Powerplay Feedback

Post suggestions you have here that relate to the game's mechanics
maha
Battle.net Name: maharishi
Battle.net Char Code: 576
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Powerplay Feedback

Post by maha » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Lime wrote:Thanks for agreeing that it creates more options and scoring opportunity's. and as i rephrased "A free opportunity to get an advantage in the following attack"
I wouldn't really say it's a free opportunity either. The team still has to be coordinated enough to know when it's safe to use powerplay, and then be aware enough to not get yolod or make errant pass to lose possession. There is a risk in using powerplay because if you waste it then you have to wait for the cooldown to reset. Even though powerplay is an opportunity, the opposing team can still stop the powerplay in its tracks simply by causing a turnover, so it really isn't this super significant advantage imo.
"This is the most absurd piece of garbage that can't even be applied to the actual league. Great job embarrassing yourselves."
Bulbasaaur
Battle.net Name: Bulbasaaur
Battle.net Char Code: 615

Post by Bulbasaaur » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:10 am

Marker wrote:
Bulbasaaur wrote:hey ill lock goalie if u give me instant stop
ya know theres a -stop command right?
not anymore
stealthmeh
Battle.net Name: stealth
Battle.net Char Code: 522

Post by stealthmeh » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:15 pm

@meepo
for the amount of games that are random goalie in IH/Pubs and the fact that almost all goalies want to skate more than goalie I think this will just increase the # of people willing to goalie (since they can also skate a good % of the game and wont have as much down time). Increasing the # of people willing to goalie is great for the game, I personally hate random goalie a lot but with this mechanic i dont mind it as much and even sometimes opt in since I get to skate good amount and its not throwing off chem of skaters as much as random goalie does. As for competitive scene it gives teams the option to not draft a goalie if no solid ones are remaining and even allow us to expand to more teams safely (since again more people will be willing to goalie now that it is more of a part time job).
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:46 am

I sux at skatur. Pls no
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
Meepomart
Battle.net Name: Meepomart
Battle.net Char Code: 550

Post by Meepomart » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:15 pm

@stealth
Powerplay in pubs is going to lead to players opting into goalie just to use the powerplay with reckless abandon, while nobody on their team, including them, is aware of how to play defense. e.g. *insert pub player* powerplays immediately after giving a bad outlet, doesnt realize the other team has recieved the puck, and they score. Rinse and repeat until mercy or 10-10 score, since it could be happening on the other side too. That's just one example of how easy it is to give free goals by using powerplay without good awareness, but there's so many possible ways I just origibally used an umbrella term, shenanigans.

Powerplay doesn't increase the number of goalies; 66.7% of the game goalies should be skating. In competitive play, this leads to high level skaters taking up goalie to take full advantage of powerplay. To illustrate this, let's look at ElTaco, Eldersage, and SidtheKid who have focused almost entirely on playing goalie. Currently, all these players are valued at ZHL or nearly ZHL level, despite the fact that their skating value is arguably below starting ZHL level. With powerplay added, drafting these goalies means losing out on the powerplay advantage because your goalie doesn't have the skating ability to do anything significant with it. Powerplay throws goalie mains under the bus - all the time they spent mastering goalie is now only 1/3 as valuable as before, tanking their value below competitive levels.

I almost feel as though powerplay can be imagined as a band-aid, where themusic thought, "Everyone only wants to play skater, so let's just turn the goalie into another skater." (nothing personal, you're a great friend :D) I know some people might think this solves the "no goalies" issue but to me this is just a few steps away from removing goalie from the game - along with all the players that main goalie. Yes, it increases the number of goalies but it's artificial. There will be no goalie mains. Powerplay doesn't add depth to goalkeeping, it asks goalies to be skater mains that have learned a thing or two about goalkeeping. Fuck goalies, it's time for skating league.
GozaEatsAss
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by GozaEatsAss » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:47 pm

This Mode Sux
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi twodeuce
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
TwoDeuce
Battle.net Name: TwoDeuce
Battle.net Char Code: 616

Post by TwoDeuce » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi I)arkangel?
themusic
Battle.net Name: themusic
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by themusic » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:13 am

Whatsup, thanks everyone for giving their feedback it helps a ton. Here are my thoughts on it all:

Powerplay mechanic: It is very fun to play and has pretty cool dynamics, but ultimately it wasn't the desired outcome. Here are the current set of changes i'd like to test next:

1. When the puck leaves the crease after a save (whether goalie has possession or passes out) a timer starts in which the team must cross the mid rink line. Failure to do so will trigger a faceoff at that teams end of the rink with the enemy teams goalie as a skater. This creates a powerplay for that team. If the puck crosses half rink the goalie automatically recalls back. The goalie can also manually recall. If the enemy team gains possession the timer stops.
2. Same as #1 but applies to a skater stealing or picking up possession on your side of the rink. The same timer starts. If the enemy team gains possession the timer stops.
3. Puck possession slows movement speed by 10%
4. Boost cooldown recuded by 1 second
5. Make boost steal visual on the boosting unit for the small period in which the steal can actually occur so it's obvious for both teams
6. Make the ability to block or steal a onetimer from an ally or enemy only possible if you are in a cone aoe in front of the shooting direction of the onetimer
7. If a team is down with under a minute, the powerplay ability is given to the goalie with a one-time use.

Separate from this, we're still working another ability for the goalie to use during normal gameplay to test. The changes listed above are to increase the pace of the game and remove mechanics which do not contribute to fairness and awesomeness.

PS: let me know if we still want this as a game mode for when no goalies are in an IH, because it's super fun when no one wants to goalie otherwise :3

Let me know your thoughts

Love, themusic
LoOgiK
Battle.net Name: BlackPhilou
Battle.net Char Code: 2169
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by LoOgiK » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:56 pm

idm but pls fix skins lul
EUDL4 winner #10-0
1st best forum spammer
ZHCL 8 9 Winner