Season 6 Changes

htcp
Battle.net Name: htcp
Battle.net Char Code: 332
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Season 6 Changes

Post by htcp » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:22 am

wawmoose wrote:
I'm gonna go ahead and predict that 0 players actually affected by role restrictions will use it then. I see 0 reason for anyone to restrict themselves when they don't have to lol.
I think it is more for players that are tired and unwilling to play their unwanted position and make a complete switch.
I'm not sure if this was the case now but I'm pretty sure at one point bulb legit wanted to switch to goalie. If he had the option to restrict himself to only goalie he guarantees that he will be drafted where his goalie value is, not where his potential skater value puts him.
wawmoose wrote: TBH I think it's an unnecessary rule; when you can simply talk to your owner about what position YOU want to play, and if he doesn't cooperate you can opt to not play for him.
Now you might argue that it is up to the owners to talk to players to make sure what the players intentions are, but there have been and will be bad owners, and bad owners will a ruin players, like bulb in the example, season. Players like bulb will be the nice guy in this situations and basically not ruin his team if he was over-drafted by 2-3 rounds because of an owners incompetence.
wawmoose wrote:What would happen to players like me who are willing to play a certain position in specific times (i.e. playoffs)?? I'd have to either be locked to the other position; or I'd have to to not opt in and....wait for it.....TALK TO MY OWNER about it anyway.
Easy solution, don't restrict yourself. The rule isn't you, this is for people that want to be sure that they never have to switch positions.

Anyways, whats the harm of putting in the the option to restrict yourself? An additional question on the registration form? A player misunderstanding of the rule? A player trolling on their form(probably the most serious problem).A player crying mid-season that they want their restriction reverted?
If 0 people use this option; then great the commish / owners / LM's don't have to deal with enforcing it during the season. If more than 0 people use it, great we made the league more enjoyable for those individuals and more balanced at the same time!
i'm tom
wawmoose
Battle.net Name: WaWMoose
Battle.net Char Code: 1878

Post by wawmoose » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:40 am

htcp wrote: Easy solution, don't restrict yourself. The rule isn't you, this is for people that want to be sure that they never have to switch positions.
Anyways, whats the harm of putting in the the option to restrict yourself? An additional question on the registration form? A player misunderstanding of the rule? A player trolling on their form(probably the most serious problem).A player crying mid-season that they want their restriction reverted?
Now tom is a man who knows how to make an argument, I still think it will go largely unused, but
htcp wrote: If 0 people use this option; then great the commish / owners / LM's don't have to deal with enforcing it during the season. If more than 0 people use it, great we made the league more enjoyable for those individuals and more balanced at the same time!
Sold me. +1 on the optional opt in thingy.
RIP Flyers
Teroh
Legend
Battle.net Name: Teroh
Battle.net Char Code: 773

Post by Teroh » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:22 am

Alright, seems like the biggest dissenter has been convinced. I'll be updating the signup sheet and posting a thread announcing the change. I don't foresee many people opting to lock-in, but it definitely helps to undermine players trying to tank their value by claiming they want to switch roles.
Kurt_58
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kurt
Battle.net Char Code: 638

Post by Kurt_58 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:33 am

V---Something like??---V

Original Rule:
-Any player interested in playing in the ZHL may register to be eligible for the draft pool by submitting the google form. It is assumed that any player who does not sign up through the google form is not interested in participating in the ZHL and will not be drafted nor signed as a free agent, at least until such time as they elect to submit the form.

Revised Rule:
-Any player interested in playing in the ZHL must register to be eligible for the draft pool by submitting the google form, located on the register tab of the website.
-During registration, players have the option to restrict themselves to one position, goalie or skater, on the registration form. In the event a position is declared, that player can only participate in ZHL games at the declared position.

I still want to go through the rules against and condense, reword certain sections that are a not in use or poorly worded. Gotta make is as simple as possible for ppl to read rules, cuz apparently that's hard :roll:
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: CN

Post by TeeKay » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:36 pm

wawmoose wrote:My entire point is, owners should talk to players like me who like switching roles, and assess their own situations. We had 0 problems with positions in season 5, don't fix it if it aint broke.

Final point -- it's tough to say there were no problems because we don't know if there were situations were top players might have wanted to switch positions but just absolutely couldn't because they'd still be drafted way too high.

Vap was drafted #9 overall as a goalie s4 (so he felt like he had to skate playoffs to have a chance). I was drafted 1st pick of round 3 as a skater s3 (so I felt like I had to goalie). (<-- fun fact alert drafted both of these picks lol)

This rule gives top players like Water, Proster, etc to at least have the option of switching without completely screwing over their team (because without it they would still get drafted top 5 and feel pressured into skating).
htcp
Battle.net Name: htcp
Battle.net Char Code: 332

Post by htcp » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Also, on implementation, I would suggest that the few skaters that are restricted are moved to a separate column or something of the draft sheets undrafted list. Also have whomever is running the draft remind confirm with the owners that they ARE drafting a restricted skater / goalie just so there is 100% misunderstandings.
i'm tom