33 ping to both servers at the library there is no way you should ever have above 45 ping to Chicago if you are east player prob just your bad home internet (either that or you are central player and prob have lower ping than most to west which would make some sense since you have central time zone). If there are reports of any west players with good internet that have over 100 ping to Chicago Ill reconsider it being "fair" but from what I have heard so far west players suffer way less than east players ping variance wise.
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:35 am

stealthmeh wrote:I think we should consider having Central server only (Chicago) for Season 6.
It's still too early to assume there won't be any lag advantage for east players on east when a caster is present. Keep the home/away system, just shorten the season via conferences.
Blitz wrote:Stealth as much as I would love Chicago only (finally even playing grounds!) it's simply not fair to west people. As not all west players have 50 me to Chicago like the ones that play jhs a lot do. But it's a decent thought.
^This
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by DerrocK » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:27 am

stealthmeh wrote:I think we should consider having Central server only (Chicago) for Season 6.

4. EU players would be able to play consistently growing our drafting pool and allowing us to go to maybe even 12 teams.
I dont think this is the main reason for EU players not playing ZHL/ZHPL, like I mentioned before, I think it's mainly due to the match times that go from 1am to 5am for us. On the other hand the next EU DL could be gr8 with a lot of NA players because I'd say west players can play EU now, hell even I could play west yesterday with my xapos conexion. The chicago only server would certainly help and the delay reduction will help but I dont expect more than 10 new EU players coming on top of the EU that played last season (dont forget S5 was during summer which lead to more EU having free time and being able to stay awake until very late) so not sure if thats enough to get 12 teams
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz

Post by Tenkz » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:55 pm

I think East-only is pretty fair.. sort of.

There are quite a few west players who have better east pings than me.
Me :
East - 55
West - 100 (spikes often)

East is pretty central anyway.

But let's be real it'd be pretty unfair to west players who have to be anywhere from 40 (midwest) to 80 (west and bad internet) ping every game, whereas east players are almost always consistently under 60ms.