Goalie Stuff

TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: CN

Re: Goalie Stuff

Post by TeeKay » Thu May 01, 2014 10:36 am

l)arkangel wrote:So I know the convention is to have your stick towards the post, but is there any benefit to having the back of the immortal towards the post in any situation? You'd already be facing or close to facing the direction of a boost to stop a conventional 1 timer. Or is it just safer to have the stick towards the post to make sure there isn't any space between you and the post?
What I've noticed about this is the stick to post better slightly because the grab area of stick seems to be a bit better than grab area of the immo's ass. I think if you are unsure if the ass will catch it, you will use X more on near shots to make sure, which then make you vulnerable to 2nd/3rd attempts without shield. If I get stuck that way with ass to goal I won't usually reposition myself until there is a clear change in possession bc I need the attention and mouse movements for if I have to save/shield/boost.
OptimusReim
Battle.net Name: Reimer
Battle.net Char Code: 367
Battle.net Server: NA

Post by OptimusReim » Thu May 01, 2014 1:42 pm

Watermelon wrote:If you pretend Teroh is actually Cowsmoke in that first picture, it is very applicable. Nice guide.
It would have been better if Teroh was on the other team, however I find it is always important to follow the puck when it is in your zone. Sometimes your teammate loses the puck, sometimes they pass to you, and sometimes they go rogue and switch teams lol.
l)arkangel wrote:So I know the convention is to have your stick towards the post, but is there any benefit to having the back of the immortal towards the post in any situation?
I've tested this. But sometimes the puck wouldn't be saved and would go through the goalie. I dont know if it was a fault of my own or a flaw with the goallie hitbox. So I find it safer to just keep your stick facing the post.
l)arkangel wrote: but i plan on changing the stop hotkey "s" to "v." (if its even possible) leaving one finger or contorting your hand to have 1 finger for forcefield, "x", and stop, "s", seems to really slow my reaction time when I'm trying to move with the skater once they have committed top or bottom.
But V is ping and that is a really important ability. jks

I just leave my ring finger on z and switch between X and S with my middle finger. I recommend practicing pressing S constantly every time you move as goalie so it feels natural. If that is still uncomfortable then I guess go ahead and try switching the global hot keys.

If you forcefield when they are in the slot and have the most angles to shoot at then you shouldn't have FF back to have to use both it and S. If you still have FF it is good to walk up to them in the crease and forcefield, sometimes it will even freeze the puck in your FF.
Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm
Xapos
Battle.net Name: Xapos
Battle.net Char Code: 1397

Post by Xapos » Sun May 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Great job on the guide!
Whirlwiind
Battle.net Name: Whirlwiind

Post by Whirlwiind » Wed May 07, 2014 11:40 am

Well, with this guide ima get up to 85% save rate (was at 81%, now at 80% cause I am having real lag issues). BTW speaking of lag is anyone else having lag? :?
"The lag is real" - Gandhi
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Thu May 08, 2014 2:39 pm

Whirlwiind wrote:BTW speaking of lag is anyone else having lag? :?
welcome to online gaming
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
Whirlwiind
Battle.net Name: Whirlwiind

Post by Whirlwiind » Fri May 09, 2014 8:50 am

Watermelon wrote:
Whirlwiind wrote:BTW speaking of lag is anyone else having lag? :?
welcome to online gaming
I feel welcomed.............. :(
"The lag is real" - Gandhi
Illusion
Battle.net Name: Illusion
Battle.net Char Code: 813

Post by Illusion » Mon May 19, 2014 1:03 am

I have just started practicing goalie and to be honest I'm not having much of an issue with most shots, even one timers. If you pay attention to what teammates are around the puck handler you can usually spot a one timer coming. My one weak spot, very weak spot, is when one is coming from top or bottom and shoots at the opposite post. I'd say 95% of the time I'm just ff'ing as they get closer and as soon as i hear that shot I charge to the other side to stop it. This works most of the time, but if they go for the close post I just ran out of that spot. When you have defenders in the way they obviously will plug the far post, but when it is a fast break do I just have to basically deal with a guess to where they are going? You said in your guide you use ff and by the time the 2. whatever seconds goes by they don't have an angle. I'm more talking about when they snipe from slightly beyond the faceoff spots and still do have the angle.
Illusion
Battle.net Name: Illusion
Battle.net Char Code: 813

Post by Illusion » Mon May 19, 2014 1:04 am

i guess i can pull myself even further out of the goal if i think they are going to do that to block off the angle.. hmm
OptimusReim
Battle.net Name: Reimer
Battle.net Char Code: 367

Post by OptimusReim » Mon May 19, 2014 1:35 am

Illusion wrote: .when one is coming from top or bottom and shoots at the opposite post...but when it is a fast break do I just have to basically deal with a guess to where they are going? You said in your guide you use ff and by the time the 2. whatever seconds goes by they don't have an angle. when they snipe from slightly beyond the faceoff spots and still do have the angle.
if you are too deep into the crease then the far post is vulnerable. shooting far post and not hitting the post is harder to make than the closer post, which is why it is more common and where i think the stick should face. i suggest coming further out of the crease and force-fielding, then going back into the crease when they are past the faceoff spot if it's really a problem.

I'd have to see an image of where they are and where you are positioned to really give an answer.
Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm Halogasm
CountryKen
Battle.net Name: CountryKen
Battle.net Char Code: 525

Post by CountryKen » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:40 pm

I have found that if you want to be a decent goalie.. find a guy like Rasp or Kaioken .. and pay them tons of money to be your best friend. These guys are constantly in the right place. Guarding back post , guarding 1 timers so you only have to worry about the shooter. And ( my favorite ) after i make a save by using boost and shield, I can dump it to them and they get the effin puck out of my zone. A lot of players try to be fancy right in front of the freakin net after my abilities are gone. lol STOP trying to out juke watermelon in front of my net.

TLDR : dedicated defender is crucial