Positive or Negative?

Pinkamena
Battle.net Name: Assertive
Battle.net Char Code: 1414
Battle.net Server: NA

Positive or Negative?

Post by Pinkamena » Thu May 15, 2014 8:41 pm

What I've been noticing lately about when I play ZH in pubs and in ih is that I rarely ever score a goal, but I always get many intercepts and defensive steals. My S/T is generally somewhere around +4 but I get few assists and rarely ever goals. If I don't have aggressive teammates, my team generally loses. I assume this means that I'm a very defensive z in this game, but is it a positive or a negative? Is there anything I should work on? Thanks!
Last edited by Pinkamena on Tue May 20, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teroh
Legend
Battle.net Name: Teroh
Battle.net Char Code: 773

Re: Positive or Negative?

Post by Teroh » Thu May 15, 2014 9:17 pm

I don't think there's any downside to being skilled at a certain positions. Clearly, if you were being drafted into a league, a team leader would pick you to balance a purely skilled offensive player. Drafting you could also mean that an owner would be able to set up his team to be able to have a move aggressive playstyle, focusing on strong forecheck to cause turnovers or odd man rushes, since you would be there to defend. Don't worry about it being positive or negative in an inhouse game.
Watermelon
Battle.net Name: Watermelon
Battle.net Char Code: 1918

Post by Watermelon » Fri May 16, 2014 5:14 am

Don't let yourself be categorized into a certain mold. Any aspect of your game can be improved with practice. However, there's also nothing wrong with just focusing on improvement in one specific area. That's kinda what I did (I focused completely on passing for awhile).

I think the number one detriment to improvement in this game is stat-focused play. Instead of trying to force goals or steals or passes, focus on doing what you can to help your team win the game; the stats will follow naturally

On a side note, make sure your expectations are realistic. Regardless of how good you are, you can still lose if you have shitty teammates. Try to recognize when something is your fault and when it's not. If it is, practice improving it, and if it's not, just move on.
S4 Champ | Playoff MVP | "Best Owner"
EUDL7 Champ
BaseTradeTV ZH3K Winner
record for most goals in a ZHL game: http://www.zealothockey.net/event/450/
rasputin
Battle.net Name: rasputin
Battle.net Char Code: 759

Post by rasputin » Fri May 16, 2014 6:15 am

yeah speaking as a someone who plays alot of ih...and main focus on zealot hockey as a defensive person... being defensive isnt a bad quality and in many cases can be seen as a positive...but only focusing on pure defense can be bad. you have can have your defensive mindset, but it still always import to be able to step up and move forward with the puck and being able to score that way... since there will be many times where you will be needed to move forward and create plays and especially in pubs. But having a defensive mindset isnt bad and many times your goalie will love you for it, but you needed to be able to pass imo and get the puck up field or be able to drive it up field so there aren't multiple shots taken on your goalie. And if you are focusing on defense you have to remember to stick near the play so you can still maintain a support role, and are able to step up make a 1 timer or just receive a pass or loose puck and try to make a play off that. So in general you basically have to be able to do a little of everything, but not extremely OP.... u just need to take off pressure sometimes off the other 2 player and provide that 3thrd option that will force teams to guard u and make holes in the defense. and all of this may sound general and easy, but know when to break position and make the play takes alot of time and practice. if you can master this you can be a very solid overall player.... and it takes alot of time and patience, since i like to think im still learning on improving this area. But if you truly want to get better you should join some ih games.... its the best way to learn imo.
Whirlwiind
Battle.net Name: Whirlwiind
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by Whirlwiind » Fri May 16, 2014 8:55 am

rasputin wrote:yeah speaking as a someone who plays alot of ih...and main focus on zealot hockey as a defensive person... being defensive isnt a bad quality and in many cases can be seen as a positive...but only focusing on pure defense can be bad. you have can have your defensive mindset, but it still always import to be able to step up and move forward with the puck and being able to score that way... since there will be many times where you will be needed to move forward and create plays and especially in pubs. But having a defensive mindset isnt bad and many times your goalie will love you for it, but you needed to be able to pass imo and get the puck up field or be able to drive it up field so there aren't multiple shots taken on your goalie. And if you are focusing on defense you have to remember to stick near the play so you can still maintain a support role, and are able to step up make a 1 timer or just receive a pass or loose puck and try to make a play off that. So in general you basically have to be able to do a little of everything, but not extremely OP.... u just need to take off pressure sometimes off the other 2 player and provide that 3thrd option that will force teams to guard u and make holes in the defense. and all of this may sound general and easy, but know when to break position and make the play takes alot of time and practice. if you can master this you can be a very solid overall player.... and it takes alot of time and patience, since i like to think im still learning on improving this area. But if you truly want to get better you should join some ih games.... its the best way to learn imo.
I think that you can pass and score and play defense quite well just by sololy focusing on defense. Unlike defense, offense is kinda natural just through playing the game. There are many, many ways to play offense. You can chuck the puck up the board to allies, you can pass 1 timers, you can slap shot mid rink, you can straight up skate to the goal and shoot. Heck, even defense could be considered an offense. This is because offense means to push in an aggressive way. And to grab/block/delay the other team from not scoring is quite aggressive in my opinion.

I guess what I am trying to say is if you're good at defense then focus on you're defense cause you can never stop improving at something you're good at. And if you're good at it then you already got something going for you.

Imagine 2 guys who are GREAT at offense but suck at defense/goalie. Imagine 1 guy who is GREAT at defense but sucks at offense/goalie. Imagine 1 guy who is GREAT at goalie but sucks as offense/defense. Now imagine them all playing there wrong positions *facepalm*. Imagine them all playing there RIGHT positions. This is what keeps groups from teams. Groups join together to play. Teams work together to play. Find out what you're good at, and get better at it 8-)
"The lag is real" - Gandhi
PeterDLai
Battle.net Name: PeterDLai
Battle.net Char Code: 100

Post by PeterDLai » Fri May 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Just think of it like HIV, would you rather be positive or negative?
Wildfire
Legend
Battle.net Name: WildFire
Battle.net Char Code: 427

Post by Wildfire » Fri May 16, 2014 7:10 pm

"I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!"
brucecambell
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Post by brucecambell » Tue May 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Having d mindset is a wonderful thing..teaching peopleto have the right positioning on d is hard.. having that come naturally you means that you can focus on other aspects of your game...but like watermelon said..,just focus on helping your team win and the stats will follow
steezysteve
Battle.net Name: steezysteve
Battle.net Char Code: 828

Post by steezysteve » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:31 pm

Focusing on d is good but-
If you stay out of the offense then your team is playig a lot of 2v3 offense which is hard so theyll lose the puck more so the other teams will have more scoring opporunities so a defense only strat might hurt your defense. Just make yourself available enough on offense that someone has to guard you and make it a 2v2 for your team, or so youcan be open for passes and make it a 3v3
If f is a continuous real-valued function on a compact metric space M, then f is bounded on M.
l)arkangel
Battle.net Name: Darkangel
Battle.net Char Code: 1457

Post by l)arkangel » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:02 pm

I do not claim to be a pro nor do I think this is a fool proof strategy.

However, I think offenses usually work best when all players can at some point be ready to go on defense. A rotating offense is probably the best (not going to happen in pubs) which means you will always have one person in a defensive position, but it isn't always the same person. Setting up in a triangle obviously gives the largest passing range as has been proven be all team sports. This does not mean players will be open if you simply set up in a triangle though (with defensive player towards center ice). Having players rotate positions through making cuts and drives to the net forces the defense to constantly be moving which can lead to mistakes and open pass lanes. At some point though the defense may just clump up in front of the net making it extremely hard to get a snipe, which means someone will have to drive and someone should also be ready to be on defense.

My favorite kind of offense thrives on a good defense. Transition offense means you are able to steal the puck and quickly pass up the ice where hopefully 1-2 players on your team are charging down ice. Being able to pass on target is key for this. So if you're planning on playing defensively, I'd definitely get good at passing as well because defense is nothing if you can't move it up the ice for a quick breakaway. This kind of play doesn't present as many scoring opportunities as learning how to drive to the net and counter click to keep possession, but the chances of scoring are higher on a breakaway than the aforementioned.
*S5 Champion*

Player Profile