Official Rounded Rink Thread

Post suggestions you have here that relate to the game's mechanics
themusic
Battle.net Name: themusic
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: NA

Official Rounded Rink Thread

Post by themusic » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:01 pm

Some people give rounded rink salt, others have wanted it for a very long time. Id like to get everyones temperature on the subject. It will require a lot of time and testing.

1. Why do you want or not want rounded rink (pros, cons)

2. If this is in the game and perfected, would it be the new standard or a vote option in pubs?

Just to clarify, id assume if we went ahead with this it would be a hidden game mode you can vote to toggle on for intense testing. It would not be officially in the game until its bug free and community approved. It would also not be in league mode until season ends.

Love, themusic
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz

Re: Official Rounded Rink Thread

Post by Tenkz » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:19 pm

I don't think it's necessary to have a rounded rink, honestly. I think added the rounded rink would 1. Make it easier to safely stall time (puck spends more time along the boards), and 2. Makes it harder to do behind-enemy-net passes and/or self passes near a corner (though nobody does either of these anyway, I feel like the former could hold a place in soon meta).

tl;dr Rounded rink isn't worth it and isn't necessary.
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:29 pm

the only thing I think might be cool is chamfered corners. Otherwise I agree with tenkz. Picking up pucks near walls can already be a tad bit awkward even with straight edges.

1. Pros of chamfered edges:
  • more passing angles to and from behind the net.
    No 90 degree angles for troll spamming into corners
Cons of chamfered edges: I don't know of any.

2. If this was implemented, I would want it to be the new standard.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
Blitz
Battle.net Name: Blitzerg
Battle.net Char Code: 713

Post by Blitz » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:31 pm

l)arkangel wrote:the only thing I think might be cool is chamfered corners. Otherwise I agree with tenkz. Picking up pucks near walls can already be a tad bit awkward even with straight edges.

1. Pros of chamfered edges:
  • more passing angles to and from behind the net.
    No 90 degree angles for troll spamming into corners
Cons of chamfered edges: I don't know of any.

2. If this was implemented, I would want it to be the new standard.
Pool table... Goal in corner pocket

The only two links you ever need to click:
https://puu.sh/zFTwQ/57cfb6dd4f.png
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2556
themusic

Post by themusic » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Current score:

Rounded rink: 0
No rounded rink: 2

Keep in mind that the space behind net would be reduced, which may actually help prevent bitchwalking rather than support it.
Rigensis
Battle.net Name: Rigensis
Battle.net Char Code: 955
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by Rigensis » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:58 pm

1) Pros :
Hockey arena for hockey. Immersion.
Cool tricks with passing.
The end of oval rink salt.

Cons :
Developing it would take big chunk of your valuable time.

2) New standard.
Kurt_58
Legend
Battle.net Name: Kurt
Battle.net Char Code: 638

Post by Kurt_58 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:21 pm

I think having curved edges would be a great idea but I'm not sure that it would be worth the time.

Good:
1. More realistic to hockey. In hockey all the time people are using the curved edges to make passes.
2. Tighter play makes it harder to bitch walk in theory.
3. Legit strategy of Dump and Chase could actually be feasible. I'm not a hockey expert so you would have to ask someone to actually plays hockey to explain it, but the idea is that if you have no chance of getting near the net before being stolen, just dump the puck into the corner and let it wrap around to the other side to let your support catch up.

Bad:
1. Ton of time to develop. Might be better suited fixing bugs, polishing things, and adding small features.
2. Big impact on game performance (I assume). I can't think of a way that you can make this accurate enough to meet the requirements of the request that wouldn't need tons of collision detection and trigger calculations.
daggius
Battle.net Name: daggius

Post by daggius » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:06 am

1. Why do you want or not want rounded rink (pros, cons)

I want it because hockey rinks are rounded and its hockey
I don't want it because I fear change and like the map the way it is and am always afraid of a new terrible leeroy patch that somehow breaks everything and makes no sense

2. If this is in the game and perfected, would it be the new standard or a vote option in pubs?

New standard

If done right it won't impact gameplay very much (corners are not currently that relevant) and looks more professional, so no reason to not make it standard
but obviously this decision is best made after rigorous testing

I also think that a good implementation of this could be used to make it more difficult to bitchwalk. I.E. you could kill 2 birds with one stone here. It is a commonly suspected idea that by reducing the space behind the net it would be harder to bitchwalk. thus, by keeping the length and width of arena the same, but by adding chamfers or radii to the corners, u have reduced this space slightly.
themusic

Post by themusic » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:21 pm

I have actually started rounded rink already a few months back, i was able to turn on and off conditions based on the puck/skater proximity to the corner, so in theory there would not be any significant checks to do (latency should not be affected).

Id be concerned about ease of picking up a puck thats wrapping too, but i think we can make this better by changing stuff like the amount of elasticity or bounciness of a skater that hits the rounded walls.
Vapour
Battle.net Name: Valour
Battle.net Char Code: 273

Post by Vapour » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:05 pm

Legit oval rink would most definitely promote more board passes from the corners and create viable dump and chase plays.
Please don't feel pressured if it takes away focus from other priorities. Regardless I'm thrilled you created an open discussion.

If there's some way to propose the work required. Perhaps we can all chip in to help with the problem set. (if I can help in some way feel free to ask).

Also I'm curious to how the game pace would change if rink's width were also shorten to promote more effective board plays.
I find there's too much space for 3 skaters to cover so defense generally opt to cut guys off by the net.