How To: Stop Being A 'Pub' ("Literally Mammoth Wall")

Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: NA

How To: Stop Being A 'Pub' ("Literally Mammoth Wall")

Post by Tenkz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:04 pm

In the case of all who may be reading this, a 'Pub' is a player who severely lacks skill. The other case being that a 'Pub' is a troll, however a troll would not be

a. reading this guide

b. in the community

Moving on..

This guide aims to pull readers out of the 'pub tier'.

While I may not be the most fit player to write a guide, I believe I would, at the very least, be suited to write a guide for the lowest level of play.

The order of the steps is not important, unless specifically listed.

Table Of Contents

1. Understanding Zealot Hockey

a) Game Mechanics

b) An Introduction To Meta

2. Playing At A Competitive Level

a) Reactions and Latency

b) Learning Role Rotation

c) Improving Your Offensive Capabilities

d) Improving Your Defense

e) Basic Goaltending

f) Improper Playstyles

3. Becoming A Known Player

a) Getting Involved

b) Probe League

c) Inhouse Games

4. Abbreviations And Credits

1. Understanding Zealot Hockey

The most important factor in excelling at something, is knowing your subject.

a) Game Mechanics

The game mechanics inside Zealot Hockey are the most important thing to learn in order to begin improving. This is especially important if you are an innovative or intelligent player.

-Stealing

Stealing the puck is arguably the most important mechanic of ZH. Stealing the puck may come easy to you against less skilled players, however it may be one of the hardest things to do against top tier players. To steal the puck, you simply left click when the blade (see image below) of your stick is near the puck.

-Shooting/Passing

To hit the puck away from your stick, just press, once again, the left mouse button while having possession of the puck. If you hold down the LMB, your shot/pass will be charged and will release with greater power. Also, the farther away your cursor is from your zealot, the faster the shot/pass will be. This is an important, though uncommonly used, mechanic in the lower tier of players.

-Receiving

To pick up an idle puck, the blade of your stick must be relatively close to the puck. In some cases, a miracle catch may happen (as seen in my signature). An important thing to note for lower tier players is that you may spin to catch a pass behind you without losing much momentum.

b) An Introduction To Meta

Metagame is an important thing in most Player vs Player video games. It is what influences the playstyles of most top players, and is an important factor in high level games.

In Zealot Hockey, Meta can be somewhat accurately described as any of the following:

a. Shooting directly at the goalie's stick.

b. Sitting on the crease as a defender

c. Double One Timers

All are commonly seen in games of all levels, though some may be harder to perform effectively. Regardless, they are all great techniques.

2. Playing At A Competitive Level

Though I may not have the experience nor the skill to be considered an expert on this subject, there are certainly some obvious tips that can be applied to any new player.

a. Reactions And Latency

One deciding factor in your maximum potential is your latency. This is how much delay there is before any order you send to your zealot (or immortal) takes place. Latency goes hand in hand with the player's reaction speed.

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

This site is an excellent method of determining your average reaction time. The average reaction speed tends to be between 200ms and 300ms. Luckily, you do not need an unreal reaction time to succeed at this game, as anything below 500ms will suffice in making you an acceptable player. Your reaction speeds and the effectiveness of each reaction should improve with experience. There are few proven ways to drastically improve your reaction time, so don't sweat it.

b. Learning Role Rotation

Here is an aspect of the game that still many players do not frequently use. Role rotation. Role rotation is the event of switching from being offensively positioned to being properly positioned defensively. If your teammate, has the puck and is skating toward the enemy net, and another teammate is closer to their net than you are, there is no sense in leaving the defense to support your team on offense. If he does pass to you, it is assumed that he, or the other player, will rotate back to defend for your plentiful offense consisting of only two zealots. This method is not employed by all teams or players, though it is one of the most effective rotations.

c. Improving Your Offense

Offense is a very important subject in Zealot Hockey. Main things to consider are Shooting, Passing, and Handling.

Shooting: Your ability to put the puck inside the enemy net.

Passing: Your ability to get the puck to a teammate.

Handling: Your ability to skate without losing the puck to the other team.

Why is it labeled Shooting and not Scoring? This is because many teams are able to score simply by having a pass oriented playstyle. A common philosophy is that scoring is more reflective off of a team's ability to pass than to shoot. While shooting is extremely important, passing reduces your need to handle the puck, as the puck will always be headed toward a better positioned teammate.

Two abilities are of great assistance offensively. My presumption is that, while both abilities are excellent in any situation, Boost is more commonly used for drive-based offenses, or deterministic finishers (dubbed Carries). On the other hand, 1T is more common for pass-based offenses.

Boost (labeled Check): Your Z/Q hotkey, which launches your character forward based off of their current momentum. This is great for getting into better position to shoot or pass.

One Timer (dubbed 1T): Your C/E hotkey. 1T is active for 3 seconds when used, and has a cooldown of 10 seconds. This ability causes the puck, when thrown into your stick, to be shot immediately, with speed based off both the current speed of the puck and your cursor distance from your zealot. This ability is great versus goalies with weak reaction times. There are two things to note when using this ability. First of all, I have heard a rumor that using this ability increases your pickup range by a slight amount. Second, aim is more important than power when shooting the 1T, while power is extremely important when passing to a player with 1T enabled.

d. Improving Your Defense

Defense is an aspect of Zealot Hockey which is completely dependent on the enemy team. To put it simply, it is your ability to keep your stick in the way of shot angles or pass angles. When defending, it is important to stay closer to your net than the other team's skaters are. When defending either the shooter or the support, make sure to be aware of their Boost. If they Boost in front of you, it is an extremely difficult situation for the goaltender, while it could also be an advantageous situation offensively, if you are able to make the steal. Most importantly, do not use your Boost toward the enemy net. Your Boost should always, when used defensively, be aimed toward your own net, to prevent your skater from becoming badly positioned.

e. Basic Goaltending

Though I am not a main-role goalie, there are quite a few basic things that many lower tier goalies neglect. This section will be more of a list rather than a paragraph.

a. Block The Corners! (When the skater is far or on the top/bottom of the net.)

As one of the top goalies, Crush, once told me, always keep your stick edge on the post you are covering. This is important to block snipes, as your forcefield should stop any other angles, and if necessary, you will have time to boost.

b. Block The Straight Angle! (This is actually uncommon)

Something I have learned from goaltending shortly in this, and majorly in other games, is that the straight shot is much harder to stop. This is because the straight shot takes less time to reach the net, and is also the easiest for the shooter. Few players will miss the net when shooting at a straight angle, while many are unable to make a diagonal shot. By blocking the straight shot, you provide yourself a considerable amount of time to react to any other angle, and also increases the shooter's chance of missing.

c. Do Not Panic! (This is for you, Kaga)

Under no circumstances should you Boost before the enemy has released the puck. This puts you out of position, while giving the skater an obvious angle to shoot at. Your 'Panic' ability is your forcefield, which is a relatively forgiving ability except that you cannot move for 2 seconds. After the forcefield is deployed, your next go-to ability is the Boost.

d. Practice Stick-Only

Eldersage actually taught me this method of practice, where in pubs and easy games, we would play without using forcefield, and only using Boost if it is not preemptive. This technique greatly increases your ability to react to shots, and also allows you to make saves when both of your abilities are on cooldown. Thanks elder!

f. Improper Playstyles

As a 'Pub', you should not be goal-oriented. Your first job is to become good at passing, then defending. Once you are respectable at both of those aspects, you should focus on your ability to create goals by yourself. This should not be at the expense of your passing and defense, however.

A great way to start playing and start improving (as recommended by Watermelon), is to play only defense when you find yourself lacking offensively. During this period, you are helping your team greatly by only defending, and also you get to watch other players command an offense. After your slump, you should find yourself being better than ever, now stronger at both defense (practice), and offense (learning from better players).

3. Becoming A Known Player

The next step is to earn yourself some fame.

a) Getting Involved

If you have not already, join the Zealot Hockey group. This is important in exposing yourself to better, more experienced players. The community is extremely friendly and helpful, which should not hinder your growth as a player, but instead increase the rate of improvement by a great amount.

b) Probe League

Probe League is a great place for newer players to show off their skills. As it is streamed for the entire community, everyone, including next season's owners, will be able to see your ability to play, as well as your dedication to your team. As a participant, you will be exposed to the many skillful players in this league, while also having an entire team of ZHL caliber players to communicate with.

c) Inhouse Games

Inhouse Games (dubbed IHs or Inhouses) are where better players are able to play without you, Pub. However, in the quest to no longer be a 'Pub', this is an important step in your improvement, one which exposes you a next level of players. Most participants of IHs are between the middle and the highest tier, with few bad players inside. This provides you with a whopping SEVEN players to learn from, EACH game. If you haven't already, it is a good time to begin talking to better players, and even asking them to allow you to participate in IHs.

4. Abbreviations/Credits

I enjoyed writing this, though unfortunately it has to come to an end. Listed below are all of the abbreviations used in this guide, as well as a few common abbreviations you may need. Also, a small list of the people who I have learned from or used their ideas in this guide.

IH - Inhouse Game

ZH - Zealot Hockey

ZHL - Zealot Hockey League

ZHPL - Zealot Hockey Probe League

BM - Bad Manners

1 - A phrase typed into the ZH Group chat, which tells the host of an IH that you would like to be invited.

CREDITS

Watermelon - First of all, thanks for all of the coaching. Learning from one of the best inspired me to attempt to help others (by making this guide). Also, the method of playing strictly defense.

Eldersage - Taught me a few game mechanics, assisted with my growth as a goaltender, and taught me the stick-only method of practicing.

TK - Taught me a few tricks about goaltending which may have been subtly sprinkled into this guide.
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Server: CN

Re: How To: Stop Being A 'Pub' ("Literally Mammoth Wall")

Post by TeeKay » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Tenkz wrote: 4. Abbreviations/Credits
Tenkz wrote: TK - Taught me a few tricks about goaltending which may have been subtly sprinkled into this guide.
RIP you explained all abbreviations except TK. WTF does that mean? I'm assuming TreeKat?
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz

Post by Tenkz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:01 pm

TeeKay wrote:RIP you explained all abbreviations except TK. WTF does that mean? I'm assuming TreeKat?
I owe all my goaltending experience to Teroh's TreeKitten.

TK = TreeKitten for those who don't know already
ProfessorX
Battle.net Name: ProfessorX
Battle.net Char Code: 1530

Post by ProfessorX » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Good shit Shadow!
I had a whole set of scripts written similar to this for a youtube tutorial series with video/pov examples, but it was taking forever. This is great though, I might steal a bit from this (jk pls halp me)

Also yes TKitten is freakin adorable, we need a ZH pet thread go go go
Kaioken
Battle.net Name: Kaioken
Battle.net Char Code: 266

Post by Kaioken » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:42 pm

This is a great guide!
OptimusReim
Battle.net Name: Reimer
Battle.net Char Code: 367

Post by OptimusReim » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:24 pm

Great write up. When I first started goaltending I would watch all my replays to see what I did well and what I did wrong. This way I wouldn't get beat by the same thing twice. I also asked for replays of goalies I respected to see from their POV and adapt it to my play. I think skaters could do the same
Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm
poopeybutt
Battle.net Name: cowsmoke
Battle.net Char Code: 1234
Battle.net Server: KR

Post by poopeybutt » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:48 pm

OptimusReim wrote:Great write up. When I first started goaltending I would watch all my replays to see what I did well and what I did wrong. This way I wouldn't get beat by the same thing twice. I also asked for replays of goalies I respected to see from their POV and adapt it to my play. I think skaters could do the same
+1

good idea
I might be on in a week or so...
LittleDicky
Battle.net Name: LittleDicky
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by LittleDicky » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:10 pm

You did write the basic info for stuff like Z charge or C, but you didn't explain how to properly use X and S in this guide at all :?:
ZotZ
Battle.net Name: ZotZ
Battle.net Char Code: 406

Post by ZotZ » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:42 pm

i will probably be linking this to the new players i encounter in pubs who seem interested in the game xD this is a great guide for anyone wanting to get into the game and the scene. its not too in depth and not too simple. just enough info to not overwhelm someone who isnt as involved with game as most of us :P great job Tenkz. you do need to add a little bit for the X ability :P the best part is the advice on goalie training.
iFound
Battle.net Name: iFound
Battle.net Char Code: 1907

Post by iFound » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:54 am

Awesome guide, I really want to start improving my game, but when I get into slumps I just give up. I'm gonna try switching to defense only.
P.S. I love the Human Benchmark reaction test! I am #6 :)
"Why speak always just play and lets go see who can speak alot after :/" - EU Goalie