Season 9 Suggestions

Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Season 9 Suggestions

Post by Watermelon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:14 pm

50% home, 50% away. your team gets to play on their favorite server 50% of the time. no more forced central bullshit (which was only introduced to make the season shorter with "neutral" (not) cross conference games). this is the format that grew zhl from s2 to s6.

#TreatAllServersEqually

not enough goalies? lets see.. tinyterran, pinkamena, countryken.. were all top tier west goalies. at least 2 of them quit because of having to play so much central (have i mentioned central isn't neutral?) and so little west.

i'm sure east players can appreciate a 50-50 format as well.

server specific conferences are a bad idea, because it overcomplicates the system. 50/50 worked very well for the majority of ZHL's existence. remember: we changed it to make the season shorter, not to make the league "more fair" in terms of servers (because it isn't). bring back 50/50, and find another way to keep the season short.
Last edited by Watermelon on Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
carlito
Battle.net Name: Carlito
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by carlito » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:18 pm

West vs east only 5 central games on cross conference, only fair way to go
Bulbasaaur
Battle.net Name: Bulbasaaur
Battle.net Char Code: 615

Post by Bulbasaaur » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:20 pm

bring back CHL
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249

Post by krazymen » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:35 pm

50-50 wasn't working very well at all there was a lot more people complaining about servers. I have s3 and playoffs of s2 in mind S3 being by far the worst when it was combined with benched perhaps it might be different since the optimisation who knows

Very little people complained about chl tho which was 100% central
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies
stealthmeh
Battle.net Name: stealth
Battle.net Char Code: 522

Post by stealthmeh » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:52 pm

krazymen wrote:50-50 wasn't working very well at all there was a lot more people complaining about servers. I have s3 and playoffs of s2 in mind S3 being by far the worst when it was combined with benched perhaps it might be different since the optimisation who knows

Season 5 servers were already mostly optimized and ppl stopped complaining about west as much even before that when we got rid of benches in season 4. Only reason we switched to conferences was cause season 5 was way too long and lots of players schedules changed mid season making their team no longer as competitive (18 game regular season). The only way i can see us removing conferences is by going to 8 game format or removing probe league and doing 10-16 ZHL teams format. Currently probe league is pretty shitty but I figured its better to give it one more chance to be a legit league with 8, 8 format and then if probe is still awful after that we can try 10-16 ZHL teams with no probe following season (removing probe allows us to double up matches and do home/away series each time slot instead of ZHL/ZHPL each time slot).
Watermelon

Post by Watermelon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:08 pm

krazymen wrote:50-50 wasn't working very well at all there was a lot more people complaining about servers. I have s3 and playoffs of s2 in mind S3 being by far the worst when it was combined with benched perhaps it might be different since the optimisation who knows

no shit, why would someone sign up for a central only league and then complain about central? thats as redundant as saying "no one who went into starbucks complained about the smell of coffee". players knew what they were getting into when they signed up for chl, that doesn't mean it was fair.

s2 is not a good example to use for any server precedent, since most of it was permawest thanks to some weird blizzard shit. s3 had benches and unoptomized servers on blizzard's end. they've since fixed their shit and zhl doesn't use benches anymore.

there are 2 simple ways to get 50-50 back without lengthening the season, lowering team count, or removing zhpl:

1. more games per sitting (a team can play two in a row, like chl)
2. slightly differing team schedules (one team might play Shakuras once, another team plays Shakuras twice - it's not perfect balance but most if not all professional sports leagues use this format for scheduling purposes)
Last edited by Watermelon on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
wawmoose
Battle.net Name: WaWMoose
Battle.net Char Code: 1878

Post by wawmoose » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:10 pm

I've watched more probe games on stream than ZHL, and aside from a couple toxic games; which will always happen; what exactly is everyone seeing that is so bad about probe that I am not? - It's serving multiple purposes decently well at once, but not being perfect in any certain role -
I'm west (if I fix my shit but I'm too lazy); fuck west. Leave neutral central games alone. There are ~5 west players, improving the situation for them while making it worse for the other ~75 active players is a shit idea.

Aside from that, why so many changes suggested? This season has went very smoothly so far. Sure a couple rules could use some tweaking, but this was the least bad season overall, and by far the best managed season (TY Tom and LMs) I've been in on all accounts (S3-S8). Literally 0 major issues; just some hurt egos.
RIP Flyers
Watermelon

Post by Watermelon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:30 pm

wawmoose wrote: I'm west (if I fix my shit but I'm too lazy); fuck west. Leave neutral central games alone. There are ~5 west players, improving the situation for them while making it worse for the other ~75 active players is a shit idea.
so.. discriminating against (probably) 25-30% of potential new players in north america, and driving out top tier players like tinyterran, proster, pink, jmoney, countryken, and who knows who else? yes i wonder why there are fewer west players participating now.. it is truly mysterious.... have i mentioned central isn't neutral yet?

(last post, hope my point gets across to whoever is making the decisions. have a gr8 day everyone)
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
krazymen

Post by krazymen » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:49 pm

Watermelon wrote:

no shit, why would someone sign up for a central only league and then complain about central? thats as redundant as saying "no one who went into starbucks complained about the smell of coffee". players knew what they were getting into when they signed up for chl, that doesn't mean it was fair.
Doesnt have to sign up for chl to criticize its format before/after it happens. Didn't really happen tho.
Undefeated in 5v5
krazymen

Post by krazymen » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:56 pm

Im pretty sure there was always more central/east player since the dawn of zh and a lot of the top tier players you mentioned didn't leave because the game shifted to a more central heavy league but for other personal reasons. Either way I understand what you are saying. I get it that you dont think its fair. Idk how much that should be taken into account vs % of people liking the league experience since its such a small community. But then again you could say that its like that only because west players are in a bad position to begin with. As far as I know this change is not a major change anyways, this is the kind of thing that will end up being decided by how long you want a season to be a this point. Deciding whether to scrap probe or change the number of teams is a much higher priority and then the server thing can follow up pretty easily depending on the decisions taken.
Undefeated in 5v5