Shot Clock

Post suggestions you have here that relate to the game's mechanics
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Shot Clock

Post by Watermelon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:24 pm

JMoney wrote: -IMO a team losing possession completely for not being able to generate a scoring chance is a bit extreme. An alternative would be a system where if you run out the shot clock, a faceoff is called and you have 30% or 50% less time to generate a shot. If you can't make a shot in that time, then it should default to the opposing team getting a "free" possession.

-Would score effects (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 44781.html - the first & second groups of paragraphs are most relevant) be mostly dead with a shot clock?
I disagree with it being extreme. The team would have plenty of time to score.

And no, it wouldn't remove the change in strategy that comes with having a lead. There are many ways to get shots in ZH. When you have the lead, you can focus on taking snipes, or only committing 1 player to the most forward position at a time (2 players conserving boosts, being more prepared to play defense).

Like I said in the original post, most of the plays we see now would probably continue to exist with a shot clock, looking strictly at how long on average our possessions are.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:57 pm

I'll be honest, I didn't read this whole thread. I like what a shot clock tries to promote (a quick paced gameplay without many lulls in action), but I'm not sure if its the best way to go about it. If a team really wants to hold the puck, they will hold the puck. Albeit, a shot clock now limits the duration they can do that to 30 seconds, but I think it might throw more complications that are necessary to resolve a relatively seldom seen issue.

I think it could be better to tweak basic mechanics like acceleration (slower), max speed (higher), RINK SIZE (smaller) to try and accomplish this. Smaller rink size obviously makes avoiding the other team harder. A slower acceleration and/or higher max speed would put more focus on overall momentum and these things would make defense AND bitchwalking harder. IDK I'm at work and shift is over so ending this here.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249

Post by krazymen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:38 pm

hwcubs2012 wrote:Originally, I was against adding a shot clock, but given the data provided I can't see anything wrong with it. The only point I might raise are if you found 27 seconds to be the maximum possession length while 9.5 was the average, I would say 30 might be a bit too much, perhaps something along the lines of 25 or even 20 seconds might be more reasonable. Otherwise, great post, think shot clock is A1 idea.

+1 I agree with cubs, however it might require more data to make the timer as good as possible or we could just roll with a time and get the feel similar to shootouts.

Also great job, looks like this took a lot of free time to do. W

hether you agree or not about the shot clock you cant deny that a lot of effort was put into this idea and isnt simply a bandaid.
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies
LittleDicky
Battle.net Name: LittleDicky
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by LittleDicky » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:58 am

l)arkangel wrote:I think it could be better to tweak basic mechanics like acceleration (slower), max speed (higher), RINK SIZE (smaller) to try and accomplish this. Smaller rink size obviously makes avoiding the other team harder. A slower acceleration and/or higher max speed would put more focus on overall momentum and these things would make defense AND bitchwalking harder. IDK I'm at work and shift is over so ending this here.
No offense, but -100.

I vote for temporary adding shot clock to "normal mode" and seeing how it fares, eventually modifying the 30s time as needed. No team should take full minute to make a one play imo.
Rigensis
Battle.net Name: Rigensis
Battle.net Char Code: 955

Post by Rigensis » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:24 am

JMoney wrote: -IMO a team losing possession completely for not being able to generate a scoring chance is a bit extreme. An alternative would be a system where if you run out the shot clock, a faceoff is called and you have 30% or 50% less time to generate a shot. If you can't make a shot in that time, then it should default to the opposing team getting a "free" possession.
That is how they do it in handball.
UPD If referee sees that an attacking team is not making real attempt to make a shot he gives warning (without stoppage of time) and then if an offensive team does not produce attack in 5 s (not sure if that is the exact time) they need to put ball down on ground and the other team starts attack.
Rigensis

Post by Rigensis » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:06 am

Comments about facts:
MLB introduced pitch clock this season - http://m.mlb.com/news/article/106474738 ... a-triple-a
In football (or as you guys wrongly call it - soccer) bitchwalking is not considered wasting of time.
Zealots don't get tired, but players who control do.
That NHL video has more to it than just bitchwalking - one team didn`t do anything to get the puck and other did not start an attack. Why would the latter be punished not the first?
Rigensis

Post by Rigensis » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:01 am

fancypants wrote:I think it would be better to implement a system similar to lacrosse. If you're not familiar, once your team gets possession in your defensive zone you have 20 seconds to bring it across the midfield line. At that point the ball must enter 'the box' (the center of the attacking zone) once every 10 seconds.
+1 to this.
7 seconds to cross mid-field-line? Face-off next to the team`s net if they enter puck in their zone after those 7 seconds run out?

Tho that still would be just a half solution - the problem with bitchwalking is not the fact one team does it, but the fact that the other team can't do anything about it.
The ideal way to fix it would be change the parametrs of various aspects of game to make sure that other team has fair chance to challenge the bitchwalking team in their side of field. (e.g. player with puck moves slower-cant use boost, players can't move through other players, smaller field size, 6v6 teams, and other game's mechanics tweaks).

But what it would do is bring puck closer to other team and would reduce the field in which the puck can be thus giving more chances to team without puck to challenge the one with it. Personally, I don't think that there are ways how to completely safely bitchwalk in offensive zone, but I guess some test would be needed.

To mention handball again - they have shot clock but they have a good reason for it - the way handball is played - if a team fails do to a quick counter attack then they are faced against huge wall of bitchdefenders, who are forced to be in that bitchwall since that is the best way (only way?) to defend in handball.

Tho 30 secs shot clock is fine, i guess. Tho I would be afraid that after it is introduced the time would be reduced in future. You know what they say - give devil your little finger, he will take whole arm. Kappa.
Rigensis

Post by Rigensis » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:08 am

LittleDicky wrote:No team should take full minute to make a one play imo.
No team should be able to comfortably control puck for full minute. Make team without a puck great again. Don't directly penalize team which can handle the puck well. It is sport, not circus Kappa.
LittleDicky
Battle.net Name: LittleDicky

Post by LittleDicky » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:52 am

Rigensis wrote:
LittleDicky wrote:No team should take full minute to make a one play imo.
No team should be able to comfortably control puck for full minute. Make team without a puck great again. Don't directly penalize team which can handle the puck well. It is sport, not circus Kappa.
I read first half of this post as sarcasm.
1 Minute without making a shot attempt, what is this a chess competition? I am looking forward to check the shot timer in game.
hatestabkill
Battle.net Name: hatestabkill

Post by hatestabkill » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:52 am

30 seconds per shot (at a bare minimum) would be 8 shots per period, or 12 shots per team per game. Sounds pretty normal to me.

In section B, I don't believe the puck should reset to the goalie if neither team has possession at the end of the shot clock. That scenario is not defined. I would say if the defensive team gets there first, play on, and if the offensive team gets there first, only then is the penalty called, kind of like how offsides is handled in soccer.

Btw this is not going to prevent bitchwalking, it's just going to limit it to 30 second intervals. Honestly I'm okay with this though, as I believe teams should be playing cautiously and defensively to protect 3rd period leads, while the trailing team should be obligated to chase the puck around a bit as punishment for falling behind. The losing team is still guaranteed a few possessions but basically I see the shot clock meta being the winning team holding the puck for 25 seconds then icing it for the entire 3rd period, and willingly enduring a few defensive stands in between.