EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
LittleDicky
Battle.net Name: LittleDicky
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: EU

Re: Mondays With Mets

Post by LittleDicky » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:00 pm

OzyWho wrote: Mets, I very much love the fact that you chose EU Pub games for examples of bad defense :lol:
After showing off some NA league, he had to find games equivalent in skill level from EU.
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky

Post by DerrocK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:57 pm

OzyWho wrote: Memory tells me that Junky defender was the first one who didn't just try to stand between Pudel and the support puck holder but rather just stay ON Pudel. :|
sorry not exactly sure of what u mean by that. What i do with good clickers like poodle is either get between him and the support going as far away as possible from poodle while covering the pass to avoid getting restolen right as I block the pass OR staying close doing pre-steals
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3
EUS8 W

Narcissism at its best
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249
Battle.net Server: NA

Post by krazymen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Dustdevil is a fellow Cx ???? Ehhhh????? Pogchampion ???
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies
OzyWho
Battle.net Name: Ozy Who

Post by OzyWho » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:00 pm

DerrocK wrote: sorry not exactly sure of what u mean by that. What i do with good clickers like poodle is either get between him and the support going as far away as possible from poodle while covering the pass to avoid getting restolen right as I block the pass OR staying close doing pre-steals
https://youtu.be/YWupp9ppqF4?t=7m22s From here till like middle of 3rd period stuck in my mind as "Junky def was always ON Pudel in Season 5"
I think it's because of how all TMK games before that match were - defender standing between support and Pudel, support getting the puck to Pudel, Pudel is 1v1 vs goalie and scores.
Maybe you didn't try to be on top of him. But given how every team always failed to deny the pass to Pudel by covering the passing lane, I remember I kept thinking something like "Why don't defenders just stay ON pudel and spam the puck to the sides? Why they keep trying to cover passing lane if none ever succeeds vs team TMK?" - and then I see this game, it sure makes an impression on me.

Was it all accident? Was it not your team trying out stuff on how to counter TMK? Because what you describe is probably best play most of the time, but that season that team - they always got the puck to Pudel almost no matter who was covering the passing lane, so it was kinda a unique circumstance for defenders vs that team.

Bonus question: would you also try covering passing lane and keep your distance from the potential pass-receiver, if the puck holder support was MoS? That guy scares the crap out of me when he is support. He seems to always find that unexpected pass that everyone thought was covered. He scares me so much, that I almost rather he is a striker on breakthrough than he being support puck holder. As striker on a breakthrough, he is just top tier striker on a breakthrough, that shit happens all the time, I know at least what to expect and can try to prepare for it. While I can never prepare for those mos assisted 1timer goals because they often unexpected (at least when all def has regrouped).
We experience something, evaluate it, and then we feel an emotional response according to that evaluation.
Reason is emotion's slave and exists to rationalize emotional experience.
Rationalize emotional response in the present experience.
BacKFisCh
Battle.net Name: BacKFisCh
Battle.net Char Code: 396

Post by BacKFisCh » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:36 am

I'm by far not the reference but I'd agree with ozy on this one.
Against top strikers it seems to me that covering the pass lane between the support and the striker is a very risky option. It's basically a 1v1 vs you and the support where the supporter often finds a way to sneak the puck through causing a breakway.
In my eyes it is the same risk as taking a yolo steal. You're taking all your effort with positioning, etc in covering the pass and when this fails you're screwed.
So personally I'll try stay between the the offensive man and the goal or stay on him doing man coverage, but with the goal to keep the momentum to not let him be alone in front of the goal, even when he doesent have the puck but the suppoerter has.
Obviously it depends of who is the offensive threat, but with ppl like lulgik oder poddle this seems to be the way to go (in my eyes). Avoiding a goal even with covering the shooting lane or sitting on him spamming is hard enough
#votedraftleague2015
DerrocK
Battle.net Name: Junky

Post by DerrocK » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 am

OzyWho wrote:
Ok so I was doing the 2nd one in this case, if u notice I'm doing pre-clicks all the time even when he hasnt recieved the puck which is what I meant by pre-clicking

And the problem with mos is that every choice u make can be a correct one while not being safe because - pressure him-> you're at risk of getting destroyed. Stay between MoS and the striker-> MoS is capable of going around an almost perfect cover. Stay on the striker-> That leaves MoS enough room to score himself which he is more than capable of doing so.

It's just situational, some of the moves more risky than others but like I said it's situational -> "rest of your team: are they close to joining the defense or not?" ; "are you losing or winning?" ; "who is the striker?" ; "who is your goalie?" etc etc
COTEP W
EZHL S1 W
EU Open W
NA ZHPL S5 W
EUS2 Regular Season W, Commish, AllStar
EU Redline W
EUS6 Commish
Swedish Open 2v2 W
DaGOAT ZHCL Rings: 2
Best Support ZHPL S11
Nº1 EU Forum Poster
Immortals on ice Rings: 3