Season 6 Changes

ResSlayer
Battle.net Name: ResSlayer
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Season 6 Changes

Post by ResSlayer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:00 am

Position enforcement could be a nice rule. This wouldn't effect 99% of the players and help out the skaters that want to goalie but are scared they will be drafted too soon to be forced to skate. If someone wanted both options open to them in the season they could sign up as both skater and goalie and nothing would be changed, the owners would see that they are eligible to play both and draft accordingly. If someone only wanted to goalie they could signup only as a goalie and the owners would see they can ONLY play goalie and draft accordingly. (vice versa for only skater) It might seem like a trivial rule but I've talked to 2 people that told me they wanted to goalie a season but couldn't because they were forced to skate. Also provides a way for people to swap positions for a season without being accused of manipulating the draft system.
Blitz
Battle.net Name: Blitzerg
Battle.net Char Code: 713

Post by Blitz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:22 pm

ResSlayer wrote:Position enforcement could be a nice rule. This wouldn't effect 99% of the players and help out the skaters that want to goalie but are scared they will be drafted too soon to be forced to skate. If someone wanted both options open to them in the season they could sign up as both skater and goalie and nothing would be changed, the owners would see that they are eligible to play both and draft accordingly. If someone only wanted to goalie they could signup only as a goalie and the owners would see they can ONLY play goalie and draft accordingly. (vice versa for only skater) It might seem like a trivial rule but I've talked to 2 people that told me they wanted to goalie a season but couldn't because they were forced to skate. Also provides a way for people to swap positions for a season without being accused of manipulating the draft system.
I'm fine with this rule, but it needs to be tighter on the guidelines of the rule. Moose basically made the rule to where he can skate and then play goalie in the playoffs, which I don't think is acceptable. I like this rule and support it; however, if you sign up as goalie for a season, and get yourself drafted lower, you're not gonna fucking play your opposite (better role) in the playoffs. The rule needs to be that whatever position you sign up for, you are required to play that position for the entire season (playoffs are absolutely 100% included).

The only two links you ever need to click:
https://puu.sh/zFTwQ/57cfb6dd4f.png
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2556
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:30 pm

Blitz wrote:Moose basically made the rule to where he can skate and then play goalie in the playoffs, which I don't think is acceptable. I like this rule and support it; however, if you sign up as goalie for a season, and get yourself drafted lower, you're not gonna fucking play your opposite (better role) in the playoffs. The rule needs to be that whatever position you sign up for, you are required to play that position for the entire season (playoffs are absolutely 100% included).
There was no position rule in season 5.

It's too difficult to implement a rule like this for season 6. There are already 84 signups for ZHL. You would have to hunt down each and every one of these players (the majority of them don't look at the forums), explain the new position rule to them, and ask them to re-register. And since rules like this only get implemented via owners meetings, you couldn't start doing this until a week or two before the season starts. It just isn't realistic.

I tried to get a position rule in place for skaters who wanted to switch to goalie in Season 4, but (surprise!) the skaters who claimed they wanted to play goalie adamantly opposed my suggestion.. because they didn't actually want to play goalie. They were only trying to lower draft stock. The rule was basically that if you sign up as Goalie, you have to play at least _% of your games in net. This was to ensure owners that the player was committed to playing goalie, so he doesn't get drafted for his skating ability and is unable to feasibly goalie without ruining his team's chances (imagine me trying to switch to goalie, getting drafted top 3 because no one believes me, and then I goalie anyway. We'd be win-less and I'd have ruined the season for my team).
Last edited by Watermelon on Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Marker
Battle.net Name: Marker
Battle.net Char Code: 164

Post by Marker » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:57 pm

east 17
west 40's/50's

stay rekt

PGP KEY

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BO0QBS9-l_SW03alNQMnF6Z0U/view?usp=sharing
Teroh
Legend
Battle.net Name: Teroh
Battle.net Char Code: 773

Post by Teroh » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:41 pm

I don't like the idea of position locking players. A team with 2-3 goalies who all don't show up is screwed, unless we start building in all kinds of exceptions. Simple rules are much better than specific rules that will get picked apart by the Watermelons of the league and require mid-season patches.

A player that says they will goalie to tank their value (or vice versa) will only be hurting their team if they play the position they are worse at. I don't care if Bulb signs up at goalie, for example, because it's the owner's discretion to take him where he is truly valued as an overall player. Bulb, knowing his strength as a forward, would be foolish to hurt his team by refusing to skate. Ultimately, owners should be drafting players based on the impact they will have on the team - at any position.

This is annoying to players who are better at one position but want to play another for fun / probe reasons, but that reasoning has no place in a competitive league. Play whatever position in inhouse.. You're trying to win in league.
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Server: CN

"Opt In" Lock

Post by TeeKay » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:01 pm

Maybe we can create an "opt in" rule where certain players can "opt in" to be being locked to their weaker position voluntarily to be more fairly drafted at the position that they want to play at the expense of not being able to go back on that decision. It could help people like bulb who might want to goalie be drafted at a more appropriate spot for goalie (late 3rd) instead of having to skate if he's drafted mid 2nd.

I did support the old rule but I don't like that as a general rule anymore because people like assertive, ranch, moose, daggius, khsora, mlgbx, and others value is semi-tied to the fact that they are utility players. But a voluntary "opt in" procedure wouldn't hurt those players because they wouldn't be affected.
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249

Post by krazymen » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:14 pm

Teroh wrote:I don't like the idea of position locking players. A team with 2-3 goalies who all don't show up is screwed, unless we start building in all kinds of exceptions. Simple rules are much better than specific rules that will get picked apart by the Watermelons of the league and require mid-season patches.

A player that says they will goalie to tank their value (or vice versa) will only be hurting their team if they play the position they are worse at. I don't care if Bulb signs up at goalie, for example, because it's the owner's discretion to take him where he is truly valued as an overall player. Bulb, knowing his strength as a forward, would be foolish to hurt his team by refusing to skate. Ultimately, owners should be drafting players based on the impact they will have on the team - at any position.

This is annoying to players who are better at one position but want to play another for fun / probe reasons, but that reasoning has no place in a competitive league. Play whatever position in inhouse.. You're trying to win in league.
A team would not be screwed with the proposed rule.

People that want to play specifically one position would be locked in that position. People that doesnt want to be locked in a specific position will let the owners know by signing up as both skater and goalie. Fixed the issue of people wanting to play their weaker role without hurting their team and doesnt screw a team if their goalies doesnt show up since they can just put the dual role sign up in net. That being said, watermelon pointed out that it would be hard to implement for S6 since people already signed up having in mind that there would not be such rule.
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies
WacK
Battle.net Name:

Post by WacK » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:21 am

Teroh wrote: A player that says they will goalie to tank their value (or vice versa) will only be hurting their team if they play the position they are worse at. I don't care if Bulb signs up at goalie, for example, because it's the owner's discretion to take him where he is truly valued as an overall player.
QFT -- I think there should be more flexibility regarding positioning and less flexibility with players playing in both zhl and zhpl. Not that I think it's too big of a deal, but if we are attempting to emulate national sports and trying to add more teams (making rosters more deep) -- players should be limited on the number of times they can be moved "up" and "down" leagues within the season. So you can be "brought up" from probe but you can't play probe again until you are "moved down". This would be two league movements with maybe a limit of three throughout the season? This would replace the games counter we currently use and make the rules more dynamic as the number of games fluctuates season by season.

I believe this to be much more appropriate to competitive play and would like to hear everyones thoughts.
dp.
teenthighgap.com
Teroh
Legend
Battle.net Name: Teroh
Battle.net Char Code: 773

Re: "Opt In" Lock

Post by Teroh » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:35 am

TeeKay wrote:Maybe we can create an "opt in" rule where certain players can "opt in" to be being locked to their weaker position voluntarily to be more fairly drafted at the position that they want to play at the expense of not being able to go back on that decision. It could help people like bulb who might want to goalie be drafted at a more appropriate spot for goalie (late 3rd) instead of having to skate if he's drafted mid 2nd.
I could get behind a rule like that. Everyone would be free to play any position, unless you decide to lock yourself into a certain position. The biggest issue with this would be getting all the players to edit their signup to reflect this, if we add a column for lock-in.
wawmoose
Battle.net Name: WaWMoose
Battle.net Char Code: 1878

Post by wawmoose » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:55 am

There was no rules on position in season 5 blitz lol.. read rules pls; they're still up
I skated AND goalied in regular season; I told Vap I preferred skater but did whatever my team needed.
TBH I think it's an unnecessary rule; when you can simply talk to your owner about what position YOU want to play, and if he doesn't cooperate you can opt to not play for him.
What would happen to players like me who are willing to play a certain position in specific times (i.e. playoffs)?? I'd have to either be locked to the other position; or I'd have to to not opt in and....wait for it.....TALK TO MY OWNER about it anyway. Pointless rule imo, and unnecessary restriction on players.

EDIT: for upcoming season, if an owner does not cooperate with me, they can expect me to refuse to play some games. It's my only right as a player and I'm willing to use it. Didn't do it in S5 cuz Vap is mah nigguh.
RIP Flyers