Visual Focus

percial
Battle.net Name: Squirtle
Battle.net Char Code: 181
Battle.net Server: NA

Visual Focus

Post by percial » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:38 am

Hey brothers and sisters, and kWAK

During a game, where do your eyes focus?

If you have specific situations, please share.

I noticed that my defense improved significantly, once I stopped focusing on the puck with my peripheral vision (While my focus was on my zealot).
Now, I have reversed my focus. My eyes focus on the puck, and I make my clicks, and monitor my zealot position with my peripheral vision.

I have also started to apply this to when I'm on offense. In the past I would focus on my zealot, often times not being able to make correct judgements in terms of approaching defenders, passing outlets, lanes etc. As soon as I started focusing on those things and only heeding my zealot in a peripheral sense, I noticed immediate, and quite significant improvement.

I am now curious where your eyes focus. It seems like such a trivial thing. In fact, I did not even consider this for the longest time, but it definitely makes a big difference.

Get grimey A F chiyle pls.

Alright Chiwren ;D

-Pyrshle
Image Percial, formerly known as Squirtle, formerly known as Percial.
forumusername
Battle.net Name: kwakster
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Re: Visual Focus

Post by forumusername » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:47 am

kill urself jabroni
[+] ruckLUL

LF mediation
percial

Post by percial » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:22 am

Somebody hittem with the chiyle please..

percial

Post by percial » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:36 am

kWAK's just pissed cause he knows one day I'll upend him as a mid tier 2nd rounder, and he'll have to do seppuku out of shame...
MoS
Battle.net Name: MoS
Battle.net Char Code: 671
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by MoS » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:41 am

I try to stay aware of every players position/speed/momentum at any time.
In defense, if I'm doing some active defense, like pressuring, I focus on the enemy zealot. If I do some passing defense, it depends. If I'm covering a player, I focus on the player in question (not on the one with the puck, that's quite important, to remain close to the zealot you are covering). When I'm wider, covering long post for example, I focus on the player with puck while assuring my goalie is in a correct position.
On offense it's way more complicated and I could write pages about that. I will say that it helps to have teamates with whom you have discussed positioning before hand, then you don't really have to focus on their movement - just barely where they are and where they should be. Then the rest is like a puzzle game to discover the right passing or shooting lane, which means focusing a lot on the defense position/speed/momentum, their tiny movement, reaction time and so on.

In the end, I almost never look at my own zealot. I guess this is the opinion of a more support oriented player. Most of the movements are muscle memory. Which may not make me the best shooter/driver/scorer around.
LoOgiK
Battle.net Name: BlackPhilou
Battle.net Char Code: 2169
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by LoOgiK » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:46 am

im blind..
EUDL4 winner #10-0
1st best forum spammer
ZHCL 8 9 Winner
EUDL5 Manager
Redline tourney finalist

VOTE KURT FOR S10 COMMISION
maha
Battle.net Name: maharishi
Battle.net Char Code: 576

Post by maha » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:20 pm

I like to use my peripheral vision to keep track of other players on the ice (teammates and opponents) who are not really involved in the play. Most of the time, my main vision is on the puck carrier. In some situations though, like when I want to be 100% sure I'm convering someone on defense, I will put the guy im covering in my main vision, then back into periphery once I'm sure he's covered. On offense, while you're holding the puck, you don't want have main vision on your own zealot for very long unless you are under pressure and must defend from a possible steal.

It's more than just vision, though. You need to be good at dividing your brain's attention appropriately too.

edit: just played a ZH game while paying close attention to my main/peripheral vision. I definitely focus my main vision a lot on the puck/carrier, but will often take very quick glances at other parts of the ice to get a better idea of player positions relative to each other.
"This is the most absurd piece of garbage that can't even be applied to the actual league. Great job embarrassing yourselves."
Marker
Battle.net Name: Marker
Battle.net Char Code: 164

Post by Marker » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:52 pm

I usually focus on the puck as a goalie, but when they don't have a shot, their shot is completely covered, or one of my players has the puck, I will shift my vision to the person closest to the net.

PGP KEY

Code: Select all

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0BO0QBS9-l_SW03alNQMnF6Z0U/view?usp=sharing
Kaigo1
Battle.net Name: Kaigo

Post by Kaigo1 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:45 pm

If I'm the puck holder, I never look at myself cause I don't ever try to go through people usually; most of the time my vision is dedicated to drawing lines in my head. I usually instantly start charging my shot as soon as I get the puck and then draw lines based on staight line pass to the forward, top wall bounce pass, bottom bounce pass, top side shot, bottom side shot, and my offensive partners shot vision on goal. Off puck offense, I watch where the guy covering me is and try to force the triangle to spread the floor and get open for a shot. On defense, I watch the line between the guy I'm covering and the receiver/passer. If I'm guarding the passer, I also look for the distance that I can steal so I can left click, spin, then clear to open space away from goal. As soon as I get puck and am away from the opposing player, I turn to look for those offensive lines. I never really have a single player in my pereferal vision besides the goalies, only the lines, or if I'm close enough for a click battle in which I have to watch the hitboxes
Sid: HEAD OF STATS
Sid: DOES 0 STATS
Sid: SHAKE
Sid: MY
Sid: GOD
Sid: DAMN
Sid: HEAD
Tenkz
Battle.net Name: Tenkz

Post by Tenkz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:21 pm

I disregard zealots, only look at sticks. It helps a lot to give a better idea of how much danger you're in or where you have to be to prepare for a steal.
I keep my eye on the puck most of the time unless it's off screen. (camera always has my zealot in it)