The Ultimate Goalie Guide

Anglefire
Battle.net Name: RamenNoodles
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: NA

The Ultimate Goalie Guide

Post by Anglefire » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Want to be a goalie? Are you already a goalie but just want to get better at it? Well in this topic I will be discussing 5 major things that a goalie needs to worry about accomplish.

Table of Content

Goalie Ability's

Reading Plays and blocking shots

Puck control (passing)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Goalie Ability's

So there are two ability's that a goalie has, they are:

First the check (boost) ability The boost ability that all players have is especially precious to goalies.[/i]

You do not want to use it too early.[/b] You really only want to use your boost when you are getting juked/mislead or in case of some snipes. Another thing that you do not want to do is be aggressive with your check. Such as trying to steal it when the other player is juking you (trying to trick you). The only time you can steal it is when the player is right at the line of your net you can get a little close to them and left click to steal it. Be careful though if they have a check that is not on cool down!

The next ability is the block ability which creates a force field around your goalie

This ability you want to use it when jukes, snipes, onetimers and whatever else comes your way. Especially onetimers though you want to use this combo: go to the post closest to the person that is going to pass just in case of a snipe and as soon as he passes it use X then Z to get to the other side and this should be able to slam away any onetimers or snipes. You really do not want to guess what is going to happen unless your reaction time is not great. You need to have good reactions to be a goalie.

The last ability that is not really an ability is the stop button (S)

The stop function is very vital to playing goalie. You need to be constantly pushing S while you are moving around the net. The reason for this is because when you click to where you want to go and you don't click again you will go to that place where you clicked and then you will turn around because of the ice drift and because the game thinks you still want to go to your last clicked location. So push S a lot!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Reading Plays and Blocking Shots

In this part of my guide I am going to be talking about the 3 main strategy's a zealot has to get a goal.

First off, Jukes

Jukes are basically tricks played on the goalie to get the goalie to use their ability's too soon. However jukes are the most hardest type of shot to stop. You mainly need to rely on your defense but if there is a break away this is what you need to do. You know it is a juke when the zealot starts to do a bunch of fancy stuff in front of your net.

Be patient and don't use your boost too soon

You can use your block as many times as you need in jukes, but do not use your boost (Z) too soon! Reaction timing comes into a huge affect with jukes. Usually in a jukes the Zealot is trying to get the puck into either the top side/post of your net or the bottom part. This is why if you use your boost in the wrong matter the zealot can easily get a goal. So think of it like this, only use your boost (Z) to get to the corners of your net. Then only use your Block (X) to block pucks that are for some reason shot in the center part of your net during a juke.

Another thing, Do not try to steal it from him/her! In other words don't be too aggressive as a goalie, Ever. The only time you can somewhat be aggressive is when the zealot is literally right next to you at your net. You can attempt to left click to steal the puck but even this is risky as a goalie.

So basically stay in front of the zealot, don't be too aggressive, and use your boost for corners and block for the center part of your net.

Secondly Snipes

Snipes are the most simple shots, but can be the most hardest shots to stop if you don't know what to look for. So snipes again they are where the zealot is either in the top, bottom, or center part of the rink staying back from your goal and charging their shot to sneak the puck into one of the sides of your net.

You know it is a snipe when the zealot is kind of moving slowly, avoiding defense, and is not trying to get close to your net. If they are trying to get close to your net, it is a juke.

Side rink/lane snipes

In a side lane snipe you have to still watch both of your posts/sides because the zealot can shoot at either one. You need to kind of stay with the zealot and do not go out of your net too far. You can come out of your net to a degree, basically just the front part of your net but you still need to watch your corners.

This is also where using the stop function comes into affect. Let's say the zealot is at the bottom of the rink going straight with the wall. you need to just stay in front of him while you are in your net. If he gets to almost the bottom of your net you still need to watch both your lower corner and your higher corner. Do not leave a crack between you and your post, because pucks can still get through. Use your block ability as soon as the puck is shot at you. However do not get tricked if they do a self pass.

Center rink/lane snipes

These kind of snipes can be especially devastating if there is the other team is on a break away and is heading straight for your goal. This is pretty simple to see that it is coming especially when they are not turning to one of your sides. What you need to do is come out of the net a little bit. Not too far. Just enough to block the shot easier. Basically just come out to the front of your net. Then as soon as they shoot, look to see where the puck is going and use your ability's accordingly.

Use your block and if that does not block it then use your boost to get to the puck before it scores. So X, and if necessary turn and Z.

One more thing about snipes, they can easily turn into one timers or a juke.

Lastly, One timers

One timers are where, when activated a zealot that is passed to instantly shoots the puck to where they were aiming (sometimes faster). You need to use both of your ability's in this case just in case it is a snipe.

You need to always be watching for open people that the current zealot can pass to. However, stay with that zealot that has the puck! Because if you just pay all of your attention to the player that can be passed to, odds are you are going to get sniped by the zealot that has the puck already.

Although when that open zealot gets passed to this is what you do; put your force field on (X) and as soon as you realize it is not a snipe, use your boost (Z) while your block is still active and slide to the other side of your net to block the one timer!

Another thing you need to worry about is that it could simply be a simple pass and not a one timer. So if that occurs you need to act like it is a juke and stay with that new person that has the puck and rely on your defense.

Puck control and passing

This is very important for a goalie because more than likely as soon as you make the block and get ready to pass the puck to your team, there is going to be a zealot from the other team, waiting, to steal your puck and make a goal. If they are right in front of your net you can do 3 things.

Hold it.

This will create a faceoff at the bottom of your goal if you hold the puck in your net for awhile.

Wait to pass it

This is the most in-effective way to pass the puck as goalie because the other team can easily steal your pass and make a goal if you are not careful. I do not recommend this, staying in your net to pass it is not the greatest idea.

Use your boost (Z) to get out of the net

This is where the goalie gets to juke the zealot to get the pass out. You need to use your boost to get out of the net and pass it to your team. However watch for the zealots. Constantly move and you will most likely have a happy team that loves their goalie.

Passing

In order to be a successful goalie you need to pass well. This means not just passing to the first person you see that is on your team. You HAVE to watch for the other team trying to steal your pass. Because more than likely they will try to. This is how to pass.

Watch for the other team.

You have to look at your team and see who is the most open and pass to the most open person without getting the puck stolen or one timer'd to back to your goal by the other team (it happens). So as soon as you see that open person, pass to them. Do not hesitate on passing! Unless of course they really are not open. Also be careful of Zealots getting ready to use their check and steal your puck that way. You can avoid this by not passing to anyone that is close to them.

Pass off walls

You need to use the walls to your advantage. If there is nobody open pass off the wall and get it to them that way. It may be pretty hard to pass off the wall at first, but give it some practice and you will be an expert wall passer in no time. However, do not just pass off the wall to be all fancy. If someone is open pass to them directly depending on how far away your team is. If they are super far you can use the wall.

In Conclusion

With these fairly simple tactics and strategy's and keeping calm. You should be able to be a very awesome goalie with a team that will be super happy to have you!

Comment, share, or suggest in a reply or a PM! :D

GL, HF!
Last edited by Anglefire on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:44 am, edited 10 times in total.
Anglefire
Battle.net Name: RamenNoodles

Re: The Ultimate Goalie Guide

Post by Anglefire » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Oops accidentally clicked submit when I was going to hit preview. Ugh I guess I will edit it later. Tell me your thoughts so far!
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249

Post by krazymen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:20 pm

cool guide will help a lot of people im sure
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies
Rawrus
Battle.net Name: DoomRawrus
Battle.net Char Code: 974

Post by Rawrus » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:55 am

I used to be a struggling goalie and I read this guide and since then people have begun to fear the DoomRawrus. Now it is true that my fatness could be the real reason for my improved blockage but I like to attribute this guide. Good Job.
Gnob
Battle.net Name:

Post by Gnob » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:14 pm

its all about the mind game between the goalie and the shooter. if you know your opponent and his style of shooting, it gets easier to block. so reading into your opponents style of shots can help with blocking. don't allow your opponent to shoot in his comfortable zone / the way he is used to.

also, in my opinion, using forcefield in a timely situation even when the opponent does not shoot is alright. you don't need to be patient with the forcefield if you are able to recognize when a powerful shot is coming your way. it gets their timing off and can put them in a worse position while buying you more time to cover the goal and also giving your team the opportunity to dash in to steal the puck.
Illusion
Battle.net Name: Illusion
Battle.net Char Code: 813

Post by Illusion » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:08 pm

thanks for this post angle, my goalie skills are much improved, if still lacking
Illusion
Battle.net Name: Illusion
Battle.net Char Code: 813

Post by Illusion » Mon May 12, 2014 4:11 pm

I gotta say one of the most simple tips that help people a lot is... DON'T USE Z !!! Of course u want to use it for one timers and if the puck handler uses it to get to the other post quickily, but soooooo many newer players use it when people come up and juke. If you stay calm and move back and forth with the handler everything will be ok !!! Don't freak out and use Z :P
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Mon May 12, 2014 4:45 pm

Illusion wrote:I gotta say one of the most simple tips that help people a lot is... DON'T USE Z !!! Of course u want to use it for one timers and if the puck handler uses it to get to the other post quickily, but soooooo many newer players use it when people come up and juke. If you stay calm and move back and forth with the handler everything will be ok !!! Don't freak out and use Z :P
truth. In early stages, using Z as goalie leads to more goals than it does saves.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile