Thoughts on implementation of the rounded rink.

LittleDicky
Battle.net Name: LittleDicky
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: EU

Re: Thoughts on implementation of the rounded rink.

Post by LittleDicky » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:29 am

Add the oval rink to EU only then. Bitchwalk isn't a problem here.
HALOUNSC
Battle.net Name: HALOUNSC
Battle.net Server: NA

Post by HALOUNSC » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:58 am

Agreeing with Kholin's statement. It's also effecting me with responses to wall passes, behind net passes, and clearing. Well developed concept, but still do testing. Only implement for ih's or pubs. League mode disable until end of season when you have enough data.
LittleDicky
Battle.net Name: LittleDicky
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by LittleDicky » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:25 pm

HALOUNSC wrote:Agreeing with Kholin's statement. It's also effecting me with responses to wall passes, behind net passes, and clearing. Well developed concept, but still do testing. Only implement for ih's or pubs. League mode disable until end of season when you have enough data.
It's the same new feature for both teams, both you and your enemy has to adapt. It's not very hard, just an oval rink not a rocket science man.
Things like people seeing more on higher resolution with better monitors with better refresh rate, higher response time, 10ms latency and mouses with macros are the things you could worry but not the simple stupid oval rink.
You don't even compete for money, just for fun and prestidge, what's the problem i don't get it.
daggius
Battle.net Name: daggius

Post by daggius » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:06 pm

Teroh wrote:Changing the size or shape of the rink is a significant change in the metagame of zealot hockey. This type of large scale change should only be between seasons.
havent tried the new patch yet, but regardless of its effects, we should not use it till next season like the wise commish has said!
Marker
Battle.net Name: Marker
Battle.net Char Code: 164

Post by Marker » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:56 pm

KholinGoal wrote:I feel the need to point out that the effect this has on gameplay is being heavily understated. I wouldn't be against implementing this in this league season, but the new rink changes things tremendously, especially for goalies. I found many times when I was playing the new map that a pass would go to the corner, and I would react in the way I would before the new rink was in place. However, instead of the puck bouncing behind the net to be collected, it would bounce back towards the crease, completely fucking with my and my defense's response.
While this may be a issue, I found that its easier as goalie to z out of net and go behind to clear it up the boards (like they do in real hockey). And for it to bounce back towards the crease requires you completely unaware and able to cut that off (considering your the closest person), and your defender to be completely ignoring the person. Maybe it's because I hate snipes and find crease shots easier, but I don't see this as a problem for goalies specifically. In fact its easier because I now have a safe way to dump the puck from behind the net (off the boards).

PGP KEY

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BO0QBS9-l_SW03alNQMnF6Z0U/view?usp=sharing
Blitz
Battle.net Name: Blitzerg
Battle.net Char Code: 713

Post by Blitz » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Oval rink opens the door to new meta, but any major game change should be implemented after this season of ZHL.

The only two links you ever need to click:
https://puu.sh/zFTwQ/57cfb6dd4f.png
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2556
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249

Post by krazymen » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:27 am

implement now, that way people will have something to bitch about for some time.
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies
themusic
Battle.net Name: themusic

Post by themusic » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:51 am

Alright well its in the game now accessible only in non-league mode. People can play it, but all must opt-in for it so no one will be forced to play it.

So let's continue to test it and iron out any bugs until it's perfect. After that point we can start figuring out how we roll it out into the game as a standard if we still think it changes things for the better.

Personal thoughts: I think bitchwalking could arguably be an issue with the rounded rink, but i don't think that should be a reason to hold back implementation of it. It's currently very easy to bitchwalk with non rounded corners. The corners were meant to add new meta at a small scale, not prevent bitchwalking (or any other "exploits" as some may call them). We should probably consider addressing this issue separately (as a parallel issue) if we think it's a big deal still.

Dem are my thoughts on implementation. Love, themusic
Vapour
Battle.net Name: Valour
Battle.net Char Code: 273

Post by Vapour » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:19 pm

I don't want to post any comments regarding the rink until I get home to test. Fantastic work ;) <3

Regarding posts about bitchwalk, I've always wanted to test puck carriers with a very slight speed reduction while allowing boost speed/momentum to remain the same. Similar to real skaters going in full sprint mode to pass the defenders. This way it forces more of a passing game to use your teammates, it increases the chances of defenders getting caught falling back by forward pressure.
HALOUNSC
Battle.net Name: HALOUNSC

Post by HALOUNSC » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:39 pm

LittleDicky wrote:
HALOUNSC wrote:Agreeing with Kholin's statement. It's also effecting me with responses to wall passes, behind net passes, and clearing. Well developed concept, but still do testing. Only implement for ih's or pubs. League mode disable until end of season when you have enough data.
It's the same new feature for both teams, both you and your enemy has to adapt. It's not very hard, just an oval rink not a rocket science man.
Things like people seeing more on higher resolution with better monitors with better refresh rate, higher response time, 10ms latency and mouses with macros are the things you could worry but not the simple stupid oval rink.
You don't even compete for money, just for fun and prestige, what's the problem i don't get it.
Fun and prestige become minor factors in a "competitive league..." Fun and prestige become major factors in a "non-competitive league..." Either way, the factors are still there, just varies based on the scenario.
"Just an oval rink and just get over it" is like saying god forbid if "1-timer and charge shots was removed so just get over it and adapt" or "net will be 3x smaller now, get over it and adapt" during a middle of a "competitive league" season.
Any minor or major change to a game can effect game play man. You're only focusing on "personal" variables like latency, resolution, and mouse macros. This change is focused on the "game play" dynamics/variables.
Now new things can emerge with oval rink such as new "geometry shots/passes" lol, clearing puck concepts, board passes, etc. Not everything will change of course in game play. However, just playing as goalie through half a "competitive season", focusing on variables/metas/play dynamics that have been with us for over 1 and 1/2 years, and suddenly have to adjust, change, or add more variables/metas/dynamics to the game, during middle of a season, is an "ugh really" imo. IMO, changes done before or after a "competitive season" or league mode. Non-league mode, where the more... "fun and prestige" factor comes in, yeah do whatever.