[GUIDE] Help! I've been a Pub for months and I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

DiemodsLOL
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: [GUIDE] Help! I've been a Pub for months and I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Post by DiemodsLOL » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:09 am

Tenkz wrote:Though most of them won't admit it, this guide applies to dozens of pubs on either server NA or EU. The biggest problem with pubs from what I can see is that they don't develop like other players for several reasons.
1. They don't realize they aren't nearly as good as they can be.
2. They don't recognize their mistakes.
3. They don't understand the game.

This guide should cover these main 3 reasons, albeit there are possibly infinite reasons for a pub being stuck where they are.
I encourage everyone that hasn't been drafted in ZHL recently to read this guide since there's a good chance you're a pub.

1. They don't realize they aren't nearly as good as they can be.

If you've ever played a pub, you might know that most games are quite possibly the shittiest thing you've ever experienced. It almost feels like nobody actually wants to win. Everyone is playing the same offensive hypercarry role, some might even intentionally let in goals while in net so they can get back on the ice faster. Those people who continually do that will NEVER improve beyond a certain point.

Despite how awful the game might be, a lot of people don't recognize that at first. Newer players (or even people who've spent months only in pubs) will think it's just the normal way to play. As long as they're scoring goals they're happy. This is made worse by the points system which encourages goals far more than assists, passes, saves, or steals. Nobody in this environment is going to realize they aren't doing well, they're scoring goals after all!

So when this pub player gets into a higher level game and are given their chance to shine, they show the world that they are quite literally the worst player in the lobby almost every game. And that's fine.. unless they're doing the same exact thing every game. When I started playing I was pretty bad, not quite 10th round bad, but still pretty bad. I tried my best as goalie and skater, and volunteered to play whatever role needed. When I got into my first few inhouses, I offered to defend. I got to watch better players play offense, and I got to practice my clicking and coverage. Ironic as it seems given the crease spam meta, defense is far more controlled than offense and lets you see how the game is played, while playing offense is more chaotic and is just habitual spamclicking. If you're playing offense every game and losing, or performing poorly, it's time to take a look at your play. Change your role for a few games, but absolutely DO NOT get complacent with your play in lower tier games.

2. They don't recognize their mistakes.

This mistake is often in conjunction with mistake #3, but it's more important to address since you can get pretty far despite not having a clue how to properly play the damn game. It's impossible to say whether a situation is your mistake or not, and I would definitely not advocating asking the rest of your team (in a pub especially) because they will always blame you. Ask someone on the other team (who you know doesn't hate you) since their opinion will be less biased. Here are a few universal mistakes that should help to ease this:
  1. Turnover on a 2v1
  2. Turnover on your half of the ice
  3. Completely unnecessary turnover
  4. Horribly missed pass (uncatchable)
  5. Out of position as 3rd man
  6. Not passing to a more open player
  7. Having less than 15% of your team's passes (this is a necessary skill to learn, offense or not)
  8. Missing an easy catch
  9. Not rotating back on defense
Notice how nothing mentions missing shots? Shit happens. No matter how much you try to rectify it, you're still going to occasionally miss shots, so it's not worth mentioning here. Point is, if you're going to improve, you need to stay humble.

3. They don't understand the game.

This is most likely the hardest part of a player to fix. After even 200 games you might find yourself in unbreakable habits which hinder your play and development. These will be hard to fix, and I know several top players who still make horrible mistakes due to this. Understanding the game is undoubtedly difficult, and there's many aspects that you need to learn. This becomes even more difficult when you realize everyone has different interpretations of how to play the game.
Lingking walks to the crease and releases left click.
Nova holds the puck for 2/3 of the game.
Ruckle passes to the other team.

I'm not saying any one of these interpretations is better or worse than the others, but it's important to look at what's consistently important in each player's interpretation.

The most important facets of the game that I've seen in most players' interpretations of how to optimally play the game. In just about every player's beliefs, you'll find that possession is one of the most important aspects. The team with dominant possession will usually win unless they are unable to spark offense or their goalie makes horrid mistakes. From here the consistency wanes, as some players will favor offense, defense, passing, goaltending, etc... In truth it's important to be strong at all roles, as it'll improve your play dramatically. Versatility is extremely important if you're to look at Vapour, Proster, RusH, or most other top players. Those 3 in particular can do just about everything, hence why they've all been top 5 picks consistently in the past. Just do not undervalue possession. Don't take horrible shots for no reason, pointlessly giving the other team possession. Don't make unnecessary turnovers. Possession doesn't mean your individual possession - don't hold the puck for 4 minutes, but instead do what you can to ensure that your team will have possession when you don't.

Hopefully this helps to increase the development of players, especially those who have seem to be skill capped for the past year or so.

TL;DR

If you're playing bad in your current role, switch your role for a few games, try to get a better understanding of how to play. This mainly applies to offensive players instead of playing support, defense, or even goalie.
Make sure to understand and recognize mistakes you make, if you didn't read this I would go back to section 2 and see that section (which is by far the shortest) just for a quick rundown of this.
Do not undervalue possession or versatility. Make sure you understand there's more to the game than just taking 100 shots and scoring a few.

Who is this?

Do they still play ZH?
iFound
Battle.net Name: iFound
Battle.net Char Code: 1907

Re: [GUIDE] Help! I've been a Pub for months and I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Post by iFound » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:53 pm

Didn't tenkz just lose a zhl game. Why is he handing out advice?
"Why speak always just play and lets go see who can speak alot after :/" - EU Goalie
iSpyGecko
Battle.net Name: iSpyGecko
Battle.net Char Code: 1819

Post by iSpyGecko » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:07 pm

dont let muffinman beginning his owner career at 0-2 distract u from the fact the falcons blew a 28-3 lead in the superbowl vs the new england patriots

iFound
Battle.net Name: iFound
Battle.net Char Code: 1907

Post by iFound » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:14 pm

Don't let Cody being retarded distract you from the fact that the Cavs are going to get dominated the whole series.
"Why speak always just play and lets go see who can speak alot after :/" - EU Goalie