Goalie Stuff

l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457
Battle.net Server: NA

Re: Goalie Stuff

Post by l)arkangel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:35 pm

random update: I changed my stop to V and i really like it. This allows boost/FF/stop each have their own finger. Small tweak but it's improved my play from a god awful goalie to just a bad one.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile
Illusion
Battle.net Name: Illusion
Battle.net Char Code: 813

Post by Illusion » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:09 pm

This only usually applies to public games where defenses can be atrocious, but what is the best strategy for when they eu stop right in front of goal and uve used the ff on their breakaway already? Basically the cheese that people use in shootouts. They can go either post and its basically a guessing game or you can move towards them to cut off angles/charge at them. Just wondering what the best course of action would be. Sometimes u z at the perfect time and guess right and get the save, but if you z too early they have an easy shot, and if u do charge they have a chance to move and charge past you. Once again I know people only have time to do this with very bad defensive play, but nonetheless.
steezysteve
Battle.net Name: steezysteve
Battle.net Char Code: 828

Post by steezysteve » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:31 pm

I'd count it as a free goal before they shoot it.
but i'd try to move towards them while pointing mystick to the left and then the right alternating sides to try to cut off angle
If f is a continuous real-valued function on a compact metric space M, then f is bounded on M.
CountryKen
Battle.net Name: CountryKen
Battle.net Char Code: 525

Post by CountryKen » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:38 pm

(If they still have boost )At that point like you said you defense has failed you and it has basically turned into a 50% shot. Best thing to do is pick a side and as soon as you hear the crack of the puck just boost to one side or the other. Then cuss your defense out regardless if they make the shot or not .. (If they dont have boost ) try to come out to them and cut off the angles because if they dont have their boost they should not be able to get around you and you can simply guide them to one side or the other. Main thing that will kill you with this tactic is the one timer so make sure that the person shooting has no other options to pass.
TeeKay
Legend
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0
Battle.net Server: CN

Post by TeeKay » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Illusion wrote:This only usually applies to public games where defenses can be atrocious, but what is the best strategy for when they eu stop right in front of goal and uve used the ff on their breakaway already? Basically the cheese that people use in shootouts. They can go either post and its basically a guessing game or you can move towards them to cut off angles/charge at them. Just wondering what the best course of action would be. Sometimes u z at the perfect time and guess right and get the save, but if you z too early they have an easy shot, and if u do charge they have a chance to move and charge past you. Once again I know people only have time to do this with very bad defensive play, but nonetheless.
Show me a replay sometime and I'll show you what I would do. However, one of the biggest things to goalie is mixing up your gameplay and trying different strategies so that:
1) you put the attacker on his heels and can force some mistakes just due to not knowing what you are going to do
2) get better at a number of strategies, each of which could be good in different situations.
Illusion
Battle.net Name: Illusion
Battle.net Char Code: 813

Post by Illusion » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:29 pm

thanks all