Goalie Stuff

OptimusReim
Battle.net Name: Reimer
Battle.net Char Code: 367
Battle.net Server: NA

Goalie Stuff

Post by OptimusReim » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:30 pm

Disclaimer: Not everything in this guide will work every time. This is just a glimpse of what my thought process is while playing goalie. Use this as a tool to improve your own positioning. Note this strategy will not work every time but will improve your game. Variations are recommended, as you can stand further out or even deeper into the crease, do what makes you the most comfortable.

Playing Goalie is less about skill and mostly about probability. It is common to get a lucky break every so often but it is best to learn common positioning to consistently perform well. To improve the chances of you making a save there are 3 easy spots to stand in. Maybe I'll update it sometime, but this is just a resource so I can show a newer player.

There are only 3 places a goalie needs to put themselves.
Bottom
Middle

#1. Top Post - http://i.imgur.com/alYJ0QD.jpg

In the picture above you will see a number of things.

1, Teroh is committed top. This means I can also commit to the top, it is impossible for him to land a shot into the bottom post.

2. The danger zone (red) is where I would force-field. I use this as an indicator for a few reasons
- Most common place to shoot
- Largest area to cover (top, mid and bot)

- FF lasts 2.5 in-game seconds. Once it depletes the skater will have no angle.

3. I am also aware of Bobbyo and the potential 1-timer. I am prepared to dash to the bottom post , but cannot cover that shot until Teroh is no longer at a point he can shoot.
-Bobbyo is also in the middle of the slot, which is a common place to get meta'd. There is a possibility he will shoot to the corner you are already in or cancel his 1-timer to punish a fast reaction.

TL;DR position your stick on the top post to avoid letting lazy corner shots in

#2. Bottom - http://i.imgur.com/DNlKX4a.jpg

Like the previous position, this is just the mirrored version. Cover the bottom post because it is where the most common shots will come from.

#3. Middle - http://i.imgur.com/UXJiuXV.jpg

The Slot:

-A player skating in the slot has the ability to shoot top, bottom or middle. This is very hard to defend as goalie if you don't know where to position yourself.

-To defend the shot stand at the center, furthest point of the crease and force field when the skater passes through the face-off circles in your zone.

In the Crease
If they did not shoot or have the rebound then the timing of this should line up with the image above.

- It is best to stay in there face
move from the top of the crease to the back as they approach you in the slot.

- Stay on the side the skater is currently, the closer you are the less space they have to shoot the puck past you.

It should look something like this - http://i.imgur.com/yTnbSzG.jpg

And just like that they have no angle to shoot and it will be an easy save.
Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm
Anglefire
Battle.net Name: RamenNoodles
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Re: Goalie Stuff

Post by Anglefire » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:47 pm

He's trying to replace my guide D:
Cervalicious
Battle.net Name: Cervantez
Battle.net Char Code: 233

Post by Cervalicious » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:53 pm

Well, In his defense, he's top 3 goalies
http://gfycat.com/GroundedFantasticCrayfish
      • I FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO WORK THIS THING
get rekt
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: CN

Post by TeeKay » Thu May 01, 2014 12:29 am

My only problem with your guide is that Teroh is on your team in the first picture :P
Teroh
Legend
Battle.net Name: Teroh
Battle.net Char Code: 773

Post by Teroh » Thu May 01, 2014 1:47 am

TeeKay wrote:My only problem with your guide is that Teroh is on your team in the first picture :P
I looked at it and was like "But Reimer... I'm on your team ;_;"
reputed
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 696

Post by reputed » Thu May 01, 2014 1:56 am

Rant on qualities of great goalies besides the obvious

As a goalie, in the scenario which the skater has more than 1 second to dance in a breakway, I believe it really does come down to probability, assuming the skater moves perfectly. This stems from the fact that the skater has an x ability that lets them mini boost in a direction instantly, while goalies only have 1 large boost, one forcefield, both with 12 second cooldowns. As I've noted with testing, you need perfect reaction time to stop the perfect breakaway shot, i.e 1/16th of a second reaction time, if you have 'z' intact.

So as a human being, the probability of you stopping a perfect breakaway shot (when breakaway lasts long enough) is virtually 0 unless you guess in the right direction, and boost prematurely, sensing the shot coming. But to boost before the shot occurs is to allow the skater to make a split decision to hold the puck, and instead use 'x' at will and fire on the other side of the now wide-open net that you, as goalie, just z-boosted away from because you guessed a shot. This is why those 'Panic Z's' look so bad, even though they were just as much of a guess as the movement of turning your stick: you leave the net wide open, completely out of position. This is why I believe positioning is one of the most fundamental concepts to learn as a goalie. Superior positioning is what all top goalies have. Positioning yourself correctly in the given situation is the best method of minimizing the probability of a goal against you.

Another thing I find good to know is that adjust your goalieing depending on who you're playing against. If you know that particular skater always one-timers, or always hogs the puck and shoots, or always tries to dance for a short time, or a long time, it will give you a better chance of guessing his/her shot. Pretty much every skater I've seen has a predictable pattern of shooting, whether extremely evident or extremely subtle.

One more key quality that great goalies have is reading plays, and looking at least a couple seconds ahead in every play. Where do you think the puck will be in 3 seconds? Do you see that likely one-timer pass to that skater that just 'z' boosted down the middle with no defenders? Do you think this particular skater will try to meta you, and one-timer it in an unconventional spot? Do you think that player will shoot instead because you left a gap the size of 2-3 puck lengths from the near post to your stick? Answering these questions while you watch the play unfold will surely improve your goaltending, and will allow you to be prepared for the next play: not caught off guard.
OptimusReim
Battle.net Name: Reimer
Battle.net Char Code: 367

Post by OptimusReim » Thu May 01, 2014 3:04 am

reputed wrote:So as a human being, the probability of you stopping a perfect breakaway shot (when breakaway lasts long enough) is virtually 0 unless you guess in the right direction, and boost prematurely, sensing the shot coming. But to boost before the shot occurs is to allow the skater to make a split decision to hold the puck, and instead use 'x' at will and fire on the other side of the now wide-open net that you, as goalie, just z-boosted away from because you guessed a shot.
I agree. My thoughts are, it is better to stand still and miss the shot than to dash and leave an empty net. At least if you don't dash prematurely there is the chance they shoot it directly at you. If you are still an obstacle for the skater it gives your defence more time to get in the play.

Also, It is key to only adjust when they really commit to deke. That is why Guerrila rarely moves because if he stays still and the skater doesn't commit to a side and is gambling on Guerrila biting, then he automatically wins.
reputed wrote: Another thing I find good to know is that adjust your goalieing depending on who you're playing against.
It helps to have experience vs. people to know their tendencies. Vapour is a really good player who is dangerous because he plays unpredictably.

reputed wrote: looking at least a couple seconds ahead in every play. Where do you think the puck will be in 3 seconds?... Answering these questions while you watch the play unfold will surely improve your goaltending, and will allow you to be prepared for the next play: not caught off guard.
Field awareness makes making 1-timers a lot easier. I usually always have my finger resting on my Z, and press it the moment of the pass to shift to the next skater's angle.

All in all, I agree with everything you said. Especially the whole breakaways being rock-paper-scissors.
Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm
krazymen
Battle.net Name: krazymen
Battle.net Char Code: 249

Post by krazymen » Thu May 01, 2014 4:37 am

very good information great job
Bowling trophy (birthday trophy)
Achieved level 105 in starcraft 2
Undefeated in 5v5
self proclaimed director of ironic trophies
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Thu May 01, 2014 10:05 am

If you pretend Teroh is actually Cowsmoke in that first picture, it is very applicable. Nice guide.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Thu May 01, 2014 10:23 am

So I know the convention is to have your stick towards the post, but is there any benefit to having the back of the immortal towards the post in any situation? You'd already be facing or close to facing the direction of a boost to stop a conventional 1 timer. Or is it just safer to have the stick towards the post to make sure there isn't any space between you and the post?

Also, I haven't done this yet, but i plan on changing the stop hotkey "s" to "v." (if its even possible) Curious if anyone has done this. leaving one finger or contorting your hand to have 1 finger for forcefield, "x", and stop, "s", seems to really slow my reaction time when I'm trying to move with the skater once they have committed top or bottom.
Last edited by l)arkangel on Thu May 01, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile