Why am i so bad?

DarthGandhi
Battle.net Name: CSDarthGandi
Battle.net Char Code: 100
Battle.net Server: NA

Why am i so bad?

Post by DarthGandhi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:42 pm

i dont know what im doing wrong i always do my best and never play like kurt or watermelon no matter how much i try i have been playing zh straight 3 weeks nd im still not good
Critt
Battle.net Name: Critt
Battle.net Char Code: 0

Re: Why am i so bad?

Post by Critt » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:18 pm

You have been playing for 3 weeks, they have been playing for months.
daggius2
Battle.net Name: daggius

Post by daggius2 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:55 pm

ull get good pretty soon takes like 150 games
kholin literally thinks it is possible to hold the puck continuously for 2.5 periods
PinkVoid
Battle.net Name:
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by PinkVoid » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:46 pm

daggius2 wrote:ull get good pretty soon takes like 150 games

With 150 games, one is not near top level, more 1500+
150 is a good number to make the switch from mainly pubs to IHes whenever possible. One step after another.
Templar fans battlenet://starcraft/group/2/225591 @ EU
Kaioken
Battle.net Name: Kaioken
Battle.net Char Code: 266

Post by Kaioken » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:19 pm

Critt wrote:You have been playing for 3 weeks, they have been playing for months.
O_O
DarthGandhi
Battle.net Name: CSDarthGandi
Battle.net Char Code: 100

Post by DarthGandhi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:24 pm

I have over 500 games played also.
xNCrush
Battle.net Name: Crush
Battle.net Char Code: 1661

Post by xNCrush » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:25 pm

DarthGandhi wrote:I have over 500 games played also.
Have you played many IH? I pubbed for my first two months and I was still decidedly average after about 500 games. After I started playing IH games I started seeing people do things that people don't do in pubs and realized "hey I should probably try doing that". Attempting to mimic the play I've seen in the higher level games lead to a jump in my performance. Now I've played over 1000 games, and I'm still far, far away from being the next Irish/Kurt/Watermelon/Guer/etc but I try to challenge myself with different things each time I play.

There are a lot of things that just come with time.

- When you're juking around a newer player, it's pretty easy
- When you're juking around an intermediate player, it gets harder because they have an idea of when and where you're going to stop and turn to try and evade them, and may "guess" where you're going a lot better
- When you're juking against an elite player, they have this "guessing" game down to a science, and will often know what you're going to do even before you know what you're going to do

So it becomes like a game of poker. Level 0 is "this is what I'm doing", level 1 is "this is what he thinks I'm going to do", level 2 is "this is what I think he thinks I'm going to do", level 3 is "this is what he thinks I think he thinks I'm going to do", and so on. Basically, you can't do the same things all the time, because this allows the really good players to play perfectly against you. You have to add some variation to your play.

At every position there are various things to consider.

I'm a terribly goalie so I won't recommend anything about playing goal.

If you play D, the things you need to get really good at are:
- Blocking passing lanes
- Being extremely careful with the use of your Z ability
- You basically never want to use your Z in a way that if you miss, the other team's skater(s) have a clear attack to the next
- You have to get really good at timing steals against the very common play you see in NA games where the attacking player is juking around right at the top of the crease waiting for the goalie to make a mistake
- Once you do get that steal, you have to get good at clearing the puck out of harms way before the attacking player steals it back from you (the great players are very, very good at timing left clicks)
- It's also extremely important to get good at passing off the boards when you play D, you'll very often find yourself in a situation where you have no direct line to a teammate, and a player is pursuing you on the attack
- Finally, you have to be smart. Trying things like juking around a fore checker is a horrible idea and you should never do it. Make a quick pass, or pass it back to the goalie (ideally softly so there's no danger of the puck going in your own net), or just throw it away into enemy territory

If you play offense:
- Find openings in the opposing team's defense, if you are looking for a pass and are covered, try to create an opening. I sometimes do this by right clicking behind my zealot briefly and then quickly right clicking again in front
- A lot of chemistry is involved, for example, if I see a gap open up but my teammate isn't quite there, but I know he still has his Z, I'll throw it into the gap and hope he reads this and uses his Z at the right time to catch the puck
- There is a very fine balance when it comes to juking offensively. Any command you issue reduces your shot power considerably, but you need a good hard shot/pass usually to attack a good defensive team. I am still in the process of trying to find the balance myself, I often can get myself into a shooting lane, only to let off a weak ass shot that even the worst goalies will stop. It's critical to be able to evade and still get off shots with power.
- As mentioned in the defensive section, left click timing becomes huge. A great place to score goals is right in front of the net, and you can expect to be facing at least one zealot trying to check you. If you read the situation right, and "resteal" when necessary, you give yourself more chances (and immensely frustrate the defense you're playing against ... seriously)
- If you're not in a position where taking yourself out of the play is a huge risk, use your Z to try to jump into passing lanes when you think you're reading a play. DON'T DO THIS IF THERE'S NOBODY BEHIND YOU TO COVER ON D.

Things everyone needs to be good at:
- Quick passes, holding the puck too long is almost always a mistake
- Smart decisions. Are you the last zealot back? Don't use your Z. Ever. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people use their Z as the last zealot back, only to watch the puck get turned over and a 3 on 0 chance go the other way.

There's probably a lot more to it, but that's my thoughts on the theory of being good.

Now to actually become good. Heh.
daggius2
Battle.net Name: daggius

Post by daggius2 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:54 pm

if u play or watch a lot of soccer or hockey then all the positioning and strategy already makes a lot of sense and all you gotta work on is your execution. after 500 games your execution should be fine. you should try to understand the more subtle things like your off the ball movement and general positioning that are really important. are you blocking passing and shooting lanes and covering guys . are you breaking very quickly when a turnover is happening. are u taking undue risks when there is an easy outlet pass available? mastery of this type of thing will win you mvp most games just by having more pickups and winning turnovers even if your execution sucks and you dont score a bunch.

its really important to keep track of where all the players are . like always keeping an eye on the minimap in dota. once you have this, you instinctively know where to move to create space or cut off passing lanes.
kholin literally thinks it is possible to hold the puck continuously for 2.5 periods
generalxl
Battle.net Name: generalxl
Battle.net Char Code: 810
Battle.net Server: EU

Post by generalxl » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Play for play is not the best way to improve also you dont need to play 1500 like said pink , I was good with 200 ;D
BTW you have to train with teamates in special lobbys training passes or new moves
thats the way I improved , more games dont mean you will be better ;D
Shoot like no tomorrow >:D
RusH
Battle.net Name:

Post by RusH » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:14 pm

You should definitely listen to General. He's #1 p4p champ