Thoughts on implementation of the rounded rink.

htcp
Battle.net Name: htcp
Battle.net Char Code: 332
Battle.net Server: NA

Thoughts on implementation of the rounded rink.

Post by htcp » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:28 pm

I wanted to open up a discussion for everyone about potentially implementing the rounded week within the week into the main map for the ZHL. I'm going to start out by saying that I was highly skeptical that this rink would even be close to completed at all and even if it was completed there would be NO way we would implement it before the end of the season. However, after testing and playing a set of games on themusic's test map I felt the need to come here and say that I think it would be in our best interests to push out the rounded rink as soon as possible.

The rounded corners of the map are a fun and exciting addition to the game that I did not anticipate to be as interesting. They are very fun to use and learn how to do different bounce passes, roll the puck around the edge, and just mess around with in general. This type of puck movement is refreshing to see and I think is an excellent change of pace for zealot hockey. Themusic has done a fantastic job as implementing this and to be honest I was thoroughly surprised by how polished it already seemed. There are admittedly a few bugs where the puck does stop as it rolls along the edges but I've only witnessed it once in about 5 games, and there are quite possibly other bugs that themusic hasn't found yet. Overall I think that adding the map will freshen up the gameplay of zealot hockey and will definitely be will be received positively.

Now on the point of when to implement this change. I am of the opinion that we should implement this change as soon as our weekday set of games ends this upcoming week(thurs dec 31st, or fri jan 1st, or sat jan 2nd if the devs are busy on new years).
Now some of you have stated that it is a bad idea to put through these changes during the middle of the season and I fully understand where you are coming from. I, too, was against adding in any patches during the season but I've had a change of heart. We are at a near ideal time to add this patch in my opinion. First of all, we have just past the half way point of the season and are not in the midst of the playoffs yet so we will be able to adjust in time for playoffs. We would have 2 full weeks of regular season zealot hockey before our playoff series start and that should be plenty of time for people to be pretty comfortable with the new corners. Also, Our EU friends are about to start their own league and I know in the past they have felt ignored and it would be great to get this out in time for everyone over on EU.

I think one of the biggest problems of the past releases of patches is that we had little notification when they went live during the season (leeroy's rink size changes and name font changes). Right now we are in the position to let themusic with the help of the community decide when to put this into the live version. I feel like adding these patches is a good step in keeping zealot hockey alive and interesting. You see in other competitive games all the time where their developer puts in a patch midseason because it generally is good for the community for balance and freshening up the game. I think we are potentially limiting the development of the game by putting these restrictions on our devs (leeroy talked in interviews about feeling uneasy about adding stuff because of community backlash ). I've talked to themusic briefly and he has said that he should have the bugs sorted out before the aforementioned dates. However, if he doesn't feel like the patch is ready to be pushed out I do not want to pressure him to release an unready product.

So I want to hear your opinions about this. Tell me if you agree / disagree. If you have a counterpoint please say why you don't want this implemented. Themusic has said he won't put this in this season if we have mixed feelings about adding it so I'm here to try and at least get some discussion in the air so there might be a chance to get it through.

EDIT: TL;DR: Oval rink is fun is hell, add it ASAP.

Also if themusic can add a public test map so people can at least try this out that would be fantastic.
Last edited by htcp on Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
i'm tom
Teroh
Legend
Battle.net Name: Teroh
Battle.net Char Code: 773

Re: Thoughts on implementation of the rounded rink.

Post by Teroh » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:30 pm

Changing the size or shape of the rink is a significant change in the metagame of zealot hockey. This type of large scale change should only be between seasons.
htcp

Post by htcp » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:32 pm

@ lingking complaining about bitchwalking from the other post, bitchwalking might not be changed by this patch, it might make it better, it might make it worse. I still the driving force behind players isn't about bitchwalking being possible, its about if players want to bitchwalk and feel they won't be punished for their actions.

the test game you were playing and ragequit we were just testing out how corners felt. we weren't trying to showcase any bitchwalking at all. You might have rushed your judgement.
Last edited by htcp on Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
i'm tom
Marker
Battle.net Name: Marker
Battle.net Char Code: 164

Post by Marker » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:33 pm

Best teams are the teams that can change. It's not really "new," because it barley affects gameplay, only the implementation of gameplay (literally the definition of meta). Since meta is almost always changing its fair game to release this patch now. Merry Christmas! New Rink!

PGP KEY

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BO0QBS9-l_SW03alNQMnF6Z0U/view?usp=sharing
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by Tenkz » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:42 pm

I fully agree that this should be added this season.
htcp

Post by htcp » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:48 pm

Teroh wrote:Changing the size or shape of the rink is a significant change in the metagame of zealot hockey. This type of large scale change should only be between seasons.
We played multiple games without purposely going out of our way to use the corners and to be honest it played mostly the same. As I said in the first post it doesn't feel like it will uproot the current meta instantaneously as it does not change the core mechanics of zealot hockey. I did have a limited sample size of games so I might be wrong but that's why I would like a potential public test map.

Anyways, what is inherently wrong with changing the meta at this time? Teams would have time to adjust before playoff games and everyone will be on a level playing field for the whole duration of the season. Every team will have the same opportunities to adapt.
i'm tom
JMoney
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by JMoney » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:57 am

Every team is qualifying for playoffs on the same patch, I don't see any reason for holding off the rounded rink (as long as it doesnt have any game breaking bugs).

I think for this season in particular FA had more of an unfair impact on teams than any major patch would.
LinGuini
Battle.net Name: lingking
Battle.net Char Code: 166

Post by LinGuini » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:28 am

htcp wrote: the test game you were playing and ragequit we were just testing out how corners felt. we weren't trying to showcase any bitchwalking at all. You might have rushed your judgement.
yes i did ragequit. There are certain players that will abuse this. Fact is it's easy to abuse. It's a rounded rink, think about all the "icing" players can do using the corners. I apologize for being pesimistic but i am just being honest. It is still a great implimentation by music and might take time for some of us to adjust to.

I do not think it should be added this season.
Kholin
Battle.net Name: Kholin
Battle.net Char Code: 610

Post by Kholin » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:45 pm

I feel the need to point out that the effect this has on gameplay is being heavily understated. I wouldn't be against implementing this in this league season, but the new rink changes things tremendously, especially for goalies. I found many times when I was playing the new map that a pass would go to the corner, and I would react in the way I would before the new rink was in place. However, instead of the puck bouncing behind the net to be collected, it would bounce back towards the crease, completely fucking with my and my defense's response.
      • Dont worry, Im a Koalafied goalie
poopeybutt
Battle.net Name: cowsmoke
Battle.net Char Code: 1234
Battle.net Server: KR

Post by poopeybutt » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:33 pm

LinGKinG1 wrote:
htcp wrote: the test game you were playing and ragequit we were just testing out how corners felt. we weren't trying to showcase any bitchwalking at all. You might have rushed your judgement.
yes i did ragequit. There are certain players that will abuse this. Fact is it's easy to abuse. It's a rounded rink, think about all the "icing" players can do using the corners. I apologize for being pesimistic but i am just being honest. It is still a great implimentation by music and might take time for some of us to adjust to.

I do not think it should be added this season.
+1

all they have to do is hit one of the corners of the rink and it sends the puck up the sideline. very ez to bitchwalk
I might be on in a week or so...